Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

My Sonoma Green RS5 Sportback - The Greenback?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

@Rob O Does your hands free truck opening function still work after you converted to the carbon rear diffuser?
Old 03-18-2019, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoe
@Rob O Does your hands free truck opening function still work after you converted to the carbon rear diffuser?
I haven't tried it yet (haven't had the car in my possession yet since CF diffuser install). Will report back once I have it and try.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Nice thread. How did you get OEM CF bits? I am looking at an 19 RS5 SB now with the aluminium trim which I dislike but dealer says other options are not available after the fact (i.e. CF or black Optics). Seems that is not true? Looks great Rob!
You can retrofit all of the Alu optics trim with either OE Black Optics or OE CF trim. There are a few sources. I got the front "blades" (and the trim between them) plus rear diffuser from a guy who's on Audizine (and now IG); his screen name over there is 'little devil' (on IG the account is @ldc_oem I think). He's in Germany and sources both new and used OE euro-spec parts. Also bought full black-out badge / ring kit from him. Another person to contact would be 'noggy_allrad' on IG. Pretty sure he's active on both AW and AZ as well. He can get any euro-spec parts, and the OE CF stuff was cheaper to buy euro-spec than to source as US-spec replacement parts from a dealership or parts seller Stateside.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

900 horsepower

Old 03-24-2019, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob O
You can retrofit all of the Alu optics trim with either OE Black Optics or OE CF trim. There are a few sources. I got the front "blades" (and the trim between them) plus rear diffuser from a guy who's on Audizine (and now IG); his screen name over there is 'little devil' (on IG the account is @ldc_oem I think). He's in Germany and sources both new and used OE euro-spec parts. Also bought full black-out badge / ring kit from him. Another person to contact would be 'noggy_allrad' on IG. Pretty sure he's active on both AW and AZ as well. He can get any euro-spec parts, and the OE CF stuff was cheaper to buy euro-spec than to source as US-spec replacement parts from a dealership or parts seller Stateside.
That's good to know but I did find a car with the Black Optics package already on-board from the factory which is great but yest do want the full out black out package so will have to check those links out man. Much appreciated. Rob
Old 04-02-2019, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob O
I love Nardo. And in person, on the RS5 SB with BO/CF, it's amazing; perfectly matched car to paint ... despite my wife saying "it may be paint, but it's not a color."

My issue is how Nardo has blown up and "feels" like it's everywhere now. Hell, Toyota/Scion were really first to the party with Cement Gray years before Audi's Nardo hit the scene. Regardless, the color can now be found on everything from Kia to Dodge to PTS 911s. There are even wraps that closely mimic the color, and just last week I saw a Range Rover Classic rebuild resprayed in Nardo (literally, Audi's paint code ... not just a "generic" Nardo). Sadly all those other models out there running some variation of that paint style just dilutes how special it is on certain cars ... like the RS5 SB.

It's also easy for those of us on the forums and instagram (et al) to forget we view things in a bubble. While the color is everywhere on the interwebs, even played out a bit as described above, Nardo is still unique in the broader sense and still special outside the enthusiast world. No reason not to love it.
While Nardo is the best of the "flat" grays- it is the "hot color" now and that makes me not want NARDO on my new RS5- Sonoma it is. I am not sure of the Sportback though- its a longer heavier car than the coupe and may not be as sharp when carving up the Texas Hill country roads? And the B pillar is obviously further back on the coupe. But I can see where the Sportback is a nicer look from some angles for sure. Enjoy yours in good health!
Old 04-05-2019, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

First round of OEM+ mods complete ... with a whopping 197 miles on the clock:

Abt HAS suspension (did have to dial up the front about 6mm the next morning)
OEM Euro-spec headlights
OEM Euro-spec taillights
OE Carbon Fiber trim retrofit (front "blades", rear diffuser, side skirt insets)
OE Carbon Fiber mirror caps
XPEL Ultimate PPF
Ceramic Pro Gold
Window tint (including windshield)
Spacers for OE wheels (12f/15r)
OE Audi All-weather rubber mats (RS branded front)
Weathertech cargo area rubber mat (Audi's is branded with A5, and do not have S or RS specific versions)

Next up:

Wheels - Vossen Forged (20x10.5 S21-01s), in production and hopefully to me in a couple weeks, with either 285 or 295 Michelin PS4S tires
Exhaust - Milltek Race, also in production and about 4 weeks out as of yesterday
OE black badges/emblems/rings (in the garage, just need to install)

I literally left the shop after picking it up late Wednesday and pulled into a nearby parking lot to admire it. Absolutely love how it's coming along.
Excuse the cheesy music ... that's one of like 7 audio tracks available in Adobe Clip.

Then, late yesterday, I threw on the Vossen Forged S17-01s I was running on the S5 SB, plus 5mm spacers, to see how they looked. I think I like it enough to run these (even without TPMS) until the new Vossens arrive later this month.

Last edited by Rob O; 04-05-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

All I can say I wow! Beautiful RS Rob! The wheels set it off.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely beautiful! Whats the difference in Xpel PPF and Ceramic coating?
Old 04-05-2019, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Xpel is paint protection film. Ceramic coating also protects paint, but it's more like a very durable wax.

Quick Reply: My Sonoma Green RS5 Sportback - The Greenback?