AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Pre-sense... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/pre-sense-2968801/)

Tbone323 03-14-2019 08:21 PM

Pre-sense...

So today I was in the “suicide lane” waiting to turn left into a parking lot. When clear I hit the gas and to my surprise Audi Presense kicked in for no reason at all other than to scare the begeezus out of me. I’ve read similar threads on here but until you experience it for yourself you just have no idea!

IvanLZ 03-15-2019 06:42 AM

I don't have the DAP however all cars are equipped with the cross rear assist. No matter how slow i reverse or have my foot on the brake the car just abruptly stops for something that is not even close to touching my car and it has happened several times. I've got used to it kind of but the other day i scared my girlfriend twice because of this. Really wish we could turn this off.

luder888 03-15-2019 05:48 PM

I have created a compilation of Pre Sense issues for you all to enjoy. I understand I have an aggressive driving style, but I shouldn't have to change my driving style to accommodate a safety system. Some might say the system responded the way it was designed to do because it has to react early enough to be able to stop in time while giving the driver enough time to react themselves. However, any false braking event is one too many and greatly affects the driving experience of a luxury car. I will also try to show this video to the dealer when I stop by next week, and probably also send it to Audi USA for them to review. I doubt there's anything they can do to existing cars. I just hope they can use this to design better cars in the future.

luder888 03-21-2019 09:21 AM

Just an update. I took my car to the dealer today regarding the Pre Sense issues I ran into. The first thing they pointed out was the grille. Because I took the bumper off, now if I want the system re-calibrated it'll cost me $599. Just a warning to those who have had the grille put on. I told them I had issues even prior to the grille but they didn't want to hear that. I have no leverage after that.

Jimminez@Nemesis 03-21-2019 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by luder888 (Post 25292370)
Just an update. I took my car to the dealer today regarding the Pre Sense issues I ran into. The first thing they pointed out was the grille. Because I took the bumper off, now if I want the system re-calibrated it'll cost me $599. Just a warning to those who have had the grille put on. I told them I had issues even prior to the grille but they didn't want to hear that. I have no leverage after that.

That's a kick in the ballz. Hopefully it gets resolved after re-calibration though.

I've turned mine off in MMI and haven't noticed any odd behavior with it for now.

luder888 03-21-2019 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Nemesis Autosport (Post 25292384)
That's a kick in the ballz. Hopefully it gets resolved after re-calibration though.

I've turned mine off.

How did you turn yours off? I thought it reactivates after you restart your car.

Jimminez@Nemesis 03-21-2019 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by luder888 (Post 25292385)
How did you turn yours off? I thought it reactivates after you restart your car.

I'll double check. I selected it once and will see if it's back up as active. At least that is my recollection that I changed it in my MMI.

FrankS5 03-21-2019 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nemesis Autosport (Post 25292389)
I'll double check. I selected it once and will see if it's back up as active. At least that is my recollection that I changed it in my MMI.

Yeah I thought so too until it kicked in again, lol. With mine it turns back on every time I start the car, so I have it set to the least sensitive setting. Not as bad, but still happens - and scares me every time.

luder888 03-21-2019 10:55 AM

Sounds like it's one of those things I can disable completely by unplugging the radars but also lose ACC, or have to live with it. Unless we can convince Audi that this can be a safety issue and force them to perform a software update to allow disabling the system permanently.

I am not a big fan of the system potentially brake checking people behind me on a random basis. I get nervous driving my car now.

Sebastian3 03-22-2019 04:18 PM

I watched the video. The situation where you were reversing into your driveway was definitely very odd. The system must have seen a pedestrian or bike on the sidewalk...? My system will warn / brake occasionally when I’m reversing and there is clearly cross traffic — this of course intended functionality for rear cross traffic assist. But when you were reversing into your driveway I didn’t see anything that should have activated braking. Very strange.

The other instances in your video, as you acknowledge, seem more a result of the car being more sensitive than your spirited driving style would like. I have my pre sense system on “Medium” at all times and don’t have any issues. One time it actually stopped me from hitting two jaywalking pedestrians that jumped out from behind a bus.

___
2018 A5 coupe prestige

luder888 03-22-2019 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastian3 (Post 25293019)
I watched the video. The situation where you were reversing into your driveway was definitely very odd. The system must have seen a pedestrian or bike on the sidewalk...? My system will warn / brake occasionally when I’m reversing and there is clearly cross traffic — this of course intended functionality for rear cross traffic assist. But when you were reversing into your driveway I didn’t see anything that should have activated braking. Very strange.

