Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Prices Paid for A5 SportBack

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by friguy3
NJ...looking at a S5 SB, sat and talked, gave me the 3% off. Is a 8-10% of MSRP really "easily" obtainable? Ive read this thread, how do you guys do it?!? Guess time and patience, just not sure how low to counter?
My experience over the years has been that you have to have two key points to communicate with the dealer. First they need to know you're truly ready to buy, if they don't sense that you won't get the same movement on price. The second thing is you have to have an alternative to whatever it is you are asking them to do for you. It could be another dealer with the same car, it could be you're willing to wait, or you won't buy without getting your terms. If you're not willing to hold on to that alternative, your negotiating power goes down substantially. For me, once the dealers knew I was serious and ready to buy, they started to get serious with their offers. I think invoice is close to the best you'll see on an S5 SB (unless you add the $1000 loyalty rebate to it). January seems to be a really slow month for them and the end of the month seemed to have them more motivated. You can find out the invoice price on edmunds or KBB or other new car websites.

The dealer that wound up offering 3% on the first offer got to invoice after I kept saying no and was talking to another dealer. They would touch base once or twice a day with me (don't call them, wait for them to call you as long as they know you're a true buyer). Once they start calling you after your first "no" is when you have the ability to start getting the price down.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I ordered an A5 Sportsback Prestige this weekend and I was given 6% off MSRP
Old 01-29-2018, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Audi_Ocean
I ordered an A5 Sportsback Prestige this weekend and I was given 6% off MSRP
This was in Northern Virginia outside of Washington D.C.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by friguy3
NJ...looking at a S5 SB, sat and talked, gave me the 3% off. Is a 8-10% of MSRP really "easily" obtainable? Ive read this thread, how do you guys do it?!? Guess time and patience, just not sure how low to counter?
LMK what spec you're after
Old 01-29-2018, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm shopping for an S5 Sportback and I have my eye on a local car:

Prestige
Dakota Paint
Red Napa Leather
Carbon Atlas Trim
Cold Weather Pkg
S-Sport Pkg
Driver Assistance Pkg
All Weather Mats

MSRP: 67,090 (incl. destination)
Invoice $62,468 (according to edmunds.com)

First offer from my local dealer was $300 under (Edmunds) invoice, or 7.3% below MSRP.

How are others here reaching 10%-12%, or more, off MSRP? I know how to negotiate. But am not as familiar with Audi and what levers or arguments might be used to drive it down further, other than simply, "I want a bigger discount". Since this was their initial offer, it feels like there's more discount available. It is an end of month offer from them (January). Thanks in advance!
Old 01-30-2018, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jobber104

Prestige
Dakota Paint
Red Napa Leather
Carbon Atlas Trim
Cold Weather Pkg
S-Sport Pkg
Driver Assistance Pkg
All Weather Mats

First offer from my local dealer was $300 under (Edmunds) invoice, or 7.3% below MSRP.

How are others here reaching 10%-12%, or more, off MSRP? I know how to negotiate. But am not as familiar with Audi and what levers or arguments might be used to drive it down further, other than simply, "I want a bigger discount". Since this was their initial offer, it feels like there's more discount available. It is an end of month offer from them (January). Thanks in advance!
sounds like a good offer man, take it ! Perhaps see if you can negotiate Audi Care to be thrown in but otherwise looks good to me ...
Old 01-30-2018, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

It really is location based here in the SF Bay Area there are tons of folks who are willing to pay msrp, so getting discounts are hard.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jobber104

Prestige
Dakota Paint
Red Napa Leather
Carbon Atlas Trim
Cold Weather Pkg
S-Sport Pkg
Driver Assistance Pkg
All Weather Mats

I got really lucky, right timing (end of year) and the right salesperson (he's really a nice guy) i guess. But here's my experience:

I didn't really want to buy the car in the first place. I went in with a 13%-15% off MSRP expectation and knew that if they don't hit my number, I don't pull trigger. I kept it to myself, talked to them, tested drive the car, showed them that the car and their service impressed me. Up to this point, it was all about the car, no pricing at all. I can see they think I am serious buyer.

Then they gave me the first offer, just like yours, around 6-7%. I told them my 15% off MSRP, they of course rejected. I told the salesman to talk to the manager, saying that their initial offer I can get anywhere in any dealership, and it's not showing that they want to work with me. Manager came out, after several rounds of discussion, got it to around 11% off as second offer. I said sorry, and left. The salesman walked me to the door, and I was like: we are getting close, I can meet half-way but not 11%, I am asking for 15%, that's far away, you guys think about it and let me know.

The second day got phone call and went back, agreed on 13% eventually (the second time I walked in, I indeed wanted to buy the car already, so I didn't push further). Then I got the final quote, and surprised them that I have a trade-in. Up to that point, it didn't take get too hard to ask for that extra $$ for my trade-in, all i did was telling them that it's not worth it blowing up the sales because of the trade-in.

So that's it. I think most of it was luck, but it will only come when you are truly ready to not buy the car.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wish I had found this great site before! Walked into Audi dealership in South Texas having to trade in an infinity (as I was getting close to exhausting mileage on then current lease). After explaining I had walked out on MB dealer the day before, Manager says he will cut to the chase and make his best offer. He said they were only making “stock price”, which is the minimum the dealership owners will authorize him. It was the equivalente of 4.5% off MSRP. That he couldn’t go any lower than that since he was basically moving the car to reach his end of month quota. So I proceeded to focus on the trade in value of my leased car for which he offered $3000 below my asking price. He said he could not do any better since it has to be sold at auction (car was involved in a minor accident). Ultimately, he agreed to pay $1,500 more for my car. So I agreed to 4.5% off from MSRP of $53,140. It is an A5 SB with the following packages/options:
Manhattan Gray Metallic
Prenium Plus
Navigation
S Line
Ventilated Seats
19” S line Wheels
Natural Gray Wood Inlays
Allweather mats

I have bought several MB before, but I was new to the Audi brand. Second guessing myself, I found this thread and it seems I got a decent, standard deal but nothing more. Depending on location, it seems like more than 5% off MSRP is a good deal.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for sharing your experiences

I'm still negotiating, not sure I'm getting much further from my original deal. But one notable issue is that my dealer is telling me that MSD is not available for Audi. I was looking to max out MSD (10) to bring down the MF and payment. I don't mind parking $$ with Audi for this purpose. I used to do it all the time with BMW (but they ended their program last year). Anybody else hearing that MSD isn't offered by Audi anymore, or had a dealer refusing to let you use it? Seems odd I can't find anything official from Audi on the internet about their MSD program.

Quick Reply: Prices Paid for A5 SportBack