Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Prices Paid for A5 SportBack

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jobber104
Thanks for sharing your experiences

I'm still negotiating, not sure I'm getting much further from my original deal. But one notable issue is that my dealer is telling me that MSD is not available for Audi. I was looking to max out MSD (10) to bring down the MF and payment. I don't mind parking $$ with Audi for this purpose. I used to do it all the time with BMW (but they ended their program last year). Anybody else hearing that MSD isn't offered by Audi anymore, or had a dealer refusing to let you use it? Seems odd I can't find anything official from Audi on the internet about their MSD program.

PS - I'm NOT in NY, where I have heard MSD isn't offered (due to NY Law). Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

MSD's are offered depending on the state - but the money factory is already relatively low, and the residual is strong, so why would you want to tie your cash up?
Old 02-01-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quick Update: There are deals out there

I just took delivery of my new 2018 S5 SB and feel I got a good deal:

Prestige
Dakota Paint
Red Napa Leather
Carbon Atlas Trim
Cold Weather Pkg
S-Line Sport Pkg
Driver Assistance Pkg
All Weather Mats
Audi Care

MSRP: 67,090 (+Audi Care = 67,959)
Sale Price: 59,631 (+Audi Care = 60,634)

So discount before including Audi Care was 11.1% off MSRP, and after Audi Care was 10.8%. Even though it's a lease, adding Audi Care with those prices was a no-brainer since it bumped the residual +1% and will cover my 20k and 30k services before turning in the vehicle (10k service automatically included by Audi).

It took a lot of back & forth, and me standing my ground. Particularly on the use of MSDs, which the dealer didn't want to do (says they never do MSDs). But I overcame that and at the end my monthly is $707 (not including tax which is prepaid in my state, or ACQ and TTL - all of which I choose to pay upfront, and minor doc fees). Otherwise no cap cost reduction on my end. FWIW, their first "offer" to me was $62,173 (without Audi Care).

I started the negotiations on Monday and closed on Wednesday. The dealer had set the "end of month" as the deal timeline, so I used that to my advantage to keep pushing for what I wanted on the 31st.

I feel good about the deal, and wouldn't have done it for any more (we were 800 away and I was ready to walk since I didn't really need a new car right now).
Old 02-01-2018, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
MSD's are offered depending on the state - but the money factory is already relatively low, and the residual is strong, so why would you want to tie your cash up?
The way I look at it, parking $6525 (9 MSD x $725) for a $1800 ($50/mo for 36mo) savings over 3 yrs equates to a 27%+ ROI on tying up that cash. It helps because as it reduces your monthly payment with MSDs, the amount of MSDs is also reduced (each MSD is based on your monthly payment, rounded up to the nearest 25). So if your payments are $826/mo, each MSD would cost you $850. Mine "cost" me $725, so even better through negotiation and MSD usage. It also benefits the cash-on-hand vs. cash flow equation. I like to keep my monthly expenses low wherever it makes sense to save, and continue funneling more income into other investment vehicles. Others may reasonably disagree with the strategy, but for me it works and doesn't hurt to do so (in fact benefits, based on financial assumptions in my first sentence). Merits or disadvantages of MSD have been debated forever, but I've never had issue with it. Always welcome to other's perspectives, though!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's hoping I did well. I think I came out okay...
$51,500 including destination
A5 SB Prestige
Scuba Blue
Cold Weather Package
Drivers Assistance Package
S line Sport
19" S line wheels
Ventilated Seats
Old 02-13-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mdpeterman
Here's hoping I did well. I think I came out okay...
$51,500 including destination
A5 SB Prestige
Scuba Blue
Cold Weather Package
Drivers Assistance Package
S line Sport
19" S line wheels
Ventilated Seats
Not a bad deal, since you got this deal past December. I assume that price does not include tax tittle & registration, that is a reasonable deal.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is it harder to get deals after December since its new sales year? Price does not include tax or title.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mdpeterman
Is it harder to get deals after December since its new sales year? Price does not include tax or title.
True, in that case its a great deal. I bought the exact same car with the identical options but mine is Glacier White and it has a few extra options since it was a car on the dealer lot and I got around 1500 less then what you got but I did my deal in December, so I was able to quality for the deals in December.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got it. Well seeing that others struggled to get 5% in some cases I guess I felt okay getting 9.5% off MSRP. May have been able to push for more but oh well... Now just the long wait for delivery. Probably helped that yours was on the lot too. I probably have less leverage doing an order.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Bought an A5 Prestige yesterday - it had just been delivered to the dealer. It was still in transport mode all wrapped up in plastic. Dealer said 7%, I asked for 10% and he said ok. That was it. I had another car lined up at a different dealer at 10% off and that my have helped.

Prestige
Manhattan Gray / Black Interior
Driver Assistance
Cold Weather
S Line
19" Wheels
Ventilated Seats
Rear AirBags.

MSRP 57800, 52,000 before tax / tags / title

I am happy with it - am sure people with better bargaining skills could have got more. Looks like there are bargains to be had out there.

This is in the DC metro area

Quick Reply: Prices Paid for A5 SportBack