Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

New versus old 3.0T

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I went to test drive the car another time this afternoon and we went to a residential quarter where there are stops at every intersections so I could test the car at mid throttle (in a reasonable manner).

While the turbocharged engine doesn't seem to pull harder, it definitely has more torque at low/mid RPM and partial throttle. And I think the reason for this is that the S5 is much lighter than my SQ5. When my SQ5 accelerate you feel the engine is pulling a big mass. You can feel the "strongness" of the engine. Also, since my SQ5 engine is almost muted (via Vag-Com), my SQ5 can pull harder for the same engine noise level. Setting the Engine Noise to Comfort in the S5 really helped to get an experience more similar to my SQ5. Unfortunately, this also muted the exhaust somewhat.

Will I regret the SC? I'm not so sure anymore...

Oh, and sorry if I started a wars. It was not my intention.

Last edited by Yoshimura; 03-29-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
I went to test drive the car another time this afternoon and we went to a residential quarter where there are stops at every intersections so I could test the car at mid throttle (in a reasonable manner).

While the turbocharged engine doesn't seem to pull harder, it definitely has more torque at low/mid RPM and partial throttle. And I think the reason for this is that the S5 is much lighter than my SQ5. When my SQ5 accelerate you feel the engine is pulling a big mass. You can feel the "strongness" of the engine. Also, since my SQ5 engine is almost muted (via Vag-Com), my SQ5 can pull harder for the same engine noise level. Setting the Engine Noise to Comfort in the S5 really helped to get an experience more similar to my SQ5. Unfortunately, this also muted the exhaust somewhat.

Will I regret the SC? I'm not so sure anymore...

Oh, and sorry if I started a wars. It was not my intention.
why are you comparing an sq5 to an s5 in an s5 forum. the entire thread is absurd. if you like what you have then keep it. or buy the new s5. this other crap is basically immature facebook sniping carried over here.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
Transmission and throttle response are very much related. How is it off-topic lol. Love your statement of there being no lag problems in the S5, when there are people on this very thread saying otherwise.
S = transmission mode.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
why are you comparing an sq5 to an s5 in an s5 forum. the entire thread is absurd. if you like what you have then keep it. or buy the new s5. this other crap is basically immature facebook sniping carried over here.
Simply ignore my threads if you don't like them.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Nothing wrong with comparing basics like throttle response between cars.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's perfectly ok and normal to compare how a car drives to one that you have or have had in the past. Not sure why this would be "absurd" at all. The bickering back and forth though that do not add any value to the conversation however, is ridiculous.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 - alleluia to that.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Back on topic...

The new 3.0T and the 8-Speed is a new combo for Audi as well, and as first model years there are bound to be some bugs and issues that they will probably refine over the next couple of years, there is another long thread here tearing into that. I moved from a Mustang Ecoboost, and while the A5 is faster, it is also much more insulated and refined, so there is a difference of actually going fast and feeling like you're going fast due to the noise in the car.

I haven't driven the S5, but if I were you, I'd drive the A5 just to compare. It has the DSG in it with similar response to what you're used to, and because of the massive weight savings, it's performance is on par with the SQ5. But, it's definitely gonna fall a lot short from an engine sound standpoint.

Good luck, but you definitely shouldn't buy a car that doesn't feel right to you, since you're the one that's gonna be driving it, no matter what all the forums experts like to say.