Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

OBDeleven warranty impact?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default OBDeleven warranty impact?

I haven’t really seen this topic discussed in any detail yet. Are we clear on whether making changes using OBDeleven will have any impact on the warranty or not? I read that AOA has a procedure where the system will be scanned and if any mods are found the warranty will be flagged. Does the basic coding done with OBD count? Any info would be helpful....as I’d hate to void my warranty or have to fight the dealer because I increased the key fob range or something silly like that. Lol
Old 08-27-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

As far as I am aware, no. A tune though will void your warranty.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

If a unit that you coded fails, and needs to be replaced, they will deny warranty coverage.

Source: Had it happen to me on my B8 S4

That said, there is 0 chance coding will kill or harm a control unit permanently, I was just unfortunate enough to have a central electrics unit die after I had done some coding.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I woldn't be surprised if there was an electronic system problem and they found changes made in ODB they would deny the claim. Then it would be up to the owner to take the dealer to court.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn, I was looking forward to making some changes with OBD eleven, but it isn’t worth the risk of having Audi fight me on a warranty replacement in 3 years because I made some minor coding changes.

I might call my service center rep who has been very open and transparent so far and ask him what he thinks. I know some dealers will help you maneuver around the red tape if you have mods( though I would hardly call OBD a major mod I don’t want any headaches).
Old 08-27-2018, 10:16 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

This Is A Question Not A Statement:

If you make minor “mods” with the OBD Eleven — Gear Display / Extending the range on your remote / Changing the Comfort Signal / etc. — will these mods even show up in a scan / mod failure?
Old 08-27-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I coded a car for one of my friends that works at the dealership. I honestly don't think they will give you a hard time.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
This Is A Question Not A Statement:

If you make minor “mods” with the OBD Eleven — Gear Display / Extending the range on your remote / Changing the Comfort Signal / etc. — will these mods even show up in a scan / mod failure?
Yes. I believe it will help them settings have been changed and if they want to return those setting a back to stock.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ajax, have you got an answer from your service center rep regarding mods??

Originally Posted by Ajax1900
Damn, I was looking forward to making some changes with OBD eleven, but it isn’t worth the risk of having Audi fight me on a warranty replacement in 3 years because I made some minor coding changes.

I might call my service center rep who has been very open and transparent so far and ask him what he thinks. I know some dealers will help you maneuver around the red tape if you have mods( though I would hardly call OBD a major mod I don’t want any headaches).
Old 11-20-2019, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

My understanding is that Audi can tell if changes have been from factory coding, based on the VIN. This makes sense when you realize OBD11 and VagCom can track the changes they make. Now, I’m not sure how they can deny warranty coverage if you make certain changes. Example, I have a Premium +. I’ve coded in both high beam assist and sign recognition which is on the Prestige. How could they deny coverage when it is available on a different trim level. It’s built into the module just not activated. Same can be said for many other changes such as gear selection being shown. It’s in the module, just not turned on.

Quick Reply: OBDeleven warranty impact?