Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Lethargic engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 03:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lethargic engine?

I keep hearing that the new S5 engine is a bit lethargic off the line vs the previous supercharged one. Wondering how much of it is due to the engineers opting to pull back on certain parameters to balance performance vs fuel mileage and emissions, and if a reflash could address the concerns.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, for the first second or two it's like it's waiting for something then it really starts pulling. It feels like it starts in 3rd then realizes "oh, I should be in first". Sport or manual modes I find much better though.

It's honestly something that I end up hardly noticing for most driving as I don't usually just mash the peddle off the line and the rest of the car's characteristics more than make up for it.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm pretty much the same way so it likely won't bother me 99% of the time, especially since I'll be flipping it to Sport or whatever mode every time I get into the car.

Only thing is every once in a while when I romp on it (to pass or whatever) I wanna know it's going to respond quickly enough.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Loric76
Only thing is every once in a while when I romp on it (to pass or whatever) I wanna know it's going to respond quickly enough.
I really only notice it off the line. But I've only got just under 500km's on it and haven't done much passing yet. I'll pay attention to see if I notice it then. Generally, I find the shift changes pretty good after it's going.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

this is correct, takes a second or so after pedal is mashed down before it responds, after which it only takes 2-3 seconds before you're well over the city speed limits.

but yes, i can see where the "lethargic" comes from.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was somewhat surprised by the reviews mentioning the lethargic throttle response. Based on the few I've driven once you put it in dynamic and sport the response is almost immediate. I'm curious if these reviewers had the car set properly to test the acceleration.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't call it lethargic. In higher RPMs the performance is instantaneous like in dynamic mode. You can drive in this mode all the time at the cost of increased fuel and oil consumption. If you're cruising at lower RPM's and floor it there's a delay in power as the engine downshifts which was probably shorter with the previous DSG transmission. Naturally there is some turbo lag but it's minimized with the dual scroll turbo.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's amazing that Audi made the B9 A5/A4 better cars by including the s-tronic in those cars. Yet they remove the s-tronic for the performance S4/S5, claiming the higher torque is the reasoning.

I've not driven the B9 S5, but I was highly disappointed that the s-tronic was being replaced by the 8sp tip and the supercharger by a turbo. I would have to had heard numerous positive reviews, particularly from C&D, to give this B9/S5 a try. But now I've lost all interest in returning to an "S" car. The better value, IMO, is an S-line A5.

C&D was upset that the B8.5 S5 lost the roaring V8. However, they praised the car in many other ways to include its quick shifting s-tronic, responsive supercharger, it better weight distribution, electronic steering response and many other handling characteristics.

The true test to this B9 S5/S4 will be when they do their comparo against the likes of BMW, Lexus and Cadillac. Where previously, the B8.5 S5 was easily top dog.

Last edited by lmariorod; 06-19-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally drove the S5 SB yesterday...

... after three S-cars and an RS5, it was an interesting comparison. I had no truck with the power or acceleration. The choice of S-tronic was surely for smoothness since the 7-speed sees duty in lot's of high horsepower settings (such as the S6). And smooth is was, none of the familiar "******" into motion of the previous tranny - which I actually liked for its positive engagement. The car was a delight, although the new shifter is ridiculously more complicated than necessary and is a fix for something that wasn't broken. The virtual cockpit was circus-like as I prefer real gauges. However, in the important aspects, the car seemed great. The steering feel was numb, but that seems to be the deal now with electronic steering. The SB's extended wheelbase will be a hit to handling in comparison to the S5 Coupe, but it seemed to be plenty responsive.

To the point, my sense was the spool up time for the forced induction was not unreasonable and with a slight feathering of the tip-in, it just pulls like a a beast.

As the RS5 lease winds down, it is on the list with some hope for an RS5 SB.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 06-19-2017, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had the 3.0T in the A6, stage 1, prior to my new A5 and I felt the same as imariorod.
the 3.0T SC had more toque and SOTP feeling hands down over the new S5. Also sounded a lot better, I had res upgrades but still sounded mean at idle and load.

But my A6 8speed was a hunt and peck affair. Other then planning a launch, random street stomps were a 50/50 affair. Sometimes it would downshift sometimes it wouldn't. Sometimes it would short shift at 4500 other times it would hit 5500.

the new S5 is faster on the speedo for sure tbut the 99% driving experience for me didn't justify the cost. the A5 had a lot more power then prior 2.0 and the sound was great inside the cabin with dynamic exhaust mode and SOTP it didn't feel that much slower.
Hands down the tranny is way better in 7 speed then the 8 speed. It was so snappy and nimble I loved it.

I am debating on a neuspeed now or leave alone. But with Launch control it surprises many people.

Quick Reply: Lethargic engine?