Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Looking at S5/RS5 Sportback

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mvwood
As for the ***, it really is too bad that it was executed with an impact on the steering wheel. I hated it in my 328 because the wheel locked and the whole car shook when it turned on but didn't mind it at all in my Mercedes because you didn't even notice it was on, other than the AC would reduce in intensity a bit. Unfortunately the way they executed on the S5 means it won't be used as much as it would have otherwise, which undermines the environmental value of having the technology in the first place.
I am not sure which Mercedes you have, but when my 2015 Mercedes CLS550's engine shuts off due to ***, the steering wheel is has no power assist and the AC compressor is off. Mercedes does have a small aux. battery to keep the main battery from draining while *** is activates, but in no way does that small battery will run the AC compressor and the power steering system.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
I simply flick to D at a stop light, which makes the engine idle at a lower RPM and turns on Auto Start Stop.
Originally Posted by The G Man
I am not sure which Mercedes you have, but when my 2015 Mercedes CLS550's engine shuts off due to ***, the steering wheel is has no power assist and the AC compressor is off. Mercedes does have a small aux. battery to keep the main battery from draining while *** is activates, but in no way does that small battery will run the AC compressor and the power steering system.
It's the '16 C450 (which is basically the same car as the current model C43). Wheel still has full power, only impact is that the AC dials back a bit, which can cause some fogging issues but no big deal, and the car doesn't lag or shake when starting back up.

Other thing I'm going to miss is the hold function on the brake when let's you take your foot off the brake by depressing it all the way first. Not a huge feature but I've used it a bit and don't see why everyone doesn't do it.

Still these are obviously not deal breakers and I'm super excited to get into the S5...

Old 11-08-2018, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Other random stuff is also disabled when the engine shuts off:
  • The auto open for the sunroof and windows stops working, so you have to hold the button down
  • The windshield wipers stop wherever they are. This is a particularly weird one.
  • As mentioned, power steering & power brakes go away
  • AC stops
I believe that this is the sort thing that the new 48v electrical systems in the newest Audis and competition are intended to address.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
Other random stuff is also disabled when the engine shuts off:
  • The auto open for the sunroof and windows stops working, so you have to hold the button down
  • The windshield wipers stop wherever they are. This is a particularly weird one.
  • As mentioned, power steering & power brakes go away
  • AC stops
I believe that this is the sort thing that the new 48v electrical systems in the newest Audis and competition are intended to address.
thanks - some of these are bizarre. Definitely will be prt of my start-up routine to shut *** off.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does the Mercedes C43 have a 48 volt system?

Last edited by The G Man; 11-09-2018 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Does the Mercedes C43 have a 48 volt system?
No, only models with EQ Boost have the 48V system such as the all-new E53. The current and facelifted C-Class still has a 12V electrical architecture.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The marketing behind 48v seems focused on better efficiency and more engine power with or without a smaller engine, but I think the key is this (from here:

Basically, it offloads belt-driven systems to the 48v electrical system, reducing load on the engine and allowing the car to shut off the engine without affecting those components. It sounds like an evolution of the existing "recuperative" technology in current cars (including at least Audi & BMW) that can disengage the alternator when the driver mashes the accelerator, and explicitly engages it during coasting (signified by the green battery icon in the "consumption" display).
Some of that is already happening with 12V systems. Things like electric steering, electric oil pumps and other auxiliaries and then increase the alternator voltage to recoup energy and decouple the alternator when engine power is needed to reduce load on the engine. That's how the current power recuperation system works that Audi uses. The benefit of 48V is that you can transfer 4 times as much power using the same wire harnesses w/o increasing losses and having to beef up electronics and wires to deal with higher currents. Power = Current * Voltage, so 48V increases power four times without increasing current. This is also why EVs are now going to 800V batteries from the current 400V batteries. Double the power, half the charging time with largely the same wiring. More shielding is required, but you don't have to deal with higher thermal losses etc. So with 48V they can now electrify components that need more power, such as electric turbo chargers, AC and other systems.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-09-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:25 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Some of that is already happening with 12V systems. Things like electric steering, electric oil pumps and other auxiliaries and then increase the alternator voltage to recoup energy and decouple the alternator when engine power is needed to reduce load on the engine. That's how the current power recuperation system works that Audi uses. The benefit of 48V is that you can transfer 4 times as much power using the same wire harnesses w/o increasing losses and having to beef up electronics and wires to deal with higher currents. Power = Current * Voltage, so 48V increases power four times without increasing current. This is also why EVs are now going to 800V batteries from the current 400V batteries. Double the power, half the charging time with largely the same wiring. More shielding is required, but you don't have to deal with higher thermal losses etc. So with 48V they can now electrify components that need more power, such as electric turbo chargers, AC and other systems.
Does that mean that the AC compressor is now electrically driven as opposed to being driven off the crank?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nikon1

Does that mean that the AC compressor is now electrically driven as opposed to being driven off the crank?
Yes, and the water pump. Here's a brief article on Mercs' EQ Boost and in the last paragraph they mention the AC and I just found that it looks like some facelifted C-Class trim (C200 for example) are getting EQ Boost. I think the all-new A6/7/8 also have a 48V mild-hybrid system now, but I don't know if Audi uses it to power the AC.

The 48-volt system can also power the water pump and air-conditioning compressor, eliminating the need for belt-driven accessories, reducing drag losses and freeing space.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/exp...-benz-eq-boost
Old 11-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

@ superswiss — Thank You for your kind reply! This is my first German Car so I’m not following Mercedes or BMW.

Quick Reply: Looking at S5/RS5 Sportback