AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Poor trunk lid design on coupe? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/poor-trunk-lid-design-coupe-2937716/)

FrankS5 11-27-2017 08:22 AM

Poor trunk lid design on coupe?

So has anyone experienced opening the trunk on a coupe after it has rained? When I open the lid the water pours off of it, onto the window, and shoots up the rubber seal and goes right into the trunk! Besides getting a weather tech cargo liner or something of the sort, I'm guessing this one was just a little bit of bad engineering - unless I'm the only one experiencing this. It's manageable, but I'm just curious if anyone else had this happen?

Stratman22 11-27-2017 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by FrankS5 (Post 25073624)
So has anyone experienced opening the trunk on a coupe after it has rained? When I open the lid the water pours off of it, onto the window, and shoots up the rubber seal and goes right into the trunk! Besides getting a weather tech cargo liner or something of the sort, I'm guessing this one was just a little bit of bad engineering - unless I'm the only one experiencing this. It's manageable, but I'm just curious if anyone else had this happen?

My 13' coupe did that, my 18' hasn't. But then again it hasn't down poured since i've had it. I had a bit of rain last week and when i opened the trunk no rain dripped in...i was hoping that fixed that issue with this model!

KarKid 11-27-2017 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by FrankS5 (Post 25073624)

Nope.. you are not the only one. I live in Seattle and it rains all the time. It's definitely a struggle if I open the trunk too quickly. The plastic lip at the bottom of the rear window doesn't help either; water goes over that and drop into trunk directly.

FrankS5 11-27-2017 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by KarKid (Post 25073710)
Nope.. you are not the only one. I live in Seattle and it rains all the time. It's definitely a struggle if I open the trunk too quickly. The plastic lip at the bottom of the rear window doesn't help either; water goes over that and drop into trunk directly.

Yeah, that's the part I'm talking about - it's like a half-pipe for rain. It slides down the window, hits that lip and then just pours into the trunk. Bummer, but makes me feel better that it's not just me. I keep my work bag and gym bag in the trunk, so I'm pretty much in it every day. Cargo liner and towel it is!

KarKid 11-27-2017 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by FrankS5 (Post 25073730)
Yeah, that's the part I'm talking about - it's like a half-pipe for rain. It slides down the window, hits that lip and then just pours into the trunk. Bummer, but makes me feel better that it's not just me. I keep my work bag and gym bag in the trunk, so I'm pretty much in it every day. Cargo liner and towel it is!

another thing about that plastic piece. If you ever notice some ticking noise from the rear deck, it maybe coming from that rubbing against the trunk. I put some dry lube on it and it seems to help with the noise.

3cat 11-27-2017 12:51 PM

While we are talking smack on the coupe trunk I feel it's only appropriate to mention the lack of a power close option.
And yes I concur the problem with water coming in when the lid is opened.

mullini 03-12-2018 08:41 AM

Had my 2018 A5 coupe a couple weeks here in Los Angeles, where we finally got some winter rain. I was grocery shopping and man, I wish I'd read this thread before I opened the trunk to put the groceries away! That is amazingly poor engineering. Water shot down the rear window, splashed over the lip and fell into the trunk. Ironically I was across the street from my dealer, but no, I didn't drive over to whine. What are they going to do, anyway? I love my A5 but that was quite shock...how could Audi have tested the design in rainy conditions and let that pass?!

njspeedfreak 03-12-2018 11:45 AM

Yes, I have this issue on the Sportback. I've even noticed it can be a problem when opening the doors. The smooth top and lack of any drip edging allows water to flow down over the upper door jamb and right into the passenger compartment. This is clearly an issue where form won out over function. My previous S4 had slight grooves in the roof to prevent this from happening. But with the panoramic sunroof there is no space for these water redirecting features anymore.

Eli McCraig 03-12-2018 03:33 PM

The one minor A5 complaint I have is the horrible foul weather ingress/egress from all of its openings- water/snow leaks in when both doors and trunk are opened. And I cant even crack the windows without a waterfall into the cabin. The sunroof can be vented in a downpour no problem though.
Hope the new S4 is more watertight.

N8! 03-12-2018 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig (Post 25122937)
The one minor A5 complaint I have is the horrible foul weather ingress/egress from all of its openings- water/snow leaks in when both doors and trunk are opened.

Huh? Of course snow and rain will get into the car when both doors and the trunk are opened.

Something must be lost in translation?

:confused: