Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Porsche Macan S '17 or '18 vs Audi S5 Sportback

Old 06-16-2017, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Porsche Macan S '17 or '18 vs Audi S5 Sportback

Hi,

I need some input from the people who know best. I am looking at a '17 or '18 Macan S moderately outfitted for $68k or a fully loaded Audi s5 Sportback for $68k. I am torn. The Audi is fully loaded with all the techno gadgets but lacks the build quality and prestige of the Porsche. Also the S5 is obviously a sedan vs a SUV. Also ride height, is the S5 too low for the New England winters? I welcome your input. My question is, ignore the techno eye candy on the Audi and go with the moderately speced Macan because, well its a Porsche and an SUV.

I do live in New England but will never take either car off road. This will be my daily driver at about 20k miles annually.

Thank you.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by duffer5
Hi,

I need some input from the people who know best. I am looking at a '17 or '18 Macan S moderately outfitted for $68k or a fully loaded Audi s5 Sportback for $68k. I am torn. The Audi is fully loaded with all the techno gadgets but lacks the build quality and prestige of the Porsche. Also the S5 is obviously a sedan vs a SUV. Also ride height, is the S5 too low for the New England winters? I welcome your input. My question is, ignore the techno eye candy on the Audi and go with the moderately speced Macan because, well its a Porsche and an SUV.

I do live in New England but will never take either car off road. This will be my daily driver at about 20k miles annually.

Thank you.
Since you brought up concerns with weather then the S5 may not be the best choice, even with quattro and winter tires when compared to an SUV, just because of the floor clearance. With that said, if you have another car that is suitable for winter then this issue is limited. I guess the S5 would be more fun to drive than the Macan.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

The Macan S is built on the old Audi MLB platform, uses a precursor to the Audi/Porsche KoVoMo V6 engines (which are based on the Audi designed 4.0 TT V8 architecture) and its PDK transmission is the Audi DL501.

Apart from that, it's all Porsche

I have only driven the Macan Turbo and GTS. I considered buying a Macan GTS rather than the S5 Sportback I ended up with. Price difference where I am is small. I think for an SUV, they drive very well. I am not sure I would buy any SUV other than the Macan.

Considered as a car and in comparison to the S5 SB, I found it too heavy, too wide for the modest amount of interior space, lacking in agility, unrefined, and lacking in active safety equipment / driver aid technology. I did not find the interior quality to be any better than the B9 S5. But then in Europe Porsche is considered more sporty than Audi, but not better made. There is perhaps greater awareness here of the link between the brands - much of the PR in the US seems to be about separating them to "protect" Porsche's rather high margins.

But that's just me - I just can't warm to SUV style vehicles. As you have a Q5, what I don't like about the Macan could well be irrelevant to you. You may find it extremely annoying to be in a much lower car - it will have a big impact on visibility. But a quick drive of the two should give you an easy decision - you are likely to greatly prefer one over the other I would think.

The new Macan is being readied at the moment. It will feature similar technology to the new Q5, being of course, based on the same new MLB Evo platform. I don't know when this is due for release in the US. But I would wait myself.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a heavily modded B8.5 S5 and now a lightly modded Macan GTS and looking to get a B9 S5 (coupe) shortly so have a decent feel for them.

The Macan GTS (haven't driven an S) is probably the best all around car I have had the pleasure of leasing. The whole package is just hard to beat. Interior is really solid, even by Audi standards, the tech is much better in the 2017s than past Porsche models, the car is super capable in traffic as it is on back roads and is proper quick with a killer sound (at least with the Porsche Sport Exhaust).

I drove the B9 a few times and it feels a bit lighter and quicker, but much less engaging and more dull feeling than the Porsche. Biggest difference being the steering - its night and day better with more feedback in the Porsche. I would imagine the Macan S probably would be not quite as big a difference as the GTS unless you checked a lot of the extra options at which point you might as well get the GTS anyways!

The Macan is on the same platform as the past Q5 and very similar in size. The Sportback is a bit larger but I don't know about interior cargo space. Both are amazing cars, but personally if it was S5 or Macan S I would go S5. If it was between the GTS it would be a very tough call... but then your likely at least 10K more than the S5 if you want most of the similar options the S5 comes with in that price range, pano roof, keyless start, nav, apple car play, upgraded stereo, etc., etc. which all get super pricey on a Porsche!
Old 06-17-2017, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by duffer5
Hi,

Thank you.
The prestige thing I guess I sort of get - a Porsche is a premium sports car brand, no doubt about it. But you're not talking a 911 vs an A3. The build quality part of your statement I don't get at all...and I've spent considerable amount of time with both vehicles.

Resale value....the Audi I predict will win.

Ride height....my first Audi, which I got new, was a B5 S4. Bilstein coilovers, and it handled snow with ease...including several 12+ inch events
Old 06-17-2017, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I traded my Macan GTS for an S5 coupe. As good as the GTS is it is still a big SUV. I is quick an handles well but still is not as planted as the S5. Most of the technology is better in the S5.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by shaf
I traded my Macan GTS for an S5 coupe. As good as the GTS is it is still a big SUV. I is quick an handles well but still is not as planted as the S5. Most of the technology is better in the S5.
Thanks for this and the other replies. I went with the S5 SB. I appreciate all the input.

Richard
The following users liked this post:
kiavash55 (12-11-2019)
Old 06-23-2017, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Just Traded Macan Turbo for S5

I got a new Macan Turbo in January of this year. It was by far the least favorite vehicle I've owned. Technology is completely dated in Macan.

Its important to mention that I have decided I'm just not an SUV guy. After a few months of daily driving the Macan, I was done. I know, first world problem.

I love the S5SB. I have had it for a couple of weeks now and have no real complaints.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WausauS8
I got a new Macan Turbo in January of this year. It was by far the least favorite vehicle I've owned. Technology is completely dated in Macan.

Its important to mention that I have decided I'm just not an SUV guy. After a few months of daily driving the Macan, I was done. I know, first world problem.

I love the S5SB. I have had it for a couple of weeks now and have no real complaints.
Nice ride. Enjoy.