Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

My de-chromed scuba blue A5

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So describe what was done to the grill
Old 08-13-2017, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DBS1
So describe what was done to the grill
I would like to know as well - what parts were wrapped in black vinyl and what was left alone?
Old 08-13-2017, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by saxplayer
I would like to know as well - what parts were wrapped in black vinyl and what was left alone?
The whole outer edge and everything that was in chrome on the grill was wrapped in black gloss. The dark grayish parts were left as is, I like the way it matches with the dark gray rims. I really want the RS mesh grill but I'm waiting for a cheaper priced one to be made available.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The rims looks great powder coated. Got a guy who does parts for me for work. That is on my list. I am thinking of painting my calipers something darker. Need to do some research on who can do this in my area of northern CA. I have seen a lot of hack jobs by DIY'ers.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by norcalpatsfan
The rims looks great powder coated. Got a guy who does parts for me for work. That is on my list. I am thinking of painting my calipers something darker. Need to do some research on who can do this in my area of northern CA. I have seen a lot of hack jobs by DIY'ers.
Thanks, I think the wheels are my favorite part, love how they came out and it semi hides the brake dust which is a bonus.

I wanted to do my calipers in something different then the usual red but I couldn't decide what to do so just went with it. What color do you have in mind?
Old 08-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was thinking a dark gray with some form of black lettering. I believe the letters are simple stick on items. I considering getting crazy with Brembos when they come out but honestly the brakes are fine for my driving. Maybe some better pads that don't have so much dust in the future. Like the shaved emblems also. Been thinking about pulling out the heat gun and dental floss..
Old 08-14-2017, 01:18 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

RE: the calipers...

1. Did they have to be taken off to paint?

2. Is the lettering a decal/sticker?

thx!

-N8!
Old 08-14-2017, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by N8!
RE: the calipers...

1. Did they have to be taken off to paint?

2. Is the lettering a decal/sticker?

thx!

-N8!
They left them on. For the lettering I'm not 100% sure. To me it looks like maybe they used a stencil with black paint, I can't really see a sticker when I look close, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by anfnj22; 08-14-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by norcalpatsfan
I was thinking a dark gray with some form of black lettering. I believe the letters are simple stick on items. I considering getting crazy with Brembos when they come out but honestly the brakes are fine for my driving. Maybe some better pads that don't have so much dust in the future. Like the shaved emblems also. Been thinking about pulling out the heat gun and dental floss..
I think the dark gray would look good, and different then the usual, post pics if you decide to do it! It was the shops idea to take the badges off the back, im glad they suggested it, much cleaner look.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that looks excellent! Almost identical to what I've had in mind for my Mythos Black......Great job!

Quick Reply: My de-chromed scuba blue A5