Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Next generation A5 - coupe only? Sportback/convertible may be cut

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Next generation A5 - coupe only? Sportback/convertible may be cut

This possibly according to Automobile's article on Audi's future. I've seen several articles expecting Audi to trim car models down due to rising investment costs.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/a...uture-product/

On the provisional casualty list are the stillborn five-door A3 “coupe,” the three-door A1/S1, the A5 Sportback and convertible, the TT coupe and roadster, the R8, and the proposed A9. New arrivals include the A1 City Carver (it won’t be badged as an Allroad because it lacks AWD, but that’s what it is), the Q3 and Q5 Sportback “coupes,” replacements for the two-door A3 and A5 models, and a bunch of RS high-flyers.
Plus many electric models on the way...

• e-tron Sportback (early 2020); like most future e-tron versions, it will be available in three different battery and powertrain configurations.
  • eQ3/Q3 e-tron (late 2020); an MEB-based compact SUV with a China-only long-wheelbase version.
  • e-tron GT (2020); the production version of the 2018 L.A. show concept, mechanically twinned with the Porsche Taycan.
  • e-tron GT shooting brake/Sportback (2021); a wagonoid variant on the above in the mold of the Taycan Sport Turismo.
  • eQ2/Q2 e-tron (early 2021); internally known as A-SUVe, this one really ought to be called the eQ1 except that it’s one size bigger than the extant A1.
  • eQ4/Q4 e-tron (late 2021); the “coupe” version of the eQ3.
  • eQ5/Q5 e-tron (early 2022); SUV based on the PPE architecture and twinned with the electric Porsche Macan replacement, with the long-wheelbase version limited to China.
  • e-tron GTR (2023); a two-seat evolution of Audi’s wild 2018 Pebble Beach concept, presumably based on Taycan architecture.
  • eQ6/Q6 e-tron (mid-2023); this is the “coupe” version of the eQ5, and like that model will share its basis with the EV Macan replacement.
  • eQ7/Q7 e-tron (2023); this will eventually supersede the first-generation e-tron and Q7 and be twinned with the 2024 successor to the current Porsche Cayenne.
  • eQ9/Q9 e-tron (late 2023); an all-new full-size seven-seat flagship SUV “coupe” in the style of the current Q8.
  • e4/A4 e-tron (post-2023); this model will be MEB-based and effectively be Audi’s Tesla Model 3 fighter. It’s expected to be available as a sedan and a wagon and/or five-door Sportback.
  • e6/A6 e-tron (post-2023); PPE-based, the eA6 is expected to be available as a sedan and wagon.
  • e8/A8 e-tron (post-2023); again, this is PPE-based and to be offered as a sedan and Avant wagon. It will be twinned with the 2025 Panamera EV.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Last I checked the SB outsells the coupe by something like 2-1 so...
Old 03-27-2019, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

The coupe is barely selling compared to the Sportback, so that would be a curious decision.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh yay. A bunch of electric **** no one wants. Great plan, VAG.

Electric **** is even about to infect the Porsche line.

Cue the "We don't understand why our sales are down" wailings in 3, 2, ....
Old 03-28-2019, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
This possibly according to Automobile's article on Audi's future. I've seen several articles expecting Audi to trim car models down due to rising investment costs.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/a...uture-product/

Plus many electric models on the way...
  • e4/A4 e-tron (post-2023); this model will be MEB-based and effectively be Audi’s Tesla Model 3 fighter. It’s expected to be available as a sedan and a wagon and/or five-door Sportback.
An A4 sportback is called an A5
Old 03-28-2019, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
An A4 sportback is called an A5
Isn't the MEB platform developed primarily for VW and different from what will be used for the A6 and up? Is the A4/A5 planned to become a larger version of the A3?
Old 03-28-2019, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would love it if they stopped selling the SB...makes mine even rarer. I can just picture the craigslist ad 10 years from now :”RARE 2018 A5 Sportback, only manufactured 2018/2019 model years. Asking $159,000 OBO.” Haha
Old 03-28-2019, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Isn't the MEB platform developed primarily for VW and different from what will be used for the A6 and up? Is the A4/A5 planned to become a larger version of the A3?
Yes, that's my understanding. MEB is a VW engineered platform, PPE is a joint Porsche/Audi design. The e-tron is on a modified MLB Evo platform, the Taycan and the Sportback GT are on the Porsche J1 platform, which will then not be used again as PPE will then be finished.

In some ways not dissimilar to the IC platforms; MQB, MLB Evo and MSB (which ended up only be used on the Panamera and Bentley saloon / coupés - MSB didn't scale). Whilst MQB is the "smaller" platform, it can scale up to the VW Atlas, and also the VW Arteon, which is bigger than an A5 (on MLB Evo).

I get the impression that MEB can also scale. What I don't know about is what are the differences between the VAG EV platforms. In the case of MQB/MLB/MSB it was down to engine and drive configurations - latitudinal vs longitudinal, FWD vs RWD vs AWD etc. None of this applies. Certainly within the PPE platform, the critical issue being addressed is sustained high speed running, and repeatable high performance runs. The first is really only relevant to Germany, but that is important to both Porsche and Audi. So the battery cooling infrastructure within the platform will be more critical for PPE than MEB. The other key difference is that some PPE models will use 3 motors (2 on the rear axle), which will never be needed on MEB.

The press release that Audi produced for the Q4 e-tron concept that was shown in Geneva did describe which models would be on which platform, but I find it unbelievable. It implies all Audi models between B and D segments will be on PPE, with only the A segment on MEB. The Euro NCAP car classification system is very vague, in some ways Mercedes's model naming strategy provides a better guideline as to what constitutes the size segment than anything else I have read. But I would not have called the Q4 e-tron an A segment car, yet it is on MEB?

Here is the press release in its entirety:

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...-concept-11364

And here is the relevant section:

Source: www.audi-mediacenter.com
Old 03-28-2019, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by emacS5
Oh yay. A bunch of electric **** no one wants. Great plan, VAG.

Electric **** is even about to infect the Porsche line.

Cue the "We don't understand why our sales are down" wailings in 3, 2, ....
Seriously? The Model 3 is outselling the Audi B9 cars about 10:1 right now, and outsold the C-Class, A4, and 3-series combined in the US last year. If anything, VWAG is late to the party with electrification.

I'm personally looking forward to my next car being an e-tron GT. Performance electric cars are mind-bendingly quick.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
Seriously? The Model 3 is outselling the Audi B9 cars about 10:1 right now, and outsold the C-Class, A4, and 3-series combined in the US last year. If anything, VWAG is late to the party with electrification.

I'm personally looking forward to my next car being an e-tron GT. Performance electric cars are mind-bendingly quick.
It's inevitable that electric cars take over, the main thing holding them back right now is charging infrastructure and that's growing and will get better as they become more common. The current electrics aren't bad, I could certainly live with one. In a few years they will be better.

Quick Reply: Next generation A5 - coupe only? Sportback/convertible may be cut