Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

New A5 Sportback! HomeLink Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New A5 Sportback! HomeLink Issues.

First, here's a picture of the car:

https://i.imgur.com/JW251DD.jpg

This is probably a long shot, because it seems like my garage door opener is a bit less common than liftmasters etc. but I did a search on the forum and most of the threads I found were not for mine. I have a Marantec M4500e and I just can't get it to sync. I've tried the normal procedure with holding the remote while pressing the button right next to the rear view mirror, I've tried looking up documentation on my garage door opener, which leads me to homelink, which leads me to outdated directions.

I was successfully able to sync another one of my remotes that controls another gate in my complex with no issues. I was able to clear my settings and reprogram that on the first try as well. So I think the homelink system itself is working.. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-23-2018, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

A couple of minor things I ran into before successfully programming mine - which may or may not help...

One of my remotes that worked my liftmaster door without an issue, would not work in the learning process. By chance, I grabbed another working remote, and no problems. I have read - make sure you have new batteries in the remote so the signal is strong enough for the car's homelink to pick it up.

At my shop, the liftmaster remote was an older style, and that one would not sync at all. Via an amazon review, allegedly the frequency of the older liftmaster was the same as the key fob, so there was interference. Solution was to just hook up a newer liftmaster remote unit to the opener.

So, worst case, you might want to slap on a new remote unit on your opener.

I do like the multi-spoke wheels they offer on the A5's - nice car!
Old 05-24-2018, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update: Had someone from Audi come out to take a look. A couple interesting notes that might help someone in the future:

1. The homelink system that actually transmits the signal is in the back of the car. The controls are just at the front. So if it doesn't work, try aiming your remote backwards.
2. There have been reports that some radar/ultrasonic signals from the car from its drive assist features could interfere with the programming. He unplugged the power from those systems (from some panel in the trunk) before attempting programming.
3. There have been reports that smart watches (he left his apple watch in his car) interfere with the programming process.
4. He had to be outside my garage, (not directly underneath the GDO) but still within range of the GDO in order for it to program. So basically he sat the car right outside my garage and programmed it.

There's no way that I would have been able to do this myself; I'm glad he was able to come out and help me do it, but wish this sort of information was well documented somewhere. I asked him about the interference from the other systems, and he said that might be solved in a future update down the line and that this was a common problem in their 2018 models of their cars. Weird.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Pogvin
Update: Had someone from Audi come out to take a look. A couple interesting notes that might help someone in the future:

1. The homelink system that actually transmits the signal is in the back of the car. The controls are just at the front. So if it doesn't work, try aiming your remote backwards.
2. There have been reports that some radar/ultrasonic signals from the car from its drive assist features could interfere with the programming. He unplugged the power from those systems (from some panel in the trunk) before attempting programming.
3. There have been reports that smart watches (he left his apple watch in his car) interfere with the programming process.
4. He had to be outside my garage, (not directly underneath the GDO) but still within range of the GDO in order for it to program. So basically he sat the car right outside my garage and programmed it.

There's no way that I would have been able to do this myself; I'm glad he was able to come out and help me do it, but wish this sort of information was well documented somewhere. I asked him about the interference from the other systems, and he said that might be solved in a future update down the line and that this was a common problem in their 2018 models of their cars. Weird.
The bolded one did it for me. Here's the fuse that needs to be pulled to cut power to the driver's assistance sensors.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I programmed my 2018 A5 Sportback successfully today after a week of frustration by following the same advice as rccoleman. Disable Side Assist by temporarily removing the fuse described here - that made all the difference. Then follow the MMI's instructions to complete the two-step process of 1) training the Homelink button using the garage door opener's original remote, and 2) pairing the Homelink button with the opener in the garage by pressing the opener's "learn" button then holding down the Homelink button in the car for a few seconds. The garage door's light blinked after the pairing was complete, and after that the Homelink button in the car opened the garage with no problem. Finally, I put the fuse back in place.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS-Audi
I programmed my 2018 A5 Sportback successfully today after a week of frustration by following the same advice as rccoleman. Disable Side Assist by temporarily removing the fuse described here - that made all the difference. Then follow the MMI's instructions to complete the two-step process of 1) training the Homelink button using the garage door opener's original remote, and 2) pairing the Homelink button with the opener in the garage by pressing the opener's "learn" button then holding down the Homelink button in the car for a few seconds. The garage door's light blinked after the pairing was complete, and after that the Homelink button in the car opened the garage with no problem. Finally, I put the fuse back in place.
Same here. Worked perfectly once the fuse was pulled. Never would have figured this out without the help of this forum