Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

MMI menu system hierarchy

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by parichino
New '18 A5 sportback, in general love it so far. One strange thing is the menu system hierarchy. From the MMI home menu, scroll to Vehicle and click the MMI ****. It takes you to a sub-sub menu, the drive select. Then you have to hit the left button to go up one level.
i.e. from main menu (call that level 1), you skip down to level 3, then you have to say "back up" to go to level 2 with the left button. And why does it (arbitrarily) take you to drive select when there's a perfectly good hard button on the dash for that?
Is there any way to make the menus more sensible, level 1 to level 2 to level 3?
I also have found this menu hierarchy to be bizarre and non-intuitive. Just have to learn it. For those of us who have Active Lane Assist turned on without the on/off button on the stalk, it is the only way to adjust the late/early intervention for ALA.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by caranddriver
I also have found this menu hierarchy to be bizarre and non-intuitive. Just have to learn it. For those of us who have Active Lane Assist turned on without the on/off button on the stalk, it is the only way to adjust the late/early intervention for ALA.
Yep, that's my primary and maybe my only reason for needing to dig through that menu.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

The design is actually better than traditional navigation hierarchy once you're used to it. It keep your last used options fewer clicks away.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
The design is actually better than traditional navigation hierarchy once you're used to it. It keep your last used options fewer clicks away.
The problem with this menu is that it doesn’t keep track of the last thing I changed - it always reverts back to the redundant drive select menu and getting back to the early/late lane assist setting is really quite a chore.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I thought at first too, and that may have made some sense. But NO it does NOT keep your last option. Go to vehicle, it always takes to you directly to drive mode. Left button up a level, select something else like Driving Assistants. Back to main menu or radio or somwhere else. Now back to Vehicle. Always takes you to Drive Mode, regardless of the last thing you did in there.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by parichino
That's what I thought at first too, and that may have made some sense. But NO it does NOT keep your last option. Go to vehicle, it always takes to you directly to drive mode. Left button up a level, select something else like Driving Assistants. Back to main menu or radio or somwhere else. Now back to Vehicle. Always takes you to Drive Mode, regardless of the last thing you did in there.
It only reverts back to Drive Mode if you pressed the Back button to quit. If you press Menu to quit it saves your last selection. Now whether it saves it for an extended amount of time after the car is off that I don't know.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:56 PM
Tb5
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
But most things in that left are set it and forget it. Don't think I've adjusted anything since I got my car.

unless you want to take audi pre sense OFF every time you get in the car out of fear it will brake due to a false positive :\
but i got use to it now, and don't usually have to even look at the mmi to get to that setting., its sad cause it's like 14 steps to do this... ha

same with the 360 camera, i usually just go thru the extra 6 steps to get it to show when parking etc.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tb5
unless you want to take audi pre sense OFF every time you get in the car out of fear it will brake due to a false positive :\
but i got use to it now, and don't usually have to even look at the mmi to get to that setting., its sad cause it's like 14 steps to do this... ha

same with the 360 camera, i usually just go thru the extra 6 steps to get it to show when parking etc.
Ever since I stopped using my left turn signal while making a left turn I've had zero false braking from turn assist. I still use it for lane change though. What still bugs me is if a car in front is braking to make a right turn and you know you can just cruise and then go pass him, but pre-sense thinks you're about to collide and starts to false brake for you. That is a situation I still find very annoying.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever since I stopped using my left turn signal while making a left turn I've had zero false braking from turn assist. I still use it for lane change though. What still bugs me is if a car in front is braking to make a right turn and you know you can just cruise and then go pass him, but pre-sense thinks you're about to collide and starts to false brake for you. That is a situation I still find very annoying.
Totally agree- this situation is very annoying. Even after the car in front has completely finished making the turn and you're free-and-clear ahead, it still hesitates and then finally accelerates like a granny. oh well, this is not yet a full-blown self-driving car. It's a matter of learning the limitations of the system. Thankfully you can override it by stomping on the gas.