Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Please reduce oil level?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

As I understand it the electronic gauge will read 1/2 if you are 1/2 qt low. Adding a full qt would indeed put you 1/2 qt over full. I do my own services. On my S5 7 qts will show two or three marks below full but it only takes a few ounces to bring it to full on both the gauge and the dipstick. (added by me)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my 2018 S5 back from service and they did apply "Please reduce oil level"/TSB #2050690/2”

will see see how it goes. But those experiencing these alerts off and on may want to see if it applies to your vehicle
Old 05-30-2019, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just see this error when I checked my level the other day. Maybe bad oil level sensor?
Old 06-03-2019, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This occurred when I first bought my car but honestly, the oil level on my car has been all over the place. "German engineering". Love to be able to check the dip stick, but no, it's all computerized. Very scary. I complained about that last time I had my car in for service, which seems to be once a month now. Always something. "They" claimed the level was OK as they checked it "manually". Supposed to check the level after letting the car sit for 2 minutes with the car off after driving, open the hood on a level area, turn on the car without starting. I get a different reading each time.

Also hate that there is not visual way to check the tire pressure except using a tire gunge, manually. How absurd. "German engineering".
Old 06-10-2019, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I popped the hood, removed the oil cap and put it back. Restarted the car and it showed oil level ok since then.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by wizzofoz
It’s back on in my car. Very annoying and I hate driving with the warning on all the time. Definitely linked to the temperature. It’s colder now in Canada and the error pops up after I drive for 5 minutes.
I don't buy that it's definitely linked to the temperature, I live in Australia where today it's 20 degrees Celsius and my reduce oil warning in my SQ7 V8 diesel has come on for the first time. The car has 8000klms on it, I have done around 2200 kilometres since last service at Audi.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chris O
I don't buy that it's definitely linked to the temperature, I live in Australia where today it's 20 degrees Celsius and my reduce oil warning in my SQ7 V8 diesel has come on for the first time. The car has 8000klms on it, I have done around 2200 kilometres since last service at Audi.
You have a different engine from most of the rest of us, so you might be seeing something different. In my case, it's fuel dilution due to so many short, cold trips where the engine oil never gets up to temperature to start evaporating the gasoline. If you take longer trips, or the weather is warmer, it improves itself. It doesn't look like you do much mileage either, so maybe it could still be dilution. I reliably see it when it starts to get cold.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Apologies, yes, mine is a diesel. I removed and replaced my oil cap today and the problem has resolved itself. I took it for a drive to put some temperature in the engine and all appears well. The thing that puzzled me is that I returned about 4 weeks ago from a long trip of over 2200 kilometres so that should have done it good.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:15 AM
B Z
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm experiencing the issue almost everyday occasionally it disappears at restarts after a day or two's rest but it comes on after 1 hour of driving and won't go away for the rest of the day. The car is the SQ7 TDI and temperature here is relatively mild around 15c most of time.

Took it to an Audi dealer already and all they could do is to acknowledge this is widely known issue with no fix at the moment. I remember having the error message when the car was almost brand new but it disappeared after I while. This time it's been staying for months. Annoyed!
Old 05-24-2021, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

When this happened with my S5 the dealer said the “fix” was to fill the oil to a bit below the “max fill line”. After they did this I never had the warning light pop up again.

Quick Reply: Please reduce oil level?