Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

In Love with my RS5 SB :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
Does using these conditioners help the leather avoid the shiny look when it’s older, or does that just come inevitably as a result of touching it and sitting on it and smoothing it down?

It definitely reduces the shiny look, as that is caused by the presence of body oils and other contaminants. I was able to prevent the steering wheel on my previous car from becoming permanently shiny by regular cleaning and conditioning it. You have no idea how grimy the steering wheels becomes until you clean it with a white towel.

If wrinkles in leather bother you, however, you should avoid buying the leather interior, as wrinkles are unavoidable. I use a set of high-end leather treatment products for both the protected and unprotected leather furniture in my house and they keep the leather looking almost new for years. As Nikon mentioned, reducing exposure to UV rays is also critical for maintaining leather long-term.

Last edited by JD15; 02-18-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
It definitely reduces the shiny look, as that is caused by the presence of body oils and other contaminants. I was able to prevent the steering wheel on my previous car from becoming permanently shiny by regular cleaning and conditioning it. You have no idea how grimy the steering wheels becomes until you clean it with a white towel.

If wrinkles in leather bother you, however, you should avoid buying the leather interior, as wrinkles are unavoidable. I use a set of high-end leather treatment products for both the protected and unprotected leather furniture in my house and they keep the leather looking almost new for years. As Nikon mentioned, reducing exposure to UV rays is also critical for maintaining leather long-term.
In Canada we are forced to get the full leather seats on the S5. I’ll try maintaining it monthly like you. For my B8 A4 steering wheel it still looks really good and I’ve never used special products, I just regularly wipe it with an Armor All wipe to get all the hand oils off, then a damp microfibre cloth to wipe whatever that leaves behind. My wheel feels clean to the touch after that and it looks fine to me, I don’t put leather products on it since I don’t want to get it on my hands.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt

In Canada we are forced to get the full leather seats on the S5. I’ll try maintaining it monthly like you. For my B8 A4 steering wheel it still looks really good and I’ve never used special products, I just regularly wipe it with an Armor All wipe to get all the hand oils off, then a damp microfibre cloth to wipe whatever that leaves behind. My wheel feels clean to the touch after that and it looks fine to me, I don’t put leather products on it since I don’t want to get it on my hands.
I would suggest some research on Armour All on leather. Unless all of my info is bad, Armor All uses plasticizers that are harmful to leather over the long run. The only positive comments I have found on Armor All , are from Armor All ads. I stopped using it using it years ago. I use Griott's or Lexol products with excellent results.

Last edited by Richr; 02-19-2019 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, Armor all should not be used on leather. Stick with a good leather cleaner and conditioner like Lexol.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

In love with my 2019 RS5 SB...

Day 1: Driver’s Education at Audi Club NW in Monroe WA. I was careful to drive the car only in Comfort throttle / engine.

It was great to find the limits and, get the shine off those new DWS tires!

Day 2: snow.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:25 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Day 1 looks awesome!

Day 2 has me even more envious!

Congratulations on your car and having an event out there to let you get a good feel for your car.

— John
Old 02-25-2019, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I love my RS5 SB... Part Deux
1) Every instructor at DE wanted a ride in my car. "The acceleration!" I had to explain I was in "Comfort", and not "Sport"... so not fully unleashing the beast.
2) Killer looks
3) Drivers assistance is da bomb. See below. Ate up the miles from Portland to Seattle and back. Over 600 miles on the clock after the first weekend.
4) Never thought I'd get suckered into / wowed by the LED Ambient Lighting package... but I am digging "impulse red".
5) DE days are fun! Grown men (and women and some kids) grinning like kids.

Pro tip:
6) when trying to re-activate your pre-sense / drivers assistance equipment after a DE day... REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE (DE Group) STICKER you put on top of the camera. :-)

Help needed:
7) when people say, "That'll buff right out"... How, exactly, is the process to buff? I came too close to a couple of cones, and need to buff out a scrape on each door. Well, broke that in! I have some turtle wax and will (when the car is clean and dry again) work the entire door? Or just the spot area?

Future "mod's"
8) Winter front and rear floor mats, cargo mat, cargo net (yeah, really, I have to pay for these! And, anyone notice the inflation between the A5, S5, and RS5 front mats? :-) $50, $90, $99 hahah), and black rings front and back... And, Black RS5 logo for rear.

Loving every moment. SOOOOO happy to have finally found myself in an RS car.

Last edited by BlackOptic; 02-25-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:37 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
1) Every instructor at DE wanted a ride in my car. "The acceleration!" I had to explain I was in "Comfort", and not "Sport"... so not fully unleashing the beast.
2) Killer looks
3) Drivers assistance is da bomb. See below. Ate up the miles from Portland to Seattle and back. Over 600 miles on the clock after the first weekend.
4) Never thought I'd get suckered into / wowed by the LED Ambient Lighting package... but I am digging "impulse red".

Pro tip:
6) when trying to re-activate your pre-sense / drivers assistance equipment after a DE day... REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE (DE Group) STICKER you put on top of the camera. :-)

Help needed:
7) when people say, "That'll buff right out"... How, exactly, is the process to buff? I came too close to a couple of cones, and need to buff out a scrape on each door. Well, broke that in! I have some turtle wax and will (when the car is clean and dry again) work the entire door? Or just the spot area?

Future "mod's"
8) Winter front and rear floor mats, cargo mat, cargo net (yeah, really, I have to pay for these! And, anyone notice the inflation between the A5, S5, and RS5 front mats? :-) $50, $90, $99 hahah), and black rings front and back... And, Black RS5 logo for rear.

So, I think what you’re saying — please correct me if I’m wrong — is you really embrace your car. . . Right?
Old 02-27-2019, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree, Armor all should not be used on leather. Stick with a good leather cleaner and conditioner like Lexol.
+1 the Lexol cleaner and conditioner works great and smells good too.. Just be sure to wipe it clean between steps and buff afterwards..
Old 03-17-2019, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
2) Killer looks

Pro tip:

Help needed:

Future "mod's"

Hmm great tips and input. Am envious and slightly curious on your thoughts of your RS5 SB vs what looks to be a 991.2 Carrera T in your stable. I have a 2013 991.1 which I am thinking of selling as well as my daily driver SUV for a 2019 RS5 SB soon. Could use the 991.1 as a daily driver but was going to let the Audi handle that duty. Would you keep both if you could? Interesting in your comparisons of the two.

BTW absolutely beautiful car!

Quick Reply: In Love with my RS5 SB :)