Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

MF survey

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MF survey

My S5 SB got released to carrier yesterday, about 5-10 days until delivery. My dealer gave me a MF of .00276 which I feel is high and not reflective of the posts I have seen on Edmunds.

For anyone who has picked theirs up yet and leased is this close to what you were given or way higher?
Old 05-24-2017, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bt7676
My S5 SB got released to carrier yesterday, about 5-10 days until delivery. My dealer gave me a MF of .00276 which I feel is high and not reflective of the posts I have seen on Edmunds.

For anyone who has picked theirs up yet and leased is this close to what you were given or way higher?
It is a bit high but here's how I see it. The best you could do is.00192 (according to Edmunds). A MF of .00192 equates to 4.6% which is $29.79 per month per $1000 borrowed/leased. .00276 is 6.624% or $30.71 per month per $1000.

So if the lease was for 36 months and $60k you'd pay 60 x ($30.71-$29.79)= $55.20 per month more than if you were able to get the .00192 which is very difficult right now. I could only get .00242 (5.8%) so I would pay $32.40 per month more. Since this was the best I could do with the MF I went after other factors that determined my monthly.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Audphile
It is a bit high but here's how I see it. The best you could do is.00192 (according to Edmunds). A MF of .00192 equates to 4.6% which is $29.79 per month per $1000 borrowed/leased. .00276 is 6.624% or $30.71 per month per $1000.

So if the lease was for 36 months and $60k you'd pay 60 x ($30.71-$29.79)= $55.20 per month more than if you were able to get the .00192 which is very difficult right now. I could only get .00242 (5.8%) so I would pay $32.40 per month more. Since this was the best I could do with the MF I went after other factors that determined my monthly.
I'm not too worried because I was able to negotiate over 5% off MSRP and my salesman made a $400 error in the initial agreement back in March that he said he will honor. However, still want to try to get it a little lower.

What are the "other factors" you went after?
Old 05-24-2017, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bt7676
I'm not too worried because I was able to negotiate over 5% off MSRP and my salesman made a $400 error in the initial agreement back in March that he said he will honor. However, still want to try to get it a little lower.

What are the "other factors" you went after?
Like you I went after the MSRP, got 4% off in addition to the $750 loyalty discount. Got them to zero out the processing fee, $299. They gave me a few bucks off the Audi Care then increased the RV from 60% to 61%, this is for a 36 month/15k miles per year lease.

This is a tough car to negotiate since it's in short supply and high demand. I was in the dealership for about 4 1/2 hours from start to finish.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

When it's time for me to start the negotiations on this car in September, my plan will be simple and will bring me back to my days as a fleet director:

1) I will request the email addresses of several Audi fleet/internet managers in the Bay Area.

2) I will draw up a simple letter stating my exact needs and requirements,explaining full well this is a factory-order.

3) The letter will reflect all the knowledge I have gleaned from this board and other resources, I will know all the answers to the questions so there will be no guessing.

4) I have already joined the ACNA for the 6% off MSRP incentive.

5) I will let them fight for my business and find the best deal that suits my needs and order the car for a December delivery.

When I was in the business many moons ago, I would receive many faxes of this nature and I plan on using the same approach and will NOT step into a dealership until all the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed.
The days of being in a dealership for a half a day or more are long gone.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar
When it's time for me to start the negotiations on this car in September, my plan will be simple and will bring me back to my days as a fleet director:

1) I will request the email addresses of several Audi fleet/internet managers in the Bay Area.

2) I will draw up a simple letter stating my exact needs and requirements,explaining full well this is a factory-order.

3) The letter will reflect all the knowledge I have gleaned from this board and other resources, I will know all the answers to the questions so there will be no guessing.

4) I have already joined the ACNA for the 6% off MSRP incentive.

5) I will let them fight for my business and find the best deal that suits my needs and order the car for a December delivery.

When I was in the business many moons ago, I would receive many faxes of this nature and I plan on using the same approach and will NOT step into a dealership until all the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed.
The days of being in a dealership for a half a day or more are long gone.
This! Follow this ... To some extend I also have adopted the same strategy and it does work.

I'll add that another route - instead of emailing - you can actually chat on-line with the dealers and then get on the phone w/ them. It works better if they have the car on the lot in inventory... even better if its end of quarter. I would look at historic B9 S4s and b8 S5s discount levels to determine a range of discount that is achievable... but always target for the outrageous ;-) ... bear in mind that trade-in value is key and helps to off-set sales tax (another reason to work on a higher trade-in value)... Some dealers are creative when they want your business and will find ways to achieve the numbers if they circumstances are right.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

so, i am now getting a cab & I stuck to my guns on the purchase.
I had an SB on order via one dealer, they happily switched me to the cab they have on the lot.
I knew from edmunds they were still marking up the MF and wouldn't go any lower and were giving me 3% on the car, which was "fair" in my eyes. But the Edmunds guy was pretty strong that there is no reason to pay a marked up MF.

I called 2 other dealers. One a friend referred me to where he has a relationship & one was a cold reach out to a dealer out of market.
I told them both of what my deal was & asked them if they would honor the ACOA discount, and if they would do an MF pass through on their rate.
both said 4.5% on a coupe, 4% on a Cab, no idea what they would do on a SB.
both would do a pass through on the MF. (which is the number given to me by edmunds)

My spidey sense says if you go to a dealer and claim that you have this deal (make it believable), they will beat it.

Getting my deposit back from original dealer. Had choice of 2 cars, equipped the same, one in Daytona Gray & one in Navarra Blue, going Navarra.

Pick up on Saturday.

Last edited by triguy914; 05-24-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
This! Follow this ... To some extend I also have adopted the same strategy and it does work.
Eh, that's harder and harder to do now. I know a lot of dealers who will ignore you or just reply back that they don't negotiate that way and they'll stick together so you can't play them off each other.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Eh, that's harder and harder to do now. I know a lot of dealers who will ignore you or just reply back that they don't negotiate that way and they'll stick together so you can't play them off each other.
I get that and see it, however when I ordered my SB, no one would talk discount. As soon as I told one guy i was going with another dealer because he had an earlier delivery date available, that guy said 3% off... took it back to the guy I placed the order with and he matched...
bottom line is if you don't try, you won't know.
today when you can do it by email and not spend so much time on the phone, it's too easy not to try..
also, check dealers that are 2 hrs drive away not in a major location, they may be more amenable. found that too.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had no luck with this approach. Two dealerships weren't even willing to discuss any deal details over the phone. I had two dealerships that finally got the S5 SB's on the same day and the race was on since they weren't getting anymore for many weeks.

Probably could have done better price wise if I had waited several months until the frenzy subsided...Oh well.

Quick Reply: MF survey