Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Ordering Process / Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Ordering Process / Questions

It's been a long time since I bought car, let alone a new one. I'm currently in line to place an order for an RS5 Sportback which hopefully I'll be able to do in the next month or so. Since I never placed a custom order before (always off the lot in the past), I have started to wonder about whole process so hopefully you all can fill in some blanks / provide your thoughts on this whole thing. So here we go.

I figured that when the order sheets come out that the price information for the different trim levels and packages would be on it so you just pick what you want, add up the numbers and you'd have the MSRP number. At which point you could take that information, contact dealers to see who you could get the best deal from and place the order with them. Wait a few months for it to arrive, sign the papers and you're done. I know that some things like leasing terms or financing can't be done at the time of the order because rates and what not can change before the car arrives so that's fine. I've assumed this is roughly how things are typically done?

But I recently saw someone post about placing an order for a 2019 model where pricing wasn't available yet so they didn't know what the exact price was going to be other than the assumption that the 2019 would be roughly X more then a 2018 + roughly Y for the new packages for the 2019 model. They would figure it all out when the car arrives and it sounds like if they decide to walk away when the car arrives they would get their deposit back.

I personally like to know how much something will be before I order / buy it and walking away after months of waiting because I didn't know the price at the time of the order and there ends up being an issue with the price when it was finally revealed for one reason or another doesn't thrill me any. Also ordering without know the actual price would seem to lessen your ability to negotiate between dealers for the best price. Granted I guess you could custom order from all the dealers you wanted and buy it from the dealer that you got the best price from when the cars arrive and walking away from the others assuming you get your deposit back but that sounds like a lot of work and kind of jerk move.

So how long does it take after the order sheets for a new model year comes out for pricing to become available too?

Now I know that the likely hood of getting any significant discount off a RS5 Sportback is slim to none from any dealer at this point in time since it will be a brand new model that hasn't even shipped yet as such they are not just sitting on the lots waiting to be sold. That's just the price I'll pay for being a early adopter so to speak but it might be possible the work in work a discount of other items like Audi Care or free all weather mats or what not. Maybe I'm over thinking things and should just order it from the dealer I like best since any negotiated price discounts will likely be insignificant in the grand scheme of things for my particular order scenario.

Any ways, am I completely off base on anything above? Thanks in advance for any feedback / comments.

-Gary
Old 08-02-2018, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm assuming that "someone" you saw post was me as I'm the only one who posted about ordering the 2019. I would also like to know how this process typically works as my situation was a bit different. Let me clarify what happened and maybe it'll make more sense. The dealer I had been in contact with were allocated I believe three 2019 S5 Sportbacks that are going to be built and part of their initial inventory. My Audi rep called me and stated that since he knew I was interested he spoke with his manager and they would configure one to my spec and I could buy it. I agreed as there was no obligation on my part. They wanted a refundable deposit (i'm sure this was mainly to gauge how serious I was) and stated as soon as final pricing was available they would contact me. As the vehicle nears completion he stated I would have to finalize paper work. From my perspective it was a win-win because if the pricing was around what I expected or slightly higher I would get the car faster then waiting until everything was official (pricing and inventory in the dealership) and if the pricing was higher and no room for negotiations then I would not buy the vehicle and get my deposit back and just shop elsewhere. If anything I would think this would give me more room for negotiations as they have spec'd a car out and know they have someone who really wants it. If they wouldn't negotiate they now are sitting on a car that someone may or may not want depending on their preferences.

Your thoughts that I would be waiting for months and months while the car was built without knowing the cost is not accurate. Hopefully this fills any gaps or misunderstanding you had of the situation.

The update to this situation though is the exclusive paint shop in Ingolstadt is closed for renovations until around the third week in January ( This has been confirmed by the manager and I have emails where I have spoken with the AoA Audi Exclusive Program myself) . This is why the Nardo Gray was not an option when they were entering in my build information. I informed my rep that I wanted Nardo Gray and he stated he needed to speak with his manager to figure out how to proceed. I also informed him that I was initially interested in the RS5 Sportback but didn't want to wait. Now that I have to wait anyway I informed him that when the Order Guides are updated I would like to compare the two and make a decision then. I just spoke with him this morning and waiting for a response so I'm not sure what they will do with that original build info.

