Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Looking at S5/RS5 Sportback

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I test drove the Mercedes C43 amg, I felt like I was too old for that car. When I test drove the S5, it felt a lot more refined and comfortable, yet has all the performance I need on tap. In my opinion, that is one of the great attribute of the S5, it can be a comfortable car when I just want to go from point A to point B in comfort. The other side of the S5's personality is mean, aggressive and a lot of fun to drive.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Further to above comments:
  • ***: Depends how much you want to use ***. In the Audi, when you turn it off on the dash, it stays off for the duration. On the C450, it resets when you cycle through drive modes. Drove me crazy, as I found it hard to see the button from my driving position. Whilst I drive almost exclusively with the engine / transmission in S mode (which deactivates ***), I still turn it off as part of my start up routine. Even though my S5 SB actually never shuts down anyway (S5 Cab always does).
  • Comfort Mode: The C450/C43 has the best throttle response in the default start up mode vs BMW 340/440 and S5, IMO. But the S5 will start up in your preferred drive mode, unlike the Mercedes or the BMW. Audi can separate the engine/transmission mode from the drive mode, the settings being D and S. The car will always start in D mode to meet regulatory requirements. When you start the car and move the transmission lever to D, just pull back on the lever and the engine will switch from D to S mode. It is more flexible than the Mercedes and BMW systems, but it has one less map. The performance of the C450 and S5 is very similar - bit more low torque in the S5, bit more mid range punch in the C450. But so close, not a defining difference between the two. The S5 is quieter and more refined , which can affect perceptions.
  • You must have driven an S5 with the ventilated seats. In North America, the S sports seats (honeycomb) are the standard seat. You need a better dealer, or a salesperson that actually knows the car. That they didn't know how the trunk opens seems bizarre.
  • Yes, an RS5 is worth it in terms of performance. Much better than any of the other high performance options for carrying around your new baby, both in terms of comfort, space and safety. Assuming the RS5 Sportback does actually get delivered (to dealers, not to port) in your timeframe. If you are focussed solely on interiors, then no, just get an S5 SB. Drive an RS5 to check for yourself.
thanks so much to you and everyone else for their replies.

Re the seats maybe it is a canada thing, but s5s here only get the quilted seats, not the honeycomb which is an RS exclusive. We also don’t have an extended leather option for the dash or sides of the middle console in the S5 (the RS has the extended leather with stitching on the sides of the console).

Looks like I am going to have to shut the *** off, but I had gotten used to it on the Mercedes and liked the idea of not using gas when at a stop. Just can’t deal with the wheel locking up.

Re the trunk, yeah, I usually try to know more about a car than the salesperson but that was a bit ridiculous.

I may try to grab one of the last 18s in inventory this weekend. Wanted the mythos with black optics but the manhattan grey is really nice and the black optics is less important to me if the car isn’t black so might be worth it if they are prepared to deal.

Anyone in Canada get any good deals lately? We typically can’t drive the dealers under invoice here, but I’m hoping I can now as they get ready for their 19s.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by evanseric21
is the S5 worth it over the A5 - I'm sure some here will argue no and then many will say yes. Members have both and enjoy them.
is the RS5 worth it over the S5 - I'm sure some here will argue no and then some will say yes. Members have both and enjoy them.
Moral of the story is it's a decision you have to make. I am buying the RS5 SB because I want the extra power, I like the slightly upgraded interior as well as the slightly upgraded exterior.
Some make decisions on what they can afford other have all the money and go with practicality and won't buy more then what they "need". I don't think a "wrong" decision can be made with any of the vehicles.
It's your money spend it as you please.
thanks! Funny I’m sort of in the middle, cost isn’t really the issue and don’t mind getting more than I need but if I do that it makes it much harder to restrain my other half in her spending habits.

and not sire there are many people who can afford that...
Old 10-26-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mvwood

thanks so much to you and everyone else for their replies.

Re the seats maybe it is a canada thing, but s5s here only get the quilted seats, not the honeycomb which is an RS exclusive. We also don’t have an extended leather option for the dash or sides of the middle console in the S5 (the RS has the extended leather with stitching on the sides of the console).

