AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Please reduce oil level? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/please-reduce-oil-level-2939529/)

FrankS5 12-24-2017 06:46 AM

Please reduce oil level?

so this am I started my car and was greeted with the message "please reduce oil level." Car is still on its original oil and has about 2,500 miles on it. Any thoughts? Possibly a fluke message? I'm guessing dealer will be closed til Tuesday...

heisnuts 12-24-2017 07:19 AM

If this is a one time message, I wouldn't worry about it too much (I am assuming that you have not added any oil since new). I have noticed when I check the oil level both on the phone and MMI the level can vary some even if checked exactly 5 minutes after shutting off the car.

FrankS5 12-24-2017 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by heisnuts (Post 25086508)
If this is a one time message, I wouldn't worry about it too much (I am assuming that you have not added any oil since new). I have noticed when I check the oil level both on the phone and MMI the level can vary some even if checked exactly 5 minutes after shutting off the car.

Correct assumption. It just came back on again after about 40 mins rest. Guess I'll keep an eye on it and call the dealer Tuesday if it keeps up. I'm going to guess it's probably safe to drive - I can't imagine the oil level just filling itself up or taking this long to register an over-fill. :-/

SYMAWD 12-24-2017 08:10 AM

I got it on mine too. Just opened the hood, took off the oil cap, put the oil cap back, shut the hood, and the message has been gone since.

gk1 12-24-2017 09:29 AM

That is strange. Not something I would really ignore. If it's just the sensor faulty, then no big deal. They'll replace it and move on, but at a minimum check for any missing coolant and coolant in the oil. Even though it's highly unlikely rising "oil" level classically meant failed head gasket.

FrankS5 12-24-2017 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by gk1 (Post 25086552)
That is strange. Not something I would really ignore. If it's just the sensor faulty, then no big deal. They'll replace it and move on, but at a minimum check for any missing coolant and coolant in the oil. Even though it's highly unlikely rising "oil" level classically meant failed head gasket.

Thanks for that tip. Just tried to check the coolant and it's damn near impossible to tell what level it's at. I did unscrew the oil cap like was mentioned above and the message did go away, but I'll probably still call the dealer on Tuesday to check it out. Lucky I'm not driving much today or tomorrow.

Stankia 12-24-2017 10:44 AM

Do these cars have a traditional dipstick?

SYMAWD 12-24-2017 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Stankia (Post 25086590)
Do these cars have a traditional dipstick?

No

wizzofoz 12-27-2017 07:07 PM

Taking my car in for service tomorrow to have them take a look. I see this pop up every second day. Cleaning the oil cap etc hasn't helped. Its super annoying. I have 4k km.

FrankS5 12-28-2017 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by wizzofoz (Post 25087943)
Taking my car in for service tomorrow to have them take a look. I see this pop up every second day. Cleaning the oil cap etc hasn't helped. Its super annoying. I have 4k km.

Let me know the outcome. My dealer told me it was overfilled from the factory - which I'm not sure I believe - and drained some oil. It went for 2 months / 2,600 miles without going off. I'm just going to pay close attention to everything (oil and coolant levels) and see what happens