Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

In the market

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 05:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I bet these Audi dealers have people coming in and asking for a test drive of the RS5 often, you need to convey to the new car manager that you are serious about considering the RS5. Some dealership has varies policies that try to filter out the joy riders. Requiring a refundable down payment and some sort of paper is properly one of those policies. Maybe try to call around different Audi dealerships and ask for a test drive of the RS5, I bet most of them will not just hand you the keys, they will require some sort of commitment.
I do get that believe me I do but to be told “the people who purchase these cars don’t like miles on them, you can drive an s5” indicates they had already decided upon a preconception. Porsche had no trouble letting me drive a 100k cayenne s...
neither here nor there... waiting to hear back from another dealer.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oscarsq7
I do get that believe me I do but to be told “the people who purchase these cars don’t like miles on them, you can drive an s5” indicates they had already decided upon a preconception. Porsche had no trouble letting me drive a 100k cayenne s...
I am sure it wasn't personal, it is probably just dealership policy. Believe me, a 100K Porsche Cayenne is much more common than a RS5. On a side notice, my wife and I test drove the Cayenne, what a terrible car to drive, one is literally paying for the Porsche name. Good for you for contacting another dealer, Audi dealers are hit or miss around here, some provide much better customer service than others.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long does an rs5 order take to come in
Old 02-11-2019, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

How long does an rs5 order take to come in
The first ones ordered back in Sept/Oct 2018 arrived more or less late Dec/Jan I think. If you plan on doing a custom / exclusive color you will likely experience a pretty big delay right now due to the exclusive paint shop being renovated which in theory should be done hopefully this month plus them having to clear out the current queue of exclusive color builds. My order went in Oct 2018 and my current ETA is maybe May/June 2019 assuming the exclusive paint shop opens as scheduled.

UPDATE: Just got an update from Greg @ Audi Exclusive. The exclusive paint shop reopening has been pushed back to early April now.

Last edited by heymoe; 02-11-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

You could order an S5, put down the deposit and then tell them “ok now let me drive an RS5”. Since you’re 8 months away you can change your order. Of course you’ll have to prenegotiate the RA5 price beforehand.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive the 18 RS5, you’ll get the feedback you’re looking for and from what I’ve seen (in person and on this forum) there are plenty of those sitting around. Nobody can/should talk you into or out of the RS, there is no substitute for your own experience.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I’m in the market for a new car goal to take delivery in October.
Was set on a BMW, never felt a ‘connection’ with any of their models. Drove an s5 sb this weekend and fell in love. Went to look at the rs5sb but the dealer wouldn’t let me test drive - said I needed to negotiate a purchase agreement first was told “people who purchase these cars don’t like miles on them” maybe I should’ve shown up in a brooks brothers suit?
3 questions
is the rs5 worth the price over the s5? I don’t think I’ll be tracking the car or modding much but who knows?
anybody know if US is to get matrix LED headlights?
is the new a6 as much fun to drive?
thanks all.

I had a dealer pull the same line with me on the RS5. I convinced them to let me go on a 1-2 mile test drive. I was underwhelmed enough with the incremental performance of the RS5 that I asked around about whether the RS5 had a break-in ECU limiter like the M cars used to have (it doesn't). Thought there was maybe something wrong with that car, so I went to another dealer who let me take a longer drive of the RS5 and encouraged me to rip on it. Same impression.

For me, the RS5 is simply not worth the extra money. It's a great car, it looks gorgeous, and Audi RS car are always going to have prestige. But it's just not that much better than the S5. It is faster, but doesn't punch hard like a Quadrifoglio, C63, or Model 3 Performance does. The best way I could describe the power difference is that the RS feels like an S5 with an ECU tune. It doesn't sound particularly interesting even with the dynamic exhaust (I think the S5 is just as loud and sounds a little sweeter). And in the 8/10ths street driving I was able to do, there was no perceptible handling difference, other than that the RS was less comfortable on rough streets.

