Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Local Tint Shop Won't Do the Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Local Tint Shop Won't Do the Car

Hey guys, picked up my new a5sb on saturday. Today I called one of the few reputable local tint shops to get a quote and they told me that they wouldn't do the car due to problems with water pooling and shorting of electronics. I quickly searched the issue online and found that this is a known problem with the B8 coupe. Of course there isn't much info out there on the b9 SB. Has anyone else run into this issue?
Old 08-08-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wcquinn
Hey guys, picked up my new a5sb on saturday. Today I called one of the few reputable local tint shops to get a quote and they told me that they wouldn't do the car due to problems with water pooling and shorting of electronics. I quickly searched the issue online and found that this is a known problem with the B8 coupe. Of course there isn't much info out there on the b9 SB. Has anyone else run into this issue?
Always a concern when you do tinting due to the fact how much water these guys use....still, that being said a reputable, experienced shop should be able to pull this off no problem.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A coworker of mine uses a tint shop that said they've had problems with Audi's before. My tint guy did my 2016 A6, 2016 A5 Cab and both 2018 S5 SB and TT-RS with no issues.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had mine tinted with no problems.

I was aware of the problem with B8 and B8.5's. If done incorrectly, the moisture was destroying the amplifier.

They should have no problems with the SB especially.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 147 Likes on 91 Posts

My salesman gave me the name of the guy they use, and he came to me and didn't raise any issues. It's only been three days, but so far, so good.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where does the water pool? I don't know much about tinting, other than I'm looking to have mine done...
Old 08-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine tinted and its flawless so far. Its only been three days but I haven't encountered any problems. I saw the guy continuously wipe the water off the film and side panels as he did it. I don't see how water can be a huge issue unless they use a water hose to wet the windows. :/
Old 08-09-2017, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It was shorting out the amplifier found here in the B8 and 8.5 coupes if done incorrectly (not protecting the amp during installation).

Originally Posted by JRuby2004
Where does the water pool? I don't know much about tinting, other than I'm looking to have mine done...

Since the SB has a hatch, I don't see how this would be a problem during tinting.