Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

cleaning and detailing dashboard of 2018 a5

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cleaning and detailing dashboard of 2018 a5

Whats a good product for cleaning and protecting the dash board of my a5? I cant tell if the material is leather or vinyl.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

I use a damp microfiber towel over it every other car cash. Keeps up with the dust and therefore no heavy duty cleaning / chemicals needed.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I will only use one product on dashboards and I've used it for many years - 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's great on all plastic surfaces. In particular, the slightly ribbed black plastic on the console looks really good with it. Supposedly OK for leather too, but I prefer to use a product designed specifically for leather on the seats.

I'm located in Australia, but I assume this is available world-wide. It is amazing and I've used it on all sorts of things from outdoor furniture to exterior plastic or rubber trim - even a plastic tractor canopy.

The thing I love about it is it gives a long-lasting "glow" without looking shiny or oily. Treated surfaces just look "better than new" but it's not obvious why. A lot of supposedly similar products give a nasty artificial-looking sheen that attracts dust and just don't feel nice to the touch either.

A little goes a long way, too.

Last edited by Tony M; 07-13-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
I use a damp microfiber towel - - -
Agreed - normally nothing else is required. If it's really dirty you can use a small amount of mild soap in the water. After that if it is too dull, a bit of 303 will take care of it. Resist applying a bunch of "treatments" - they just make a mess.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
I use a damp microfiber towel over it every other car cash. Keeps up with the dust and therefore no heavy duty cleaning / chemicals needed.
+1. I agree.

Use a clean (oil-free) micro-fibre towel. Dampen it slightly and use it to wipe off the dust on the dashboard and console.

For the gauge cluster, if there are no finger-prints on it, just dust, use a dry micro-fibre towel and gentle pressure to wipe it down. The moisture on the slightly damp towel might leave watermarks on the clear gauge cover.

No chemicals needed.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:58 AM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by avgazn
Whats a good product for cleaning and protecting the dash board of my a5? I cant tell if the material is leather or vinyl.
It’s vinyl / plastic. Leather is only used on the seating surfaces and steering wheel. The best thing you can do is use a sun visor / sun shade when parked to prevent sun damage, and then periodically dust with a microfiber towel or duster.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I use Sonax dash cleaner and a microfiber cloth. It keeps a matte finish (not oily) and helps prevent dust build-up.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I use the California Mini Duster and have found it to work 100% of the time on the dash, console and seats.

California Mini Duster @ Amazon

It it requires no sprays yet attracts dust like a magnet. After you use it, just shake it out. You can wash it, but in 10 years of use, I’ve never had to.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I use the California Mini Duster and have found it to work 100% of the time on the dash, console and seats.

California Mini Duster @ Amazon

It it requires no sprays yet attracts dust like a magnet. After you use it, just shake it out. You can wash it, but in 10 years of use, I’ve never had to.

That's what I use. I keep it in the pouch behind the front seat and whip it out when I'm stuck at a long stoplight.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Mini Duster works great, doesn't just push the dust around.

Quick Reply: cleaning and detailing dashboard of 2018 a5