You may feel differently, and I certainly wish all the RS owners on here tons of enjoyment with their cars. But the RS gets into a really exclusive price bracket and doesn't quite have the goods to compete--at $85k I'd be taking a close look at an E43 or thinking about the jump to an E63 wagon. Or saving $18k+ and getting a Giulia or Stelvio Quad that will light your hair on fire every time you drive.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

was told “people who purchase these cars don’t like miles on them”
When I was looking at buying a Golf R, I was told the same thing.
I could not test drive a 40K car, so I test drove a 50K car instead and bought it.
lol
Old 02-13-2019, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I'm used to this kind of attitude from BMW dealers when it comes to test driving M models. It's been like that as far back as I can remember. Unless you place an order and get a credit check done, they don't hand you the keys, and even then you might have to wait for your car to come in, and then they let you drive it before signing the dotted line. If you don't like it then you can walk away. I've never gotten this attitude from other brands. I ordered a 2019 C63 S Coupe, and test drove two C63S Coupe at different dealers before placing the order. Not even a hint of attitude from the MB dealerships and C63s are not exactly common around here. The current RS5s are sitting around on the lots, at least the coupes. They are not selling particularly well. However, I bought my 2013 RS5 w/o ever test driving one, because there were none on any of the lots at the time. All were sold orders, so test driving one wasn't even an option. I haven't actually tried to go test drive a B9 RS5 at a dealership, so they may give me attitude now, too. Fortunately, back when it came out, we still had Audi on Demand here in San Francisco, through which one could rent all the different Audis all the way up to the R8. Before they shuttered their doors, they had gotten an RS5 for their fleet, so I was able to take it out and do a proper extensive test drive on all kinds of roads, including ripping through one of my favorite canyon roads. It was a 250 mile test drive. I walked away with much of the same impression as @Zed 2.0 and that led me to eventually ordering the facelifted and improved C63S instead. Picking it up in Germany at the beginning of May. Audi terminating their European Delivery program at the end of last year kinda sealed the deal, too. What bothered me the most about the RS5 is that it is up there in price with the C63S and M4, actually the M4 is now the cheapest of the bunch, but it just isn't different enough from the S5. The engine is the same engine at the core as the S5, just reinforced, given a second turbo and tuned. The transmission is the same, just with a smaller torque converter for a bit more response. The most distinctive difference is the suspension, which is quite good, if you get a chance to drive the car closer to 10/10th. It has a very good spread between Comfort and Dynamic mode, but the latter is very bumpy for normal driving, so not very useful, unless you are hauling it.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-13-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
I had a dealer pull the same line with me on the RS5. I convinced them to let me go on a 1-2 mile test drive. I was underwhelmed enough with the incremental performance of the RS5 that I asked around about whether the RS5 had a break-in ECU limiter like the M cars used to have (it doesn't). Thought there was maybe something wrong with that car, so I went to another dealer who let me take a longer drive of the RS5 and encouraged me to rip on it. Same impression.

For me, the RS5 is simply not worth the extra money. It's a great car, it looks gorgeous, and Audi RS car are always going to have prestige. But it's just not that much better than the S5. It is faster, but doesn't punch hard like a Quadrifoglio, C63, or Model 3 Performance does. The best way I could describe the power difference is that the RS feels like an S5 with an ECU tune. It doesn't sound particularly interesting even with the dynamic exhaust (I think the S5 is just as loud and sounds a little sweeter). And in the 8/10ths street driving I was able to do, there was no perceptible handling difference, other than that the RS was less comfortable on rough streets.

You may feel differently, and I certainly wish all the RS owners on here tons of enjoyment with their cars. But the RS gets into a really exclusive price bracket and doesn't quite have the goods to compete--at $85k I'd be taking a close look at an E43 or thinking about the jump to an E63 wagon. Or saving $18k+ and getting a Giulia or Stelvio Quad that will light your hair on fire every time you drive.
i agree with Zed’s comments. I have not driven the new RS5, but it’s performance numbers tell me the kind of power, and feel, to expect from it. Also agree that the Quad, C63 and M4 pack more punch. But, what I do love about the RS5, is the option of the Sportback, and it’s more aggresive exterior styling than the S5. It’s all a personal preference and you can’t go wrong with any car out there. We live in the best times to be car enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: In the market