The other instances in your video, as you acknowledge, seem more a result of the car being more sensitive than your spirited driving style would like. I have my pre sense system on “Medium” at all times and don’t have any issues. One time it actually stopped me from hitting two jaywalking pedestrians that jumped out from behind a bus.
___
2018 A5 coupe prestige

Even though I think it's an inherited flaw of the system, the dealer insisted the grille is to blame. I tried to work it out with the GM of the dealership but no go. They confirmed with Audi that when a bumper is removed, ACC needs to be re-calibrated, and that's not covered under warranty obviously. I'm just going to live with it for now and maybe call Audi USA to try see if I can work something out with them. I doubt I'll go anywhere with them either.

It is good to know Pre Sense worked for you. It hasn't for me yet. So far it's nothing but annoyance, but I'm sure the one time it saved my ass I won't be complaining about these false activations any longer.

JD15 03-23-2019 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by luder888 (Post 25293067)
Even though I think it's an inherited flaw of the system, the dealer insisted the grille is to blame. I tried to work it out with the GM of the dealership but no go. They confirmed with Audi that when a bumper is removed, ACC needs to be re-calibrated, and that's not covered under warranty obviously. I'm just going to live with it for now and maybe call Audi USA to try see if I can work something out with them. I doubt I'll go anywhere with them either.

It is good to know Pre Sense worked for you. It hasn't for me yet. So far it's nothing but annoyance, but I'm sure the one time it saved my ass I won't be complaining about these false activations any longer.

I guess that means we're on the hook for a $595 recalibration if the engine is ever pulled. Wonderful.

luder888 03-23-2019 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 25293193)
I guess that means we're on the hook for a $595 recalibration if the engine is ever pulled. Wonderful.

Another issue I reported at my appointment was that my car was pulling to the right. When I went to pick up my car, I asked if my service adviser if they did any alignment adjustment and he said no. I then went for a test drive with the service guy (he's the lead but I forgot his title) actually lied to me that he drove it up an alignment rack but all the numbers were perfect and it's the best tracking S5 he's ever driven, and that the pulling was due to road crown. Well that was a load of bull as I found out from my dash cam footage that all they did was pull the Pre Sense code while the car was on the ground and never drove it up to any alignment rack. I swear all dealerships are dishonest. They would say stuff to you to get you off their face and think you're stupid and will buy their fake stories. This is my 2nd Audi dealership I'm dealing with and it's no better.

As far as I understand, the ACC calibration is part of the procedure when performing an alignment, and alignment is covered for the 1st 12K/1year. Has anyone had any luck asking Audi to perform an alignment for them when there's no obvious handling or tire wear issues? Or do you think they can still use the grille as the excuse of not performing an alignment?

JD15 03-23-2019 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by luder888 (Post 25293201)
Another issue I reported at my appointment was that my car was pulling to the right. When I went to pick up my car, I asked if my service adviser if they did any alignment adjustment and he said no. I then went for a test drive with the service guy (he's the lead but I forgot his title) actually lied to me that he drove it up an alignment rack but all the numbers were perfect and it's the best tracking S5 he's ever driven, and that the pulling was due to road crown. Well that was a load of bull as I found out from my dash cam footage that all they did was pull the Pre Sense code while the car was on the ground and never drove it up to any alignment rack. I swear all dealerships are dishonest. They would say stuff to you to get you off their face and think you're stupid and will buy their fake stories. This is my 2nd Audi dealership I'm dealing with and it's no better.

As far as I understand, the ACC calibration is part of the procedure when performing an alignment, and alignment is covered for the 1st 12K/1year. Has anyone had any luck asking Audi to perform an alignment for them when there's no obvious handling or tire wear issues? Or do you think they can still use the grille as the excuse of not performing an alignment?

Actually, I noticed that my car with less than 1k miles is pulling to the right as well. It could be due to the road crown, but it seems more extreme. For example, when I was testing lane assist without hands on the steering wheel, my car fairly rapidly drifts to right until it hits one of the reflectors that are used to delineate lanes on side roads. This limits the usefulness of lane assist, as it seems the system cannot properly account for the constant rightward drift. Where did you read that alignments are covered for 1 year?

luder888 03-23-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 25293250)
Where did you read that alignments are covered for 1 year?

