Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Major issue with S5 coupe 2018 electro-mechanical steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major issue with S5 coupe 2018 electro-mechanical steering

Good Day,

the S5 is my 3rd Audi, I owned an A4 & A6 before, now i know that both of them had adaptive/dynamic steering

When i bought the car i checked all features & options except for steering system, as i never suspected to have a problem there considering my great previous experience with Audi cars but boy was i wrong!

It turned out to be an electro-mechanichal steering, there is a very annoying gap in the center, not sure how to describe this, basically when I'm going down the road i can turn the steering wheel right & left almost 5 degrees in each direction without any noticeable response i.e. turning is not transferred to the tiers, in addition I have to always & continuously adjust the steering wheel to counter the slight tilts in the roads and wind effect

I love every bit of the car, but this issue is driving me crazy, call me stupid for not paying attention to the specs before purchasing the car but i now need to find a solution, is this normal with Audi electromechanical steering!!, does anyone have a similar problem? is there anyway to fix it?

I really wonder why would Audi install such system on a performance car where steering is supposed to be sporty & precis!

I would really appreciate your feedback & advise
Old 03-28-2018, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Yes, the Dynamic steering option is more direct than the standard steering system, as you have now realised.

However, your description of your steering obviously indicates your car has issues. If you take some time to read the forums here, you will see that many members do not have Dynamic steering option in their cars, yet have none of the symptoms you describe. Neither have any of the many "professional" reviews published across the globe.

You need to get the suspension geometry of your car checked. Toe angle, camber, scrub radius etc. Something is off in the alignment, the wheels, the tyres. Also, drive another B9 model without Dynamic steering - doesn't have to be an S5, anything will do. See how that compares to yours.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I had Michelin Pilot Sport 2 as original on a '13 RS5 and when they approached 20k miles they got really, and I mean really squirrelly. So tires could be part of the problem.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I have not had any issues with the steering on my S5. I find it to have a nice balance between precision and ease of driving. Perfect for a GT car.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have dynamic steering but I wish I didn't. I had a 2013 S5 and the steering was perfect. Now with my 2018 with dynamic, occasionally I have this zero effort feeling as if I just drove over a patch of ice then back onto dry pavement. It is very irritating. It is as if the steering was super power for about 1.5 seconds. In the middle of a curve or something where you are actually pushing on the steering wheel, it is very disconcerting.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Doesn't setting dynamic steering to dynamic mode lock in a fixed ratio?
Old 03-29-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

^^

Yes, it is a fixed ratio in Dynamic mode, tighter than the standard steering's ratio. Which I prefer, and why I got the Dynamic steering option. I don't like variable steering myself.

Sounds like S4iner has his steering set to Auto mode - never liked that either, even when my Audis had hydraulic steering. Changing weight in the middle of a corner is horrible IMO. Or else he has a problem.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys for the feedback & advice, issue i have seems to be a misalignment somewhere as Glisse mentioned, I forgot to mention that steering wheel is always noticeably off center when the cat is going straight, I'll take the car to the dealer for a check & let you know the outcome

Issues i mentioned aside, I actually like the overall behavior of the electo-mech steering, it goes with the GT character as you mentioned I just hope the dealer will figure out what is wrong with my car & fix it

I haven't encountered any quality issues with my previous Audi's, I also expect such premium cars to have very strict quality checks before leaving the factory hence i didn't suspect at first

will keep you posted, thanks again!