Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

In the market

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 03:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the market

I’m in the market for a new car goal to take delivery in October.
Was set on a BMW, never felt a ‘connection’ with any of their models. Drove an s5 sb this weekend and fell in love. Went to look at the rs5sb but the dealer wouldn’t let me test drive - said I needed to negotiate a purchase agreement first was told “people who purchase these cars don’t like miles on them” maybe I should’ve shown up in a brooks brothers suit?
3 questions
is the rs5 worth the price over the s5? I don’t think I’ll be tracking the car or modding much but who knows?
anybody know if US is to get matrix LED headlights?
is the new a6 as much fun to drive?
thanks all.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 880 Likes on 719 Posts

The RS models are a completely different “animal” than the rest of the lines. You will love it.

i have been very happy with my A6 as well.

good luck on your search
Old 02-11-2019, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oscarsq7
Was set on a BMW, never felt a ‘connection’ with any of their models. Drove an s5 sb this weekend and fell in love. Went to look at the rs5sb but the dealer wouldn’t let me test drive - said I needed to negotiate a purchase agreement first was told “people who purchase these cars don’t like miles on them” maybe I should’ve shown up in a brooks brothers suit?
3 questions
is the rs5 worth the price over the s5? I don’t think I’ll be tracking the car or modding much but who knows?
thanks all.
Were you happy with the performance of the S5? If yes, what does it matter how good the RS5 is. As to if it is worth the extra money, as most of us know, the higher you go up in car prices, the less return you will get for the dollar. The RS5 is special car, very limited production. The extra cost is not just for performance but for exclusivities as well. Only you can decide if the extra cost is worth that.
I believe Audi and other Euro manufacturers are still negotiating over the active headlights with the DOT.
I never the drove the new A6 but have own two of the last gen A6, they are not even close the performance of the S5.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Were you happy with the performance of the S5? If yes, what does it matter how good the RS5 is. As to if it is worth the extra money, as most of us know, the higher you go up in car prices, the less return you will get for the dollar. The RS5 is special car, very limited production. The extra cost is not just for performance but for exclusivities as well. Only you can decide if the extra cost is worth that.
I believe Audi and other Euro manufacturers are still negotiating over the active headlights with the DOT.
I never the drove the new A6 but have own two of the last gen A6, they are not even close the performance of the S5.
I was over the moon with the s5! Been thinking about it since my test drive. Trying to decide if I should even look at the Rs5; you can’t miss what you don’t know. On the other hand can I feel like I made an informed decision on the s5 without having looked at the RS5.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

3 questions
thanks all.
Is the RS5 worth the jump from a S5 is really a personal thing. When I started looking for a new car I thought I was set on the S4 but then I saw Audi was going to bring the A/S5 Sportback to the US so moved to being set on the S5 Sportback but didn't want to the first model year so by time the 2018s were getting ready to come out Audi announced the RS5 Sportback which I now have on order. For me I like the looks of the RS5 a lot better than the S5, the extra power and something that was more unique / rare. I could get a S5 and mod it up to get similar looks and power but doing a calculation of the cost it would take to do that made the price difference a non-issue for me to just get the RS5 and have all the feature I like without having to mod. Also no worries about warranty issues by doing power mods to an S5.

Here is a video that might give me a better idea between a S5 and RS5:

I was able to test drive a RS5 Coupe before any RS5 Sportbacks were in stock. They might have let me do that because they knew I was wanting the Sportback or because the Coupe I test drove has been sitting on the lot already for a few months. There is a good chance that any RS5 Sportbacks at a dealer right now have already been pre-sold so they shouldn't be allowing test drives in those.

I think only the new A6 and A7s (maybe the other models that have the new interior design too) can get the Matrix headlights. The Matrix / auto segment dimming will be disabled in the US though due to regulations but it sounds like those regulation might be changing soon so when that happens it sounds like quick software update at the dealer will enable that feature once the rules change.

I personally haven't driven a new A6 so don't really have any input on that. I like the size of my current A6 which the new A/S4 and A/S/RS5s have grown into while the new A6s are now bigger.

Last edited by heymoe; 02-11-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I was over the moon with the s5! Been thinking about it since my test drive. Trying to decide if I should even look at the Rs5; you can’t miss what you don’t know. On the other hand can I feel like I made an informed decision on the s5 without having looked at the RS5.
I bet if you find a bigger dealer, they might have a test drive RS5 or a manager's demo you can test drive. Tell your current salesman your intention of looking for another dealer who has a RS5 to test drive and I bet he will change his or her tune pretty quickly. Keep in mind the RS5 will have a much lower discount rate than the S5 due to its limited production.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:17 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I bet if you find a bigger dealer, they might have a test drive RS5 or a manager's demo you can test drive. Tell your current salesman your intention of looking for another dealer who has a RS5 to test drive and I bet he will change his or her tune pretty quickly. Keep in mind the RS5 will have a much lower discount rate than the S5 due to its limited production.
And, since you are looking for delivery 8 months from now you have the ability to really customize whatever you decide on — Custom exterior colors & optional interiors with an 8 month lead time, your options are limited only by your budget.

— John
Old 02-11-2019, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It was the new car manager who nixed the drive...they had 5 on the lot. I did send them an email detailing my intentions.
Im kind of looking at this purchase as a gift to myself. By no means do I intend to come of as pretentious but I work my butt off, own a successful business and made a lot of sacrifices, I think I’m ready to buy MY first NEW car.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
And, since you are looking for delivery 8 months from now you have the ability to really customize whatever you decide on — Custom exterior colors & optional interiors with an 8 month lead time, your options are limited only by your budget.
The last I heard, the only customization that can be done to an RS5 is an exclusive color and a Sonoma Green exclusive interior package in the US when I emailed the exclusive program a few months ago.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It was the new car manager who nixed the drive...they had 5 on the lot. I did send them an email detailing my intentions.
Im kind of looking at this purchase as a gift to myself. By no means do I intend to come of as pretentious but I work my butt off, own a successful business and made a lot of sacrifices, I think I’m ready to buy MY first NEW car.
I bet these Audi dealers have people coming in and asking for a test drive of the RS5 often, you need to convey to the new car manager that you are serious about considering the RS5. Some dealership has varies policies that try to filter out the joy riders. Requiring a refundable down payment and some sort of paper is properly one of those policies. Maybe try to call around different Audi dealerships and ask for a test drive of the RS5, I bet most of them will not just hand you the keys, they will require some sort of commitment.

Quick Reply: In the market