Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Pre-sense...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pre-sense...

So today I was in the “suicide lane” waiting to turn left into a parking lot. When clear I hit the gas and to my surprise Audi Presense kicked in for no reason at all other than to scare the begeezus out of me. I’ve read similar threads on here but until you experience it for yourself you just have no idea!
Old 03-15-2019, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't have the DAP however all cars are equipped with the cross rear assist. No matter how slow i reverse or have my foot on the brake the car just abruptly stops for something that is not even close to touching my car and it has happened several times. I've got used to it kind of but the other day i scared my girlfriend twice because of this. Really wish we could turn this off.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I have created a compilation of Pre Sense issues for you all to enjoy. I understand I have an aggressive driving style, but I shouldn't have to change my driving style to accommodate a safety system. Some might say the system responded the way it was designed to do because it has to react early enough to be able to stop in time while giving the driver enough time to react themselves. However, any false braking event is one too many and greatly affects the driving experience of a luxury car. I will also try to show this video to the dealer when I stop by next week, and probably also send it to Audi USA for them to review. I doubt there's anything they can do to existing cars. I just hope they can use this to design better cars in the future.

Last edited by luder888; 03-19-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just an update. I took my car to the dealer today regarding the Pre Sense issues I ran into. The first thing they pointed out was the grille. Because I took the bumper off, now if I want the system re-calibrated it'll cost me $599. Just a warning to those who have had the grille put on. I told them I had issues even prior to the grille but they didn't want to hear that. I have no leverage after that.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 342 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Just an update. I took my car to the dealer today regarding the Pre Sense issues I ran into. The first thing they pointed out was the grille. Because I took the bumper off, now if I want the system re-calibrated it'll cost me $599. Just a warning to those who have had the grille put on. I told them I had issues even prior to the grille but they didn't want to hear that. I have no leverage after that.
That's a kick in the ballz. Hopefully it gets resolved after re-calibration though.

I've turned mine off in MMI and haven't noticed any odd behavior with it for now.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nemesis Autosport
That's a kick in the ballz. Hopefully it gets resolved after re-calibration though.

I've turned mine off.
How did you turn yours off? I thought it reactivates after you restart your car.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 342 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
How did you turn yours off? I thought it reactivates after you restart your car.
I'll double check. I selected it once and will see if it's back up as active. At least that is my recollection that I changed it in my MMI.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemesis Autosport
I'll double check. I selected it once and will see if it's back up as active. At least that is my recollection that I changed it in my MMI.
Yeah I thought so too until it kicked in again, lol. With mine it turns back on every time I start the car, so I have it set to the least sensitive setting. Not as bad, but still happens - and scares me every time.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like it's one of those things I can disable completely by unplugging the radars but also lose ACC, or have to live with it. Unless we can convince Audi that this can be a safety issue and force them to perform a software update to allow disabling the system permanently.

I am not a big fan of the system potentially brake checking people behind me on a random basis. I get nervous driving my car now.

Last edited by luder888; 03-21-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:18 PM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I watched the video. The situation where you were reversing into your driveway was definitely very odd. The system must have seen a pedestrian or bike on the sidewalk...? My system will warn / brake occasionally when I’m reversing and there is clearly cross traffic — this of course intended functionality for rear cross traffic assist. But when you were reversing into your driveway I didn’t see anything that should have activated braking. Very strange.

The other instances in your video, as you acknowledge, seem more a result of the car being more sensitive than your spirited driving style would like. I have my pre sense system on “Medium” at all times and don’t have any issues. One time it actually stopped me from hitting two jaywalking pedestrians that jumped out from behind a bus.

___
2018 A5 coupe prestige

Quick Reply: Pre-sense...