Last edited by evanseric21; 08-02-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The RS's may be different than other vehicles in the Audi line up. But, I've never had to put a deposit down on any Audi. My dealer says they are so desperate for "allocations" on the new RS's that they're tempted to order cars with the name "Babe Ruth," or Don Trump on them just to get in the system. The word "allocations" may be a new concept, but the thing is some of the cars Audi of America imports are considered "on allocation" -- this means the dealer is able to get "50 cars" over a specified period of time. The terms typically would apply to cars that the dealership would like to order for their inventory -- that is cars without someone's name associated with them.

When my wife and I ordered our 2 new Audis, we actually ORDERED four of them. I ordered a Daytona Gray and an Ibis white -- one with sport package and one without. My wife ordered one with the winter package and in a certain color combination and, well, you get the idea. Why is this?

Dealers can bypass their allocations with what are called SOLD orders. If the RS5's are on allocation, a given dealer in Cincinnati, OH (where I live) may have the chance to order 12 RS5's. Period. But, but, but, how many could they sell? Well, no one know EXACTLY how many they could sell, but it's for damn sure they can only sell a maximum of 12 if that's all they can get. If they're bullish and think they could sell 18, well, if their allocation is 12 they are in the "sorry, thanks for playing mode."

They would LOVE to have you order one. They don't even care if you walk away from it unless you ordered an Audi exclusive version in pink metallic. THEN, they would want a non-refundable deposit, and rightly so. However, for me to order a Daytona and an Ibis version both Prestige, well, it's a no brainer.

Again, why?

If I walk on one of them, they can dealer trade it (it is like currency) they can sell it, etc. The good news is, the more cars they sell, the more their allocation can increase (there are circumstances where the allocation may not increase, but it is better to have allocation's on the rise than fixed).

The Q7 was on allocation -- for a time -- my dealer was howling for them. But, they could get all of the ones they wanted IF they were "sold" orders.

Allocation = 12. Sold orders = 4. Next time allocations come up, well, the allocation number MIGHT GO UP.

My dealer rarely asks for a deposit -- the only reason they or any dealer would (other than the fact of an orphan car -- hot pink -- being ordered) is to psychologically "keep" the customer from going somewhere else.

All cars should be ordered if you asked me.

Nobody asked me, though.

Order the damn car -- it's fairly easy to figure out the MSRP, configure the RS5 as you would want your RS5 SB. Then check out the S5 and S5 SB for the delta between the two of them. Let's say it is $3,000 or $9,000 or whatever it is, well, it is within the realm of possibility that the RS5 and RS5 SB will have a not too dissimilar delta.

You can find out the difference RIGHT NOW -- just go to the Audi USA website and check out the difference in the price of an S5 and an otherwise identical S5 SB -- ta da. You will really have a good idea of the cost of your new RS5 SB assuming you configure a new RS5 (non SB). Then just apply the difference.

If you want something Audi Exclusive -- ask the dealer for the upcharge amount on an S5 -- it will likely be $2,900 or $3,500 PLUS the cost of the option (and before discount).

I ordered my 2018 S4 way before the order guide with pricing was out. Easy peasy.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 08-02-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
The RS's may be different than other vehicles in the Audi line up. But, I've never had to put a deposit down on any Audi. My dealer says they are so desperate for "allocations" on the new RS's that they're tempted to order cars with the name "Babe Ruth," or Don Trump on them just to get in the system. The word "allocations" may be a new concept, but the thing is some of the cars Audi of America imports are considered "on allocation" -- this means the dealer is able to get "50 cars" over a specified period of time. The terms typically would apply to cars that the dealership would like to order for their inventory -- that is cars without someone's name associated with them.

When my wife and I ordered our 2 new Audis, we actually ORDERED four of them. I ordered a Daytona Gray and an Ibis white -- one with sport package and one without. My wife ordered one with the winter package and in a certain color combination and, well, you get the idea. Why is this?

Dealers can bypass their allocations with what are called SOLD orders. If the RS5's are on allocation, a given dealer in Cincinnati, OH (where I live) may have the chance to order 12 RS5's. Period. But, but, but, how many could they sell? Well, no one know EXACTLY how many they could sell, but it's for damn sure they can only sell a maximum of 12 if that's all they can get. If they're bullish and think they could sell 18, well, if their allocation is 12 they are in the "sorry, thanks for playing mode."

