Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Post your favorite drive select settings!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
This has been explained many times in other threads. The engine/transmission won't ever stay in Dynamic between engine restarts. That's by design and it's due to EPA regulations and such. The regulations require that the car starts up in the mode that yields the rated fuel economy. Steering, suspension etc. will stay in whatever mode you had it in, but the engine and transmission will always go back to comfort/auto. You have to pull back on the shifter to put the transmission back into S, so setting engine/transmission to Dynamic in Individual mode is kinda pointless if you leave the car in Individual mode. It will always require to explicitly put the transmission into S after starting the engine. Individual mode is great to configure everything else to your liking, but just leave engine/transmission set to Auto and then toggle between D/S using the shift lever.

is there a difference between engine and transmission in dynamic mode and putting the gear shift into S mode? Seems as though both act on the same systems but there are essentially two settings - dynamic in drive select and S in the gear lever
Old 05-16-2018, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBlahBlah

is there a difference between engine and transmission in dynamic mode and putting the gear shift into S mode? Seems as though both act on the same systems but there are essentially two settings - dynamic in drive select and S in the gear lever

No difference. They are the same. Changing the mode to Dynamic puts the transmission in S and changing it back to Comfort/Auto puts it back to D. So S = Dynamic as far as the engine/transmission is concerned. They are only in Dynamic mode if the transmission is in S. Which is also important for the manual mode. There are two manual modes. M and MS, unfortunately only the R8 makes it clear in the VC. For some reason Audi opted to not display this detail in the other models.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-16-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No difference. They are the same. Changing the mode to Dynamic puts the transmission in S and changing it back to Comfort/Auto puts it back to D. So S = Dynamic as far as the engine/transmission is concerned. They are only in Dynamic mode if the transmission is in S. Which is also important for the manual mode. There are two manual modes. M and MS, unfortunately only the R8 makes it clear in the VC. For some reason Audi opted to not display this detail in the other models.

That makes a lot of sense, though not sure why they call it two different things. So I'm assuming that if you set engine/transmission in dynamic, the VC will indicate both "S" and "dynamic"?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBlahBlah
So I'm assuming that if you set engine/transmission in dynamic, the VC will indicate both "S" and "dynamic"?
Correct. Think of the Drive Select modes as profiles. These profiles adjust the dynamics of each component with a single press of a button. The Dynamic profile for the engine/transmission means S, but at any time you can override the current Drive Select profile by toggling the transmission between D/S. Some cars like the TT RS and R8 V10 Plus also let you override the exhaust sound via a dedicated button. BMW and Merc have dedicated buttons to let you override the suspension, steering etc. but conceptually it works the same way. Select one of the predefined modes and all components get put into the respective setting in one swoop, but then you can override individual components. I like Audi's implementation best overall, but I wish they would add dedicated buttons for the suspension at least, so I can put the car in Dynamic, but then quickly adjust the suspension depending on the current road condition without always having to change the Drive Select mode.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-17-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default yes...

Correct. Think of the Drive Select modes as profiles. These profiles adjust the dynamics of each component with a single press of a button. The Dynamic profile for the engine/transmission means S, but at any time you can override the current Drive Select profile by toggling the transmission between D/S. Some cars like the TT RS and R8 V10 Plus also let you override the exhaust sound via a dedicated button. BMW and Merc have dedicated buttons to let you override the suspension, steering etc. but conceptually it works the same way. Select one of the predefined modes and all components get put into the respective setting in one swoop, but then you can override individual components. I like Audi's implementation best overall, but I wish they would add dedicated buttons for the suspension at least, so I can put the car in Dynamic, but then quickly adjust the suspension depending on the current road condition without always having to change the Drive Select mode.
Either that or change the programming on the programmable button on the wheel so that it can be preset to sound, steering, suspension or differential. I'm finding that while Dynamic was perfect for my Individual setting with the 18" Sottozero3s, the 19" Hankooks get a little rough over broken pavement. If there was a one touch way to change on the fly I would use it.