AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   The meaning of MY17-20 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/meaning-my17-20-a-2963705/)

Alex Agostini 12-08-2018 12:38 PM

The meaning of MY17-20

1. Planning on buying a new Audi A5, and read this on their Audi website:

Google Earth is a trademark of Google Inc. Connect services are subject to technologies remaining commercially available, such services are not guaranteed, and may not be available after 2021 for equipped MY17-20 vehicles.

2. I thought it was for models prior to 2018, and that why some people are waiting for the 2019 model (to ensure buying something supportable \ upgrade-able in the future).

Nikon1 12-08-2018 01:42 PM

Welcome to “Audi-Speak!”

arrtewwx 12-08-2018 01:45 PM

Not that I’m relishing in this news, but makes me even more satisfied I went with a MY18 SB. Google earth overlay was one of only a small handful of items that I was wanting in a MY19-due to the extend support.

Tirgoman 12-08-2018 02:00 PM

What they're saying is that they are not guaranteeing that the mobile cell service will be available due to change of technology, however it needs to work at least through the 4 year warranty plus some. Sounds like a misunderstanding as though the current 4G LTE will get replaced by 5G the entire cell industry is built on backward redundancy so I wouldn't worry about it on a new vehicle. Unless the gov busts them up I don't think Google is going away.

Nikon1 12-08-2018 02:57 PM

There is an older thread devoted to this very subject. The “mile high view” is Google is changing the way they create and display their Google Earth images.

IIRC, Audi’s nVidia based display computers cannot display these new Google Earth images that will start showing up in 2021. Audi has been pretty mum on what they plan to do for cars equipped with the current MMI system — if anything.

So the “lawyer speak” is saying what you have paid for may be obsolete in the near future.

One of the Older Threads ——> Google Earth Going Away?

Another Older Thread ———-> Google Earth / Google Street View Going Away?

MH62 12-08-2018 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Alex Agostini (Post 25246277)
1. Planning on buying a new Audi A5, and read this on their Audi website:

Google Earth is a trademark of Google Inc. Connect services are subject to technologies remaining commercially available, such services are not guaranteed, and may not be available after 2021 for equipped MY17-20 vehicles.

2. I thought it was for models prior to 2018, and that why some people are waiting for the 2019 model (to ensure buying something supportable \ upgrade-able in the future).

It's all about wills and mays.

Last year they announced that Google Earth for MY2018 will not work after Dec 2020.

This one above informs you there's no guarantee Connect Services in general will be available beyond Dec 2021, which is not the same as saying they will stop. It's a disclaimer as they just don't want to commit to Connect Services forever with today's equipment. Makes sense to me.

MH62 12-08-2018 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nikon1 (Post 25246321)
There is an older thread devoted to this very subject. The “mile high view” is Google is changing the way they create and display their Google Earth images.

IIRC, Audi’s nVidia based display computers cannot display these new Google Earth images that will start showing up in 2021. Audi has been pretty mum on what they plan to do for cars equipped with the current MMI system — if anything.

So the “lawyer speak” is saying what you have paid for may be obsolete in the near future.

One of the Older Threads ——> Google Earth Going Away?

Another Older Thread ———-> Google Earth / Google Street View Going Away?

The latest lawyer disclaimer is not about Google Earth specifically (although it falls under Connect Services) and does not have an end date, so not to be confused with last year's thread, two different things.

Wildcat UA 12-08-2018 03:26 PM

What else can currently be displayed in the center that isn't dependent on this technology?

MH62 12-08-2018 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Wildcat UA (Post 25246333)
What else can currently be displayed in the center that isn't dependent on this technology?

Audi Connect includes Google Earth, wifi hotspot, my destinations, voice search, fuel prices, parking spots, news...

It's the stuff that most people don't buy beyond the free trial period.

JD15 12-08-2018 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wildcat UA (Post 25246333)

A standard navigation map without Google Earth overlay.