Looks like I am going to have to shut the *** off, but I had gotten used to it on the Mercedes and liked the idea of not using gas when at a stop. Just can’t deal with the wheel locking up.

Re the trunk, yeah, I usually try to know more about a car than the salesperson but that was a bit ridiculous.

I may try to grab one of the last 18s in inventory this weekend. Wanted the mythos with black optics but the manhattan grey is really nice and the black optics is less important to me if the car isn’t black so might be worth it if they are prepared to deal.

Anyone in Canada get any good deals lately? We typically can’t drive the dealers under invoice here, but I’m hoping I can now as they get ready for their 19s.
I orderered a 2019 S5 SB on mythos black with Black optics and damping suspension. I was able to get a 4.5% discount which i felt was reasonable considering the 19s weren`t out yet. From what I`ve been told dealers only have a 7% margin in Canada so 5-7% for a 2019 felt like a stretch.

In the end it came up to around $78,000 CAD tax in. As for delivery, my invoice said january 31st but I have a feeling it might be sooner than that fingers crossed.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IvanLZ
I orderered a 2019 S5 SB on mythos black with Black optics and damping suspension. I was able to get a 4.5% discount which i felt was reasonable considering the 19s weren`t out yet. From what I`ve been told dealers only have a 7% margin in Canada so 5-7% for a 2019 felt like a stretch.

In the end it came up to around $78,000 CAD tax in. As for delivery, my invoice said january 31st but I have a feeling it might be sooner than that fingers crossed.
thanks - what are you doing for winter tires? I’m not a huge fan of the performance-only optioning cause I’ve never used winter tires before (I just try not to be stupid while it’s snowing).
Old 10-26-2018, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

thanks - what are you doing for winter tires? I’m not a huge fan of the performance-only optioning cause I’ve never used winter tires before (I just try not to be stupid while it’s snowing).
Will most likely get a separate set of wheels from an independent shop. Quoted some place and will set me back around 2K.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a new 2018 s5 sportback. Traded in a 2012 A7 that I cherished. To answer your questions:
kick feature is present to open the trunk.
you can use waze through the MMI.
The *** is less annoying than I thought it would be. It can be defeated a number of ways. If you shift into sport, it is deactivated, If you are in sport mode, it is always deactivated. If you move the "gear shifter" to the right, it is defeated. Or just push the button on the console.

S5 seats are the best audi seats I have ever had, and this is my sixth audi

RS5 is a completely different beast (and a hell of a buy for the money). However, I cant imagine driving it daily. It is a monster!

Last edited by RaudiA7; 11-06-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Audi Canada's winter package was good value...

I got 18" ten spoke wheels and Sottozero 3s for $2400. Regarding the ***, I just turn it on at stoplights when I want it and then turn it off again after I drive away. That way I come to a smooth stop and have the steering wheel where I want it. Obviously this could be a pain in a more urban area.

Last edited by NoMoreBMWs; 11-07-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I simply flick to D at a stop light, which makes the engine idle at a lower RPM and turns on Auto Start Stop.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Slides
I simply flick to D at a stop light, which makes the engine idle at a lower RPM and turns on Auto Start Stop.
Thanks - ended up signing for a 2018 and will pick up later this month. Very excited!

As for the ***, it really is too bad that it was executed with an impact on the steering wheel. I hated it in my 328 because the wheel locked and the whole car shook when it turned on but didn't mind it at all in my Mercedes because you didn't even notice it was on, other than the AC would reduce in intensity a bit. Unfortunately the way they executed on the S5 means it won't be used as much as it would have otherwise, which undermines the environmental value of having the technology in the first place.

But what scares me a bit is that they didn't actually need to execute this way but someone thought it would be a good idea to do it anyways. Always gives me a bit of doubt around a product or technology when it is designed in a way that suggests they didn't really think about how it would be used before it is implemented.

Quick Reply: Looking at S5/RS5 Sportback