In the warranty manual that came with the car.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...fe18766dd8.jpg

Soopa1 03-25-2019 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sebastian3 (Post 25293019)

Its has happened to me a few times backing into my driveway. I thought I had backed into something the first time, but both times nothing was behind me.
I think throwing it in reverse and hitting the gas is the cause. Although one time it happened while I was actually in my garage, so who the hell knows. *shrugs*

The G Man 03-25-2019 12:23 PM

Knowing the Germans, they must take other parameters into the pre sense program beside the sensor distance, such as speed, steering angle, reverse, throttle position..........................

JD15 03-25-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25294225)
Knowing the Germans, they must take other parameters into the pre sense program beside the sensor distance, such as speed, steering angle, reverse, throttle position..........................

And then perform a calculation error and blame the user.

The G Man 03-25-2019 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 25294237)
And then perform a calculation error and blame the user.

I consider myself a person of science but this is one of the reason why I still do not trust self driving cars.

Nikon1 03-25-2019 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25294242)

I consider myself a person of science but this is one of the reason why I still do not trust self driving cars.

X2 — Unless those cars are mounted on steel rails!

luder888 03-25-2019 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25294242)

I am a software engineer and as much hype as there is about autonomous cars, I highly doubt we'll get there in our lifetime.

directorguy7 04-04-2019 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by luder888 (Post 25289927)
I have created a compilation of Pre Sense issues for you all to enjoy. I understand I have an aggressive driving style, but I shouldn't have to change my driving style to accommodate a safety system. Some might say the system responded the way it was designed to do because it has to react early enough to be able to stop in time while giving the driver enough time to react themselves. However, any false braking event is one too many and greatly affects the driving experience of a luxury car. I will also try to show this video to the dealer when I stop by next week, and probably also send it to Audi USA for them to review. I doubt there's anything they can do to existing cars. I just hope they can use this to design better cars in the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHNeUkKaaEA

Looks like you are in America. Do the B9 A4 / S4 have the "front cross traffic" thing (turn assist I think it's called?) Didn't think we had that in the B9. Can't find documentation about it from Audi.

IvanLZ 04-05-2019 04:49 AM

So while i was stopped in a red light for some reason the seat belts started to pull hard and i was sitting with someone so that scared the hell out of him lol. First time this has happened and I was surprised when i saw the PRE SENSE warning on the cockpit. It probably detected pedestrian crossing but come on I was completely stopped....

mhoran89 04-05-2019 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by IvanLZ (Post 25299182)
So while i was stopped in a red light for some reason the seat belts started to pull hard and i was sitting with someone so that scared the hell out of him lol. First time this has happened and I was surprised when i saw the PRE SENSE warning on the cockpit. It probably detected pedestrian crossing but come on I was completely stopped....

that could be pre-sense rear. pulls you into the seats prior to being rear ended so you don't have room to whiplash into the seat. i have never had it happen but my understanding is that sounds right for pre-sense rear.

missmem 04-05-2019 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by mhoran89 (Post 25299190)
that could be pre-sense rear. pulls you into the seats prior to being rear ended so you don't have room to whiplash into the seat. i have never had it happen but my understanding is that sounds right for pre-sense rear.

I had that happen to me when I was stopped at a traffic light, too. My brakes engaged super hard, even though I was already stopped, and the seatbelts tightened. Add I was freaking out thinking something had hit me, a bike rider came whizzing by me from the left side of the car. I guess he must have come pretty close to me for Pre-sense.

luder888 04-05-2019 04:33 PM

I can't believe the number of false activation people are experiencing with Pre Sense. PS has literally saved me from nothing so far, and 100% annoyance. One of these days I'll disconnect the rear radar and front radar sensors just to get rid of it, even if it means I lose ACC and side assist.

The G Man 04-06-2019 04:27 AM

The pre sense saved me once when I was backing out of a space and there was a van parked next to me. It did Falsely auto brake once when i was backing up while parallel parking. The system is not a 100%. My old Mercedes has a lot of false alarms too, i guess thats the price to pay for being early adaptors.

SloopJohnB@mac.com 04-06-2019 06:25 AM

Wrong

Originally Posted by directorguy7 (Post 25299126)
Looks like you are in America. Do the B9 A4 / S4 have the "front cross traffic" thing (turn assist I think it's called?) Didn't think we had that in the B9. Can't find documentation about it from Audi.

self described aggressive driving style says it all. You ain’t right, pal.