They would LOVE to have you order one. They don't even care if you walk away from it unless you ordered an Audi exclusive version in pink metallic. THEN, they would want a non-refundable deposit, and rightly so. However, for me to order a Daytona and an Ibis version both Prestige, well, it's a no brainer.

Again, why?

If I walk on one of them, they can dealer trade it (it is like currency) they can sell it, etc. The good news is, the more cars they sell, the more their allocation can increase (there are circumstances where the allocation may not increase, but it is better to have allocation's on the rise than fixed).

The Q7 was on allocation -- for a time -- my dealer was howling for them. But, they could get all of the ones they wanted IF they were "sold" orders.

Allocation = 12. Sold orders = 4. Next time allocations come up, well, the allocation number MIGHT GO UP.

My dealer rarely asks for a deposit -- the only reason they or any dealer would (other than the fact of an orphan car -- hot pink -- being ordered) is to psychologically "keep" the customer from going somewhere else.

All cars should be ordered if you asked me.

Nobody asked me, though.

Order the damn car -- it's fairly easy to figure out the MSRP, configure the RS5 as you would want your RS5 SB. Then check out the S5 and S5 SB for the delta between the two of them. Let's say it is $3,000 or $9,000 or whatever it is, well, it is within the realm of possibility that the RS5 and RS5 SB will have a not too dissimilar delta.

You can find out the difference RIGHT NOW -- just go to the Audi USA website and check out the difference in the price of an S5 and an otherwise identical S5 SB -- ta da. You will really have a good idea of the cost of your new RS5 SB assuming you configure a new RS5 (non SB). Then just apply the difference.

If you want something Audi Exclusive -- ask the dealer for the upcharge amount on an S5 -- it will likely be $2,900 or $3,500 PLUS the cost of the option (and before discount).

I ordered my 2018 S4 way before the order guide with pricing was out. Easy peasy.
Good info Mark. I have no relationship with the dealer as this will be my first Audi. I'm assuming they wanted me to put down a deposit to have something tangible and see if I was serious no more no less and that fact that its refundable I really didn't mind. I Agree 100% with you that its not that hard to figure out what the price will be or at least a realistic ball park. Another thing I noticed was the S5 Coupe is listed at $200 more then the S5 Sportback. I wonder if this will be the same for the RS5 Coupe and the RS5 Sportback.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Another thing I noticed was the S5 Coupe is listed at $200 more then the S5 Sportback.”

As I went in looking only for the Coupe, I never priced the difference between the Coupe and Sportback. Not that I’m disputing that, but that’s crazy — 2 more doors and longer body yet it’s $200 less than the Coupe! Wow
Old 08-02-2018, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Another thing I noticed was the S5 Coupe is listed at $200 more then the S5 Sportback.”

As I went in looking only for the Coupe, I never priced the difference between the Coupe and Sportback. Not that I’m disputing that, but that’s crazy — 2 more doors and longer body yet it’s $200 less than the Coupe! Wow
Go check it out https://www.audiusa.com/models#

2018 S5 Sportback $54,400
2018 S5 Coupe $54,600
Old 08-02-2018, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
Go check it out https://www.audiusa.com/models#

2018 S5 Sportback $54,400
2018 S5 Coupe $54,600
Well then, the RS5 fully configured as you want it would, theoretically, generate an MSRP for an RS5 SB of $200 less.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

@evanseric21, you're indeed the person I'm referencing. Thanks for the additional background on your order.

Here is some more info on my situation.

I'm currently #1 in line to order a RS5 Sportback at 2 different dealers in my area. One didn't require a deposit while the other did which is refundable. My idea is to send both of them the specs and see which I could negotiate the best offer with and go with them but the possibility of not having pricing before hand seemed to throw wrench into that plan. I'm also considering doing European Delivery since it's my understanding those orders don't come out of a dealer allocation thus allowing them to sell one more RS5 Sportback then they would have been able to which may give me some more negotiation wiggle room (could be wrong).

If I do do European Delivery, that pretty much breaks the ability place an order at both dealers and pick the best price later. I'm also considering an exclusive color (not pink) so that also has to be taken into consideration somewhat too.

I've crunched all the numbers I can so far (S5 Coupe vs Sportback), using the RS5 Coupe as a guide as I assume that Sportback will be in the same ballpark and have it all in a nice spreadsheet but you never know, Audi might want more for the Sportback for some reason, though I think unlikely.