AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Pre-sense... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/pre-sense-2968801/)

luder888 03-25-2019 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25294242)

I consider myself a person of science but this is one of the reason why I still do not trust self driving cars.

I am a software engineer and as much hype as there is about autonomous cars, I highly doubt we'll get there in our lifetime.

directorguy7 04-04-2019 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by luder888 (Post 25289927)
I have created a compilation of Pre Sense issues for you all to enjoy. I understand I have an aggressive driving style, but I shouldn't have to change my driving style to accommodate a safety system. Some might say the system responded the way it was designed to do because it has to react early enough to be able to stop in time while giving the driver enough time to react themselves. However, any false braking event is one too many and greatly affects the driving experience of a luxury car. I will also try to show this video to the dealer when I stop by next week, and probably also send it to Audi USA for them to review. I doubt there's anything they can do to existing cars. I just hope they can use this to design better cars in the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHNeUkKaaEA

Looks like you are in America. Do the B9 A4 / S4 have the "front cross traffic" thing (turn assist I think it's called?) Didn't think we had that in the B9. Can't find documentation about it from Audi.

IvanLZ 04-05-2019 04:49 AM

So while i was stopped in a red light for some reason the seat belts started to pull hard and i was sitting with someone so that scared the hell out of him lol. First time this has happened and I was surprised when i saw the PRE SENSE warning on the cockpit. It probably detected pedestrian crossing but come on I was completely stopped....

mhoran89 04-05-2019 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by IvanLZ (Post 25299182)
So while i was stopped in a red light for some reason the seat belts started to pull hard and i was sitting with someone so that scared the hell out of him lol. First time this has happened and I was surprised when i saw the PRE SENSE warning on the cockpit. It probably detected pedestrian crossing but come on I was completely stopped....

that could be pre-sense rear. pulls you into the seats prior to being rear ended so you don't have room to whiplash into the seat. i have never had it happen but my understanding is that sounds right for pre-sense rear.

missmem 04-05-2019 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by mhoran89 (Post 25299190)
that could be pre-sense rear. pulls you into the seats prior to being rear ended so you don't have room to whiplash into the seat. i have never had it happen but my understanding is that sounds right for pre-sense rear.

I had that happen to me when I was stopped at a traffic light, too. My brakes engaged super hard, even though I was already stopped, and the seatbelts tightened. Add I was freaking out thinking something had hit me, a bike rider came whizzing by me from the left side of the car. I guess he must have come pretty close to me for Pre-sense.

luder888 04-05-2019 04:33 PM

I can't believe the number of false activation people are experiencing with Pre Sense. PS has literally saved me from nothing so far, and 100% annoyance. One of these days I'll disconnect the rear radar and front radar sensors just to get rid of it, even if it means I lose ACC and side assist.

The G Man 04-06-2019 04:27 AM

The pre sense saved me once when I was backing out of a space and there was a van parked next to me. It did Falsely auto brake once when i was backing up while parallel parking. The system is not a 100%. My old Mercedes has a lot of false alarms too, i guess thats the price to pay for being early adaptors.

SloopJohnB@mac.com 04-06-2019 06:25 AM

Wrong

Originally Posted by directorguy7 (Post 25299126)
Looks like you are in America. Do the B9 A4 / S4 have the "front cross traffic" thing (turn assist I think it's called?) Didn't think we had that in the B9. Can't find documentation about it from Audi.

self described aggressive driving style says it all. You ain’t right, pal.

JD15 04-06-2019 06:30 AM

In six weeks of driving, I have had three false pre-sense alarms and no auto braking incidents. It's not as bad as I expected thus far, but I can reliably trigger false alarms by getting a bit close to a car turning right to another street or driveway.

SloopJohnB@mac.com 04-06-2019 06:30 AM

Already there.

Originally Posted by luder888 (Post 25294259)
I am a software engineer and as much hype as there is about autonomous cars, I highly doubt we'll get there in our lifetime.

A man of science wouldn’t deny what is clearly happening and has happened in several cities or states. How prevalent it gets is yet another issue for a man of science. Unlike fusion power which has always been 20 years in the future, autonomous cars exist now...the question remains how widespread they will become. I wouldn’t ride in one, but that’s just me. If I’m 90 and have physical issues preventing me from driving, such as my kids prying my M5 fob from my arthritic hands and banning me from driving, I might change my mind and take an autonomous vehicle to the Orchids of Asia Spa...😂😎