JD15 04-06-2019 06:30 AM

In six weeks of driving, I have had three false pre-sense alarms and no auto braking incidents. It's not as bad as I expected thus far, but I can reliably trigger false alarms by getting a bit close to a car turning right to another street or driveway.

SloopJohnB@mac.com 04-06-2019 06:30 AM

Already there.

Originally Posted by luder888 (Post 25294259)
I am a software engineer and as much hype as there is about autonomous cars, I highly doubt we'll get there in our lifetime.

A man of science wouldn’t deny what is clearly happening and has happened in several cities or states. How prevalent it gets is yet another issue for a man of science. Unlike fusion power which has always been 20 years in the future, autonomous cars exist now...the question remains how widespread they will become. I wouldn’t ride in one, but that’s just me. If I’m 90 and have physical issues preventing me from driving, such as my kids prying my M5 fob from my arthritic hands and banning me from driving, I might change my mind and take an autonomous vehicle to the Orchids of Asia Spa...😂😎

IvanLZ 04-06-2019 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by luder888 (Post 25299544)
I can't believe the number of false activation people are experiencing with Pre Sense. PS has literally saved me from nothing so far, and 100% annoyance. One of these days I'll disconnect the rear radar and front radar sensors just to get rid of it, even if it means I lose ACC and side assist.

0 saves and like 6-7 heart attacks for me and my passengers lol. Sometimes its straight up embarrassing.

Impulse_215 04-08-2019 03:33 AM

I'm reading through this thread and seeing all the information about presence alerts. I get the alert all the time but my car NEVER applies the brakes. I hear the chime and see the warning symbol, but get no reaction from the car otherwise.
FYI it's a 2018 S5 SB with DAP.

The G Man 04-08-2019 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Impulse_215 (Post 25300467)
I'm reading through this thread and seeing all the information about presence alerts. I get the alert all the time but my car NEVER applies the brakes. I hear the chime and see the warning symbol, but get no reaction from the car otherwise.
FYI it's a 2018 S5 SB with DAP.

What you are getting is a warning, I get a lot of those too, mostly false alarms. If you continue on that course, it will apply the brakes for you.

Like many innovative automations in our society, the system that supposedly replace or help human at first is not a 100%. The logic is that if it can save one accident, then that 100 false alarm is worth while.

JD15 04-08-2019 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25300486)
Like many innovative automations in our society, the system that supposedly replace or help human at first is not a 100%. The logic is that if it can save one accident, then that 100 false alarm is worth while.

That is an interesting set of logic. In that case, we may as well limit maximum speed to 5 mph to prevent nearly all fatal accidents.

IvanLZ 04-08-2019 07:29 AM

What you are getting is a warning, I get a lot of those too, mostly false alarms. If you continue on that course, it will apply the brakes for you.

The system is not perfect however Audi should allow people to deactivate this feature if they see fit. It’s flawed and shouldn’t be forced onto us.

dafantom 04-08-2019 10:09 AM

Wondering if those 100 false alarms just might cause one (or more) accidents, rendering another Nanny Control useless.

The G Man 04-08-2019 02:01 PM

Even after the self driving Tesla killed a woman, the regulators still have not given up on the self driving car concept. Its the sacrifice of the few for the greater good cause. As far as shutting off safety systems, forget about, Audi would be setting themself up for a lawsuit.

IvanLZ 04-09-2019 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25300782)
Even after the self driving Tesla killed a woman, the regulators still have not given up on the self driving car concept. Its the sacrifice of the few for the greater good cause. As far as shutting off safety systems, forget about, Audi would be setting themself up for a lawsuit.

Lawsuit? BMW has a central button that deactivates every safety feature of the car. This so called security system just drives my anxiety up every time im backing or parallel parking.

Yoshimura 04-09-2019 05:22 AM

Fortunately, pre sense was an option here in Canada. Even on the highest trim. If not, I would have reconsider trading my "old" SQ5.

IvanLZ 04-09-2019 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Yoshimura (Post 25301014)
Fortunately, pre sense was an option here in Canada. Even on the highest trim. If not, I would have reconsider trading my "old" SQ5.

I’m from Canada and i didn’t order DAP but the car has pre sense. It will have the rear cross warning which will automatically brake hard for you and also as i experienced it will pull the seat belt hard (according to a poster above) when you are close to being rear ended. I have a technik so I’m not sure if its excluded in the progressive.