Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Pre-sense...

 
Old 04-15-2019, 05:48 AM
  #111  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 84
Default

Originally Posted by The G Man View Post
i am surprise it took car manufacturers this long to catch onto this, its a nice high profit margin option. Hopefully this will open the door for more build in dash cams.
I agree! Stick a high quality SD card in the slot, select it through MMI for dash cam and voila.
It would be great if it included vehicle data and used the other cameras on board too.

edit: The top 360 view used for parking of a vehicle impact would be pretty useful.

Last edited by 2016Q5; 04-15-2019 at 06:04 AM.
2016Q5 is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:52 AM
  #112  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Nikon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,809
Default

Originally Posted by 2016Q5 View Post
I agree! Stick a high quality SD card in the slot, select it through MMI for dash cam and voila.
It would be great if it included vehicle data and used the other cameras on board too.

edit: The top 360 view used for parking of a vehicle impact would be pretty useful.
But, I’m sure if they did this, it would not be to an SD card: I’m sure it would go to their cloud servers and users would get roped into an even larger “subscription” bill then the current AudiConnect. It’s all about building “sustainable long term income / profit.”

— John
Nikon1 is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 09:28 AM
  #113  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 84
Default

Originally Posted by Nikon1 View Post
But, I’m sure if they did this, it would not be to an SD card: I’m sure it would go to their cloud servers and users would get roped into an even larger “subscription” bill then the current AudiConnect. It’s all about building “sustainable long term income / profit.”

— John
Maybe...That's a boatload of data flying around though. It wouldn't work if most vehicles did this. I'm sure they could make it subscription based, like connect but saved locally.
2016Q5 is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 10:24 AM
  #114  
AudiWorld Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,134
Default

There is a on-board hard drive already, all one really need is about a week worth of storage, around 30gb.
The G Man is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 10:44 AM
  #115  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
James P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,271
Default

Originally Posted by The G Man View Post
There is a on-board hard drive already, all one really need is about a week worth of storage, around 30gb.
Isn't the on-board hard drive a pathetic 10gb or something similar ? Presumably it's just the left over space after the Nav data takes it's chunk... It would be great to have dashcam functionality built-in though.
James P. is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 11:54 AM
  #116  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
JD15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,639
Default

I've been wondering why no manufacturer has implemented built-in dash cam functionality yet. I would be far more willing to pay extra for such a feature than for more assisted driving features. With the idiocy I encounter on a daily basis, I could make quite a bit of money if I started uploading road rage/idiot driver compilations to Youtube.
JD15 is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 12:16 PM
  #117  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 99
Default

Originally Posted by JD15 View Post
I've been wondering why no manufacturer has implemented built-in dash cam functionality yet. I would be far more willing to pay extra for such a feature than for more assisted driving features. With the idiocy I encounter on a daily basis, I could make quite a bit of money if I started uploading road rage/idiot driver compilations to Youtube.
The Tesla Model 3 has it as standard; available on Model S and X made after a certain date. It even uses the side mirror cameras for recording coined Sentry Mode.


https://www.tesla.com/support/software-v9#dashcam
Daaavid is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 01:10 PM
  #118  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 142
Default

A correction is needed in the manual for this section.

The first - bullet item is written;

"...critical driving situations can be detected by pre sense basic and measures for preventative
occupant protection are can be initiated."

The word "are", needs to be removed.

You're welcome Audi.



[/QUOTE]

Last edited by TT-S4; 04-15-2019 at 01:13 PM.
TT-S4 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM
  #119  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
JD15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,639
Default

I had my first true false activation this morning while sitting at a red light. Out of nowhere, the Pre-Sense light activated, my seat belt started strangling me, and the side bolsters fully inflated. There was nothing that should have triggered this reaction; neither the car behind me nor the cars in adjacent lanes moved and the activation was seemingly completely random. I would hope that the bolsters would eventually deflate to the previous setting, but instead they remained on the fully inflated setting and I had no manually set them to a comfortable level.
JD15 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM
  #120  
AudiWorld Member
 
luder888's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 543
Default

Originally Posted by JD15 View Post
I had my first true false activation this morning while sitting at a red light. Out of nowhere, the Pre-Sense light activated, my seat belt started strangling me, and the side bolsters fully inflated. There was nothing that should have triggered this reaction; neither the car behind me nor the cars in adjacent lanes moved and the activation was seemingly completely random. I would hope that the bolsters would eventually deflate to the previous setting, but instead they remained on the fully inflated setting and I had no manually set them to a comfortable level.
Don't ever question the Pre-Sense God. It knew you were about to be attacked by a supernatural creature and was trying to protect you!
luder888 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pre-sense...


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: