Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Pics you took today of your A5/S5

Old 02-26-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by skubeeraw View Post
Yep. Just ordered mine, same color also. I hate Texas because we have to put front tags which obscures the Quattro logo
I live in Houston and have not ran a front plate for almost 5 years. Only got a warning from a state trooper once. I selected the front plate delete when ordering my RS 5 SB as certain vehicles look better without a front plate. I'll continue to not run a front plate until it becomes an issue.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Some beading action from the rain. Ceramic coated with Modesta BC-04

Old 02-27-2019, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nemesis Autosport View Post
Or even for more temp solution, Rob O utilizes some magnetic vent clips for your phone that slide on to the grille.
RS grille plate hack FTW! Been using it without issue since, and will use it on the RS once my plates arrive from DMV. No issues leaving it on either: freeway, pouring rain, cross winds, car wash, etc ... It stays in place. Only thing I have tested is snow, and snowy/icy/slushy build up. I'd probably remove it in those conditions. Otherwise, I can slap it on and leave it without worry ... Even though it's meant to be a quick ON/OFF as needed (i.e., parking downtown here).

Thanks for the tag Martin.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arrtewwx View Post

You can run always plateless...there’s obviously a risk involved, but can be done. I did install a sto n show, for the few times I headed out of the metroplex and want to run the front plate and avoid state troopers.
Originally Posted by Nemesis Autosport View Post
A sto-n-sho like arrtewwx mentioned or a tow hook plate frame if you don't mind the offset look.

Or even for more temp solution, Rob O utilizes some magnetic vent clips for your phone that slide on to the grille.
Originally Posted by evanseric21 View Post
I live in Houston and have not ran a front plate for almost 5 years. Only got a warning from a state trooper once. I selected the front plate delete when ordering my RS 5 SB as certain vehicles look better without a front plate. I'll continue to not run a front plate until it becomes an issue.
Originally Posted by Rob O View Post
RS grille plate hack FTW! Been using it without issue since, and will use it on the RS once my plates arrive from DMV. No issues leaving it on either: freeway, pouring rain, cross winds, car wash, etc ... It stays in place. Only thing I have tested is snow, and snowy/icy/slushy build up. I'd probably remove it in those conditions. Otherwise, I can slap it on and leave it without worry ... Even though it's meant to be a quick ON/OFF as needed (i.e., parking downtown here).

Thanks for the tag Martin.
I've gotten a ticket when I had my RX-8, but I did notice it was on the freeway, pulled over by a state trooper both times. so is it the state troopers dickwads that have nothing else to do but pull over people without tags and does the city/county fuzz leave you alone? if so, I def would go with that quick mount/dismount option.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by evanseric21 View Post
I do this as well in Missouri. 2.5 years now. Cop at a gas station was admiring the RS5, and I asked his opinion. He said keep the front plate under my seat. DO NOT EVER put on the dash over the instrument cluster. In a sharp braking instant, this can become a propelled blade.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KCTiger83 View Post
I do this as well in Missouri. 2.5 years now. Cop at a gas station was admiring the RS5, and I asked his opinion. He said keep the front plate under my seat. DO NOT EVER put on the dash over the instrument cluster. In a sharp braking instant, this can become a propelled blade.
Nice guy... did he tell you how to get out of getting a ticket for it? Like, "I have the bracket on order".
Old 02-27-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by belzebutt View Post
Nice guy... did he tell you how to get out of getting a ticket for it? Like, "I have the bracket on order".
Thats my line, IF I ever get stopped! I have a Euro-style Plate in the Sto n Show plate holder, but I usually run plateless and just keep the “official” one on the back floorpan, just-in-case.

Last edited by Nikon1; 02-27-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by skubeeraw View Post
I've gotten a ticket when I had my RX-8, but I did notice it was on the freeway, pulled over by a state trooper both times. so is it the state troopers dickwads that have nothing else to do but pull over people without tags and does the city/county fuzz leave you alone? if so, I def would go with that quick mount/dismount option.
I've always run a front plate, but based on the number of Model 3s I see without front plates, the police must not be aggressively enforcing the law anymore, at least in Dallas. Considering that the cops in Dallas have difficulty responding to 911 calls and won't respond to calls for minor accidents, I doubt front plates are at the top of their list.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by JD15 View Post
I've always run a front plate, but based on the number of Model 3s I see without front plates, the police must not be aggressively enforcing the law anymore, at least in Dallas. Considering that the cops in Dallas have difficulty responding to 911 calls and won't respond to calls for minor accidents, I doubt front plates are at the top of their list.
yep- I always say that if I get pulled over by Dallas PD, I must be doing something really bad. Not enough police to go around and traffic citations seemingly
are low on the list. I went to Irving, earlier this week and within 2 miles I saw 5 cops. Good ole suburbia- even if Irving isn’t one of the “nice” northern burbs, they still have a police presence.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Here in Portland, the police won't go out of their way to pull you over for no front plate. It is heavily enforced by parking enforcement though; park in a metered spot without a front plate and you are guaranteed a ticket. So any excuse you have, even if legit, is lost on the process because you are still required to pay along with a request for review or hearing. That takes months, and you don't really get to speak to an actual perso. So the $85 or whatever isn't worth the time it takes to pursue it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: