Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

MMI menu system hierarchy

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 05:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI menu system hierarchy

New '18 A5 sportback, in general love it so far. One strange thing is the menu system hierarchy. From the MMI home menu, scroll to Vehicle and click the MMI ****. It takes you to a sub-sub menu, the drive select. Then you have to hit the left button to go up one level.
i.e. from main menu (call that level 1), you skip down to level 3, then you have to say "back up" to go to level 2 with the left button. And why does it (arbitrarily) take you to drive select when there's a perfectly good hard button on the dash for that?
Is there any way to make the menus more sensible, level 1 to level 2 to level 3?
Old 08-11-2018, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by parichino
New '18 A5 sportback, in general love it so far. One strange thing is the menu system hierarchy. From the MMI home menu, scroll to Vehicle and click the MMI ****. It takes you to a sub-sub menu, the drive select. Then you have to hit the left button to go up one level.
i.e. from main menu (call that level 1), you skip down to level 3, then you have to say "back up" to go to level 2 with the left button. And why does it (arbitrarily) take you to drive select when there's a perfectly good hard button on the dash for that?
Is there any way to make the menus more sensible, level 1 to level 2 to level 3?
I feel your pain and I don't think there's a way to change it. It really confused me when I first got my car because I kept forgetting that there was a whole other menu to the left.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

That's just German efficiency. They know what you will want 90% of the time better than you even know. Just let it happen. Don't fight it.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your 1st sentence may or may not be sarcasm.
Your 2nd sentence certainly could be sarcasm.
Your 3rd sentence is ambiguous, and
your 4th sentence most certainly says, "this is not sarcasm at all, I just bend over and live with the crap technology that is given to me and don't question anything", which is an answer I cannot accept.

If your 2nd sentence is not sarcasm, why would I want to dig through a menu "90% of the time" to change the drive mode then there's a toggle switch on the dash for that, as I stated in my original post?
Old 08-12-2018, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by parichino
Your 1st sentence may or may not be sarcasm.
Your 2nd sentence certainly could be sarcasm.
Your 3rd sentence is ambiguous, and
your 4th sentence most certainly says, "this is not sarcasm at all, I just bend over and live with the crap technology that is given to me and don't question anything", which is an answer I cannot accept.

If your 2nd sentence is not sarcasm, why would I want to dig through a menu "90% of the time" to change the drive mode then there's a toggle switch on the dash for that, as I stated in my original post?
Welcome to German cars. Enjoy your stay.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Slides
Welcome to German cars. Enjoy your stay.
ok I understand now. I'm actually 98% happy with this car. This is just one minor thing. A couple years prior the map zoom and menu scroll directions worked opposite of what most people would expect. At least they fixed that.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am guessing the Audi engineers want us to find the driving modes screen first.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

But most things in that left are set it and forget it. Don't think I've adjusted anything since I got my car.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
But most things in that left are set it and forget it. Don't think I've adjusted anything since I got my car.
Fair point.

Quick Reply: MMI menu system hierarchy