Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Electric Fan when Engine Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Electric Fan when Engine Off

Every Audi I have, or have had, turns on a fan when it's hot and you shut the engine off. It's been hot here the last few days and not once have I heard my S5 SB fan run after the engine has been shut down.

Anyone hear a fan run after shutting down on a hot day?
Old 06-14-2017, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup. I've noticed a fan running on my coupe for a bit after turning the car off.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jamis
Yup. I've noticed a fan running on my coupe for a bit after turning the car off.
Thanks, Jamis. I'm taking my SB into the dealer on Friday, think I have a screw running around in my front passenger door that's driving me nuts. I'll ask them to check why I can't hear a fan run when I think it should.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

The electric cooling fans will only come on if the coolant temp reaches a certain temp. If the coolant is below that temp when/after the car is shut off, the fans will not turn on.

There are so many variables as to what the coolant temp will be when the car is first shut off. Typically, the coolant will only reach that temp in hotter climates and/or if the car had been idling for long periods of time just before shutting off the car.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
The electric cooling fans will only come on if the coolant temp reaches a certain temp. If the coolant is below that temp when/after the car is shut off, the fans will not turn on.

There are so many variables as to what the coolant temp will be when the car is first shut off. Typically, the coolant will only reach that temp in hotter climates and/or if the car had been idling for long periods of time just before shutting off the car.
I realize that it will only come on when certain criteria are met. I had been driving for awhile and it was in the 90's when I pulled into my garage. I thought it would have been hot enough for the fans to run. I'll have the dealer check it out since I'll be there anyway.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is regularly on after I shut the car off. It actually throws me a bit...I keep going back in to make sure i actually *did* shut it off.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah mine comes on too, it all depends how hard you drove the car before shutting off it seems.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

So arrived at the dealers to see what might be in my door that's sliding around and ask about the cooling fan.

Service advisor wanted me to drive around with him to hear the noise so I drove doing quick accelerations and stops to get the object to slide. I heard it once but he didn't. Gave me static about how Audi wasn't going to pay to remove the door panel when we arrived back at the dealership.

Once we arrived and I shut the car down and the fan was on, so I at least know it is working when it needs too, must have been the quick starts and stops that heated it up enough for the fan to say on.

I opened the passenger door and wiggled it and could hear a small rattling sound that convinced him to have the door panel removed. About 15 minutes later the tech informed me he found a small piece of plastic loose in the door.