Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Pre-sense...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
i am surprise it took car manufacturers this long to catch onto this, its a nice high profit margin option. Hopefully this will open the door for more build in dash cams.
I agree! Stick a high quality SD card in the slot, select it through MMI for dash cam and voila.
It would be great if it included vehicle data and used the other cameras on board too.

edit: The top 360 view used for parking of a vehicle impact would be pretty useful.

Last edited by 2016Q5; 04-15-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:52 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016Q5
I agree! Stick a high quality SD card in the slot, select it through MMI for dash cam and voila.
It would be great if it included vehicle data and used the other cameras on board too.

edit: The top 360 view used for parking of a vehicle impact would be pretty useful.
But, I’m sure if they did this, it would not be to an SD card: I’m sure it would go to their cloud servers and users would get roped into an even larger “subscription” bill then the current AudiConnect. It’s all about building “sustainable long term income / profit.”

— John
Old 04-15-2019, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
But, I’m sure if they did this, it would not be to an SD card: I’m sure it would go to their cloud servers and users would get roped into an even larger “subscription” bill then the current AudiConnect. It’s all about building “sustainable long term income / profit.”

— John
Maybe...That's a boatload of data flying around though. It wouldn't work if most vehicles did this. I'm sure they could make it subscription based, like connect but saved locally.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a on-board hard drive already, all one really need is about a week worth of storage, around 30gb.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
There is a on-board hard drive already, all one really need is about a week worth of storage, around 30gb.
Isn't the on-board hard drive a pathetic 10gb or something similar ? Presumably it's just the left over space after the Nav data takes it's chunk... It would be great to have dashcam functionality built-in though.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I've been wondering why no manufacturer has implemented built-in dash cam functionality yet. I would be far more willing to pay extra for such a feature than for more assisted driving features. With the idiocy I encounter on a daily basis, I could make quite a bit of money if I started uploading road rage/idiot driver compilations to Youtube.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I've been wondering why no manufacturer has implemented built-in dash cam functionality yet. I would be far more willing to pay extra for such a feature than for more assisted driving features. With the idiocy I encounter on a daily basis, I could make quite a bit of money if I started uploading road rage/idiot driver compilations to Youtube.
The Tesla Model 3 has it as standard; available on Model S and X made after a certain date. It even uses the side mirror cameras for recording coined Sentry Mode.

https://www.tesla.com/support/software-v9#dashcam
Old 04-15-2019, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

A correction is needed in the manual for this section.

The first - bullet item is written;

"...critical driving situations can be detected by pre sense basic and measures for preventative
occupant protection are can be initiated."

The word "are", needs to be removed.

You're welcome Audi.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by TT-S4; 04-15-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I had my first true false activation this morning while sitting at a red light. Out of nowhere, the Pre-Sense light activated, my seat belt started strangling me, and the side bolsters fully inflated. There was nothing that should have triggered this reaction; neither the car behind me nor the cars in adjacent lanes moved and the activation was seemingly completely random. I would hope that the bolsters would eventually deflate to the previous setting, but instead they remained on the fully inflated setting and I had no manually set them to a comfortable level.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I had my first true false activation this morning while sitting at a red light. Out of nowhere, the Pre-Sense light activated, my seat belt started strangling me, and the side bolsters fully inflated. There was nothing that should have triggered this reaction; neither the car behind me nor the cars in adjacent lanes moved and the activation was seemingly completely random. I would hope that the bolsters would eventually deflate to the previous setting, but instead they remained on the fully inflated setting and I had no manually set them to a comfortable level.
Don't ever question the Pre-Sense God. It knew you were about to be attacked by a supernatural creature and was trying to protect you!

Quick Reply: Pre-sense...