Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

New RS5 Sportback vs Used 2018 M5

Old 01-18-2019, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RS5 Sportback vs Used 2018 M5

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, and I realize this is the Audi enthusiasts' house, but I'm looking for some honest opinions. I also realize that these cars typically considered together in the same class, but they would both work for my purposes (need a bigger car than current to shuttle around 2 kids and their infrastructure).

I'm very close to purchasing a new SB spec'd to about 88K. But there have been some used M5's popping up in the 95K range fully loaded with between 500 miles - 6K miles on the odometer with one owner lots of records, most off leases for some reason. Given the rate of depreciation, in about 6 months they'd probably be equal.

I like the look and styling of the RS5 better and I've never particularly been a fan of BMW as a brand, but the new M5 looks conservative yet good, and let's be honest those are supercar worthy performance numbers it can put down. Coming from a car with a drivetrain similar to the RS5's (Subaru STi), a fully rear bias awd setup (and ability to make it actual rear drive) sounds like a fun change.

It's like heart says RS5, brain says M5. What do you guys think?
Old 01-19-2019, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a old 5 series, its not really that much bigger, if transporting kids is your concern, maybe a BMW X series is better suited.

The M5 is nice car but it doesnt have the same go cart feel of the RS5, the M5 is also heavier, longer and wider. on the highway, the size difference is un-noticale but in the city, the RS5 will be much more agile.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is to be more of a toy car, get the RS5, where your heart and passion is.
If its more of a daily driver, hauling kids, doing practical things, BWM is your choice.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

If you don't have to fit massive child seats in the back, I would argue that the SB is eminently practical with a back seat that is usable for normal sized adults (not 6'3" or taller or 300 lb) and very good cargo space in the back.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in the same boat, the M5 specs are incredible but for some reason it looks like an older man's car, albeit one that hauls ***. It also just seems huge.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by NinjaSleeper
I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, and I realize this is the Audi enthusiasts' house, but I'm looking for some honest opinions. I also realize that these cars typically considered together in the same class, but they would both work for my purposes (need a bigger car than current to shuttle around 2 kids and their infrastructure).

I'm very close to purchasing a new SB spec'd to about 88K. But there have been some used M5's popping up in the 95K range fully loaded with between 500 miles - 6K miles on the odometer with one owner lots of records, most off leases for some reason. Given the rate of depreciation, in about 6 months they'd probably be equal.

I like the look and styling of the RS5 better and I've never particularly been a fan of BMW as a brand, but the new M5 looks conservative yet good, and let's be honest those are supercar worthy performance numbers it can put down. Coming from a car with a drivetrain similar to the RS5's (Subaru STi), a fully rear bias awd setup (and ability to make it actual rear drive) sounds like a fun change.

It's like heart says RS5, brain says M5. What do you guys think?
Definitely follow the heart. The brain can rationalize anything, given time. After you get the RS5 your brain will love it just as much as your heart!
Old 01-24-2019, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Not comparable. M5 much bigger. Fatter. Phatter?

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

Definitely follow the heart. The brain can rationalize anything, given time. After you get the RS5 your brain will love it just as much as your heart!
Seriously, less it’s an awd M5 stay with the RS5. I love my 540i with RWD only and Dinan stage but it’s a lot diff than even my wife’s A5 SB. The M5 completion awd is a beast t 630hp...and it puts them all to the ground effortlessly but rides worse than the X6M. Stock M5 awd is still a big horse.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

It's funny, I'm in a similar situation. I have a S5 Sportback and test drove a RS5 Sportback on the weekend. It's a nice car but I wasn't wowed like I thought I would be. Yeah the stiffer suspension is nice as are the flared fenders and all the pops and backfires from the exhaust. But, when driving in the city and on the highway it just felt like my S5 when I put the transmission in "S" mode (although without the associated higher RPMs). I really can't see paying an additional 50% a month for a RS5 over a S5. I also happened to look at off lease some 2018 M5s (with M xDrive) and they were almost identical to my monthly payments for my S5. I have no brand loyalty and like the styling of both cars. To me it seems like the M5 with M xDrive is a much better deal.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone actually drove both cars? Which feels faster, does the M5 feel as big as it looks?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
Has anyone actually drove both cars? Which feels faster, does the M5 feel as big as it looks?
The cars are different classes. A well equipped RS5 is $87K and the M5 $117K. Apples/Oranges

Subjectively...the m5 is a boat. I thought the RS5 was more agile. For the record my wife drives a BMW so we are definitely a German family. The practical aspect of the sportback is annoying...plus it checks the wife box if that is a concern.

There is a huge difference between S/RS cars just like the M/Mi and 43/63 AMG variants. Completely different experiences and all should be enjoyed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New RS5 Sportback vs Used 2018 M5