Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Aftermarket subwoofer messes with remote key? (sportback)

Old 03-10-2024, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Aftermarket subwoofer messes with remote key? (sportback)

To all who've installed a Basser box or whatnot, are you having problems with the remote key?

'22 A5 Sportback

I installed my JLA sub into a Basser box in the R cubby last year. A couple months ago I started getting "Remote not Found" errors with both keys, to the point that it would error with the key sitting on the tray in front of the cupholder (the antenna is right under there). Go ahead and ask me if I changed the batteries, I dare you!

I took the car to the dealer, and after waiting a week for advice from Audi Germany they finally replaced one of the keys and said all was well. I drove home with both keys, but the next day the old key gave the error, to the point that I couldn't start the car. Over the next week the new key started getting more frequent errors.

I took the car in again, and waited a week to hear from Audi Germany. Finally, they said the R trunk antenna was having issues, and blamed the sub. At the dealer, I removed the sub, amp, and everything aftermarket. I immediately tested the key and it didn't work reliably. However, the next day, the service rep said everything tested out well. She agreed to keep it over the weekend until tomorrow and re-check it.

I understand the sub magnet can interfere with things, but I had it in there for months without any issues. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Old 03-11-2024, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts

I haven’t seen that issue in mine. When I relocated that module in the right rear cavity, I wrapped it up in bubble wrap and wedged it as far away from the sub as possible. Mainly just to keep it from rattling around. So far so good.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Zombie5150
I haven’t seen that issue in mine. When I relocated that module in the right rear cavity, I wrapped it up in bubble wrap and wedged it as far away from the sub as possible. Mainly just to keep it from rattling around. So far so good.
So you moved the R trunk keyless antenna? I didn't have any clearance issues with the Basser box, so I didn't touch any of the stock electronics.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts

I wasn’t sure exactly what that module controlled, I thought it had something to do with the shark fin antenna. Yes, it interfered with the box so I just unbolted and moved it. I saw some other videos where others did the same thing. I made sure it was quite secured and it hasn’t presented any issues.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

The module most people have to move is the mobile phone signal booster and not the Kessy module.
Old 03-11-2024, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
The module most people have to move is the mobile phone signal booster and not the Kessy module.
Yes. The convenience module is in the LEFT cubby, under the 3D camera module. They say there's an antenna in the R cubby.

Bruce, any thoughts on this situation? I'm willing to defer to Audi if this truly is an interference issue, but something about it doesn't make sense. The magnets are in the middle of the box, at least 8" from any antenna. Magnetic interference should have decreased exponentially by then. EMI isn't an issue, since the problem exists when the amp / sub are not powered (when trying to unlock the car).

Problem with the convenience module is that it doesn't throw codes. They say they have to measure the remote signal strength at each antenna independently, and it's only poor at the rear right antenna. Doesn't explain why I can't unlock the left door when standing right next to it (the rear sensor is contralateral to it).
Old 03-11-2024, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

The module most people have to move is the mobile phone signal booster ...
Aah, yes, the module that isn't in my cubby, because . . . it's the feature I don't have, because, . . . something something pandemic.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but per ERWIN the B9 only has 5 KESSY sensors:
- cabin antenna forward of shifter
- trunk antenna
- driver door antenna
- front door handles

I couldn't find anything about a side trunk sensor.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Mageus
Aah, yes, the module that isn't in my cubby, because . . . it's the feature I don't have, because, . . . something something pandemic.
In 2018 the factory installed the mobile phone booster in my car, but that had not yet been certified for use in the UK. So at the port it was removed and all the wires wrapped in foam. Ofcourse when you scanned the car, you got an antenna disconnected error. We were told that Audi could recall our cars to refit the module when it was cleared. I knew that would never happen, so I sourced the module I needed myself from Europe and fitted it to my car.

I recall someone saying that if there is anything wrong with the advanced key system then the whole system shuts down.

I don't believe it's the subwoofer causing the problem because otherwise this forum would be full of such reports.

It must be a weak antenna somewhere and coincidentally near your right side in the boot.
The following users liked this post:
JohnEnglish (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

It must be a weak antenna somewhere and coincidentally near your right side in the boot.
I agree that since it's also the Access module, it probably has a low threshold to disable if any part of it is malfunctioning, for security purposes.

The trunk antenna is behind the spare and more to the left. There is no KESSY antenna in the right side of the trunk; my right cubby is empty. The comfort module probably forms a composite 'image' of the signal from the 3 wireless sensors, and defines the location based on that. Either the tech assumes there's a sensor there, or Audi (incorrectly) told him there was one there.

I'm just frustrated that Audi is giving such a runaround just to deny the warranty claim.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket subwoofer messes with remote key? (sportback)