Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Nardo Gray vs Quantum Gray Metalllic

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Not always the most accurate, but
Thanks. I think I have a good feel for the two colors now. Quantum Gray looks very nice in certain lighting conditions and when it's on its own but when you see it next to Nardo gray it doesn't look as good. When comparing individually its hard for me to tell the difference in some photos and videos.
I'm going to have to bite the bullet and wait for Nardo Gray. If I didn't wait and I seen a Nardo Gray vehicle It would just upset me and I would be mad that I wasn't patient enough to wait a few more months
Old 07-31-2018, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I debated between a Daytona Gray and Nardo Gray RS5 prior to lease. I decided to go with Nardo, as I had a Daytona S5 that I was turning in. For my personal taste, I made the right decision. I am in absolute love with the color (and car for that matter).

I've had my Nardo Gray RS5 for about 3 weeks. I've gotten lots of compliments from friends and passerby stating they love the color. The manager of the garage (where I park my car) told me the other day that people are constantly commenting how beautiful the color is.
The following users liked this post:
jrjunior31 (03-09-2022)
Old 07-31-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmfnyc
I debated between a Daytona Gray and Nardo Gray RS5 prior to lease. I decided to go with Nardo, as I had a Daytona S5 that I was turning in. For my personal taste, I made the right decision. I am in absolute love with the color (and car for that matter).

I've had my Nardo Gray RS5 for about 3 weeks. I've gotten lots of compliments from friends and passerby stating they love the color. The manager of the garage (where I park my car) told me the other day that people are constantly commenting how beautiful the color is.
The thing that sucks now is the Exclusive Paint Shop in Ingolstadt is shut down for renovations until mid to late January. I got confirmation from multiple sources. So that is pushing my purchase out quite a bit. I'm thinking that if I'm going to wait then I'll just go with the RS5 Sportback and make it worth it. I was going to pass on the RS5 Sportback due to it launching a little later but if I'm going to wait anyway then why not. Nardo is just better looking. People says it looks like primer which is kind of funny but I love the color. If Nardo wasn't an option then I would go with Quantum Gray.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

You're going to have a hard time telling the color from the little swatches.

Here is Quantum again, this time on an exclusive R8 at the LA auto show in 2016.

And here is Nardo also under auto show lights for an accurate comparison.

The difference is most noticeable under low light, like you can see in my S5 coupe that I posted above.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by adg44

Here is Quantum again, this time on an exclusive R8 at the LA auto show in 2016.

And here is Nardo also under auto show lights for an accurate comparison.

The difference is most noticeable under low light, like you can see in my S5 coupe that I posted above.
Appreciate the additional photos. I wasn't basing my decision off of the swatches. In all honestly I think those things are pointless. They are a piece of printed paper which is not the same material as the car and that alone with cause the color to vary. Especially when dealing with colors that are very similar I feel the swatches are no help. I watched a bunch of videos that helped me make a decision. I think this gives me the best option next to seeing it in person as the color is shown in a bunch of different lighting conditions and angles an not subject to one angle and light perspective. The photo below comparing the two side by side also shows the difference as far as the quality of the paint in my opinion. Both cars are dirty (you can tell by the wheels) but the Nardo Gray still seems to pop. The Quantum is darker which honestly doesn't bother me but looks dull and more primer like lol. I like that comparison for the simple fact that most videos and pictures shows Quantum on a brand new car in a show room under all those bright lights. This photo gives more of a real world view. I also think the Black Optics package with the lighter Nardo has a better contrast. As much as I hate to wait I just really like that color and the fact that it is unique adds to its appeal. If Nardo didn't exist then I would potentially go with Quantum as I do like it better then Daytona Gray when paired with the black optics package.

Only thing I will say is when I started this car search I was looking at Mercedes and Audi. Mercedes is releasing the E53 AMG Sedan within the next few months. If I test drive that vehicle and it meets my expectations Audi may not be gaining a new customer.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

The Quantum under those lights looks like the color Porsche Chalk.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

And here it is when the sun is starting to set and it looks putty colored:

Old 07-31-2018, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm - based on the photos, I'd be happy with Nardo, but not with Quantum. Very different colours and the Nardo works well with BO and Magma red seats - Quantum much less so.

There is a purity to the Nardo that is quite compelling. Quantum looks too "dirty" for my taste.

Just my opinion - still happy with my Daytona.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And here it is when the sun is starting to set and it looks putty colored:

All the photos you posted can not longer be view. I wonder why that is
Old 08-02-2018, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my SB next to a quantum R8

It's definitely darker than Nardo. Unfortunately, this R8 has had the entire front end poorly painted, and the color is slightly off

Quick Reply: Nardo Gray vs Quantum Gray Metalllic