AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Pre-sense... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/pre-sense-2968801/)

luder888 03-22-2019 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastian3 (Post 25293019)
I watched the video. The situation where you were reversing into your driveway was definitely very odd. The system must have seen a pedestrian or bike on the sidewalk...? My system will warn / brake occasionally when I’m reversing and there is clearly cross traffic — this of course intended functionality for rear cross traffic assist. But when you were reversing into your driveway I didn’t see anything that should have activated braking. Very strange.

The other instances in your video, as you acknowledge, seem more a result of the car being more sensitive than your spirited driving style would like. I have my pre sense system on “Medium” at all times and don’t have any issues. One time it actually stopped me from hitting two jaywalking pedestrians that jumped out from behind a bus.
___
2018 A5 coupe prestige

Even though I think it's an inherited flaw of the system, the dealer insisted the grille is to blame. I tried to work it out with the GM of the dealership but no go. They confirmed with Audi that when a bumper is removed, ACC needs to be re-calibrated, and that's not covered under warranty obviously. I'm just going to live with it for now and maybe call Audi USA to try see if I can work something out with them. I doubt I'll go anywhere with them either.

It is good to know Pre Sense worked for you. It hasn't for me yet. So far it's nothing but annoyance, but I'm sure the one time it saved my ass I won't be complaining about these false activations any longer.

JD15 03-23-2019 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by luder888 (Post 25293067)
Even though I think it's an inherited flaw of the system, the dealer insisted the grille is to blame. I tried to work it out with the GM of the dealership but no go. They confirmed with Audi that when a bumper is removed, ACC needs to be re-calibrated, and that's not covered under warranty obviously. I'm just going to live with it for now and maybe call Audi USA to try see if I can work something out with them. I doubt I'll go anywhere with them either.

It is good to know Pre Sense worked for you. It hasn't for me yet. So far it's nothing but annoyance, but I'm sure the one time it saved my ass I won't be complaining about these false activations any longer.

I guess that means we're on the hook for a $595 recalibration if the engine is ever pulled. Wonderful.

luder888 03-23-2019 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 25293193)
I guess that means we're on the hook for a $595 recalibration if the engine is ever pulled. Wonderful.

Another issue I reported at my appointment was that my car was pulling to the right. When I went to pick up my car, I asked if my service adviser if they did any alignment adjustment and he said no. I then went for a test drive with the service guy (he's the lead but I forgot his title) actually lied to me that he drove it up an alignment rack but all the numbers were perfect and it's the best tracking S5 he's ever driven, and that the pulling was due to road crown. Well that was a load of bull as I found out from my dash cam footage that all they did was pull the Pre Sense code while the car was on the ground and never drove it up to any alignment rack. I swear all dealerships are dishonest. They would say stuff to you to get you off their face and think you're stupid and will buy their fake stories. This is my 2nd Audi dealership I'm dealing with and it's no better.

As far as I understand, the ACC calibration is part of the procedure when performing an alignment, and alignment is covered for the 1st 12K/1year. Has anyone had any luck asking Audi to perform an alignment for them when there's no obvious handling or tire wear issues? Or do you think they can still use the grille as the excuse of not performing an alignment?

JD15 03-23-2019 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by luder888 (Post 25293201)
Another issue I reported at my appointment was that my car was pulling to the right. When I went to pick up my car, I asked if my service adviser if they did any alignment adjustment and he said no. I then went for a test drive with the service guy (he's the lead but I forgot his title) actually lied to me that he drove it up an alignment rack but all the numbers were perfect and it's the best tracking S5 he's ever driven, and that the pulling was due to road crown. Well that was a load of bull as I found out from my dash cam footage that all they did was pull the Pre Sense code while the car was on the ground and never drove it up to any alignment rack. I swear all dealerships are dishonest. They would say stuff to you to get you off their face and think you're stupid and will buy their fake stories. This is my 2nd Audi dealership I'm dealing with and it's no better.

As far as I understand, the ACC calibration is part of the procedure when performing an alignment, and alignment is covered for the 1st 12K/1year. Has anyone had any luck asking Audi to perform an alignment for them when there's no obvious handling or tire wear issues? Or do you think they can still use the grille as the excuse of not performing an alignment?

Actually, I noticed that my car with less than 1k miles is pulling to the right as well. It could be due to the road crown, but it seems more extreme. For example, when I was testing lane assist without hands on the steering wheel, my car fairly rapidly drifts to right until it hits one of the reflectors that are used to delineate lanes on side roads. This limits the usefulness of lane assist, as it seems the system cannot properly account for the constant rightward drift. Where did you read that alignments are covered for 1 year?

luder888 03-23-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 25293250)
Where did you read that alignments are covered for 1 year?

In the warranty manual that came with the car.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...fe18766dd8.jpg

Soopa1 03-25-2019 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sebastian3 (Post 25293019)
I watched the video. The situation where you were reversing into your driveway was definitely very odd. The system must have seen a pedestrian or bike on the sidewalk...? My system will warn / brake occasionally when I’m reversing and there is clearly cross traffic — this of course intended functionality for rear cross traffic assist. But when you were reversing into your driveway I didn’t see anything that should have activated braking. Very strange.

Its has happened to me a few times backing into my driveway. I thought I had backed into something the first time, but both times nothing was behind me.
I think throwing it in reverse and hitting the gas is the cause. Although one time it happened while I was actually in my garage, so who the hell knows. *shrugs*

The G Man 03-25-2019 12:23 PM

Knowing the Germans, they must take other parameters into the pre sense program beside the sensor distance, such as speed, steering angle, reverse, throttle position..........................

JD15 03-25-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25294225)
Knowing the Germans, they must take other parameters into the pre sense program beside the sensor distance, such as speed, steering angle, reverse, throttle position..........................

And then perform a calculation error and blame the user.

The G Man 03-25-2019 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 25294237)
And then perform a calculation error and blame the user.

I consider myself a person of science but this is one of the reason why I still do not trust self driving cars.

Nikon1 03-25-2019 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25294242)

I consider myself a person of science but this is one of the reason why I still do not trust self driving cars.

X2 — Unless those cars are mounted on steel rails!