Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Prices Paid for A5 SportBack

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also in the market for A5 SB P+, last post is around March. Anyone else got one recently? noticed that discount are mostly in 6-8% wonder if it still applies since 2020 face-lift is around the corner. I'm in Dallas, TX region if it makes any diff.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

the facelift is nowhere near around the corner

cannot even be ordered yet, you won't see them till next ~summer
Old 09-26-2019, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Perfect than, no rush in buying.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dragazn
I'm also in the market for A5 SB P+, last post is around March. Anyone else got one recently? noticed that discount are mostly in 6-8% wonder if it still applies since 2020 face-lift is around the corner. I'm in Dallas, TX region if it makes any diff.
Hey, I bough A5 Sportback P+ fully loaded in 2018 as they came out and just showed up at dealers showroom. Car had all options with exception of harmon kardon audio system. Discount was ~10% off MSRP.
After first 500 miles I realized that I can't stand this car, but it was too late as purchase deal was done.
Dealer laughed at my face when I told them I want to trade it in with 500 miles on odometer, and insulted me with low ball trade in price saying they have hard time to move A5 inventory.
I listed it for sale by owner online at all major sites cars.com, autotrader, car gurus, eBay motors and kept driving it while trying to sell. It took over a year to find someone to agree to purchase A5, I literally had it priced as lowest in a country online and kept dropping price as mileage increased and value diminished. Yes A5 has gorgeous look, and interior is nicely updated, but I would suggest to have a long... very very long test drive before you decide to purchase A5.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by weber806
Hey, I bough A5 Sportback P+ fully loaded in 2018 as they came out and just showed up at dealers showroom. Car had all options with exception of harmon kardon audio system. Discount was ~10% off MSRP.
After first 500 miles I realized that I can't stand this car, but it was too late as purchase deal was done.
Dealer laughed at my face when I told them I want to trade it in with 500 miles on odometer, and insulted me with low ball trade in price saying they have hard time to move A5 inventory.
I listed it for sale by owner online at all major sites cars.com, autotrader, car gurus, eBay motors and kept driving it while trying to sell. It took over a year to find someone to agree to purchase A5, I literally had it priced as lowest in a country online and kept dropping price as mileage increased and value diminished. Yes A5 has gorgeous look, and interior is nicely updated, but I would suggest to have a long... very very long test drive before you decide to purchase A5.
What were you trying to trade in for? I personally love my A5 Prestige after almost 600 miles on it. Didn't need the additional power of the S5 or the RS5. I am fine with getting 0-60 in 5.7 seconds vs. 3.7. To answer dragazn's question, I noticed that the MSRP at the dealer for the A5 that I just bought at the beginning of the month has come down around $1,000. So it seems like dealers are being incentivized to move the 2019 inventory given what seems to be not so hot demand. I got around 10% off MSRP for my Prestige with Black Optics and in the color I really wanted. Would've gotten more than that for the white or blue one that was sitting on their lot for the past 6 months. So I would start off at 15% and set your walk away at 12% and go with this offer to several dealers in your area if you can. Also, go with a Prestige since a fully loaded P+ is almost the same price as the Prestige. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 376 Likes on 259 Posts

What didn't you like about it that you wanted to give it up after 500 miles? Details like that would more useful than "Yes A5 has gorgeous look, and interior is nicely updated, but I would suggest to have a long... very very long test drive before you decide to purchase A5"
Old 09-27-2019, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Yeah, I would be really interested in what you found so unusable about the A5SB - probably the first I am hearing of such negative ownership experience. Of course dealer would low ball you, they would do that for any car. When I decided get the RS5 I put my A5SB Prestige on Autotrader and sold the car within 2 days of posting the ad for $43K. The car had 14K miles on it and was a Matador Red one (supposedly red being a color no one wants).
Old 09-27-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by dragazn
In Texas, with so many Audi dealers within driving distance between HTX, ATX, SATX, & DFW - easy 10% off if you are even halfway decent at playing the game, I would probably be looking at 15%. Of course the longer you wait the less choices you will have in terms of equipment and color on the 2019s.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DaveSNJ
What didn't you like about it that you wanted to give it up after 500 miles? Details like that would more useful than "Yes A5 has gorgeous look, and interior is nicely updated, but I would suggest to have a long... very very long test drive before you decide to purchase A5"
My feedback after 12+ months of ownership of fully loaded 2018 Audi A5 Sportback Premium Plus. These are purely my thoughts. The car used a daily driver, about 1000 miles per month.
Vehicle was purchased brand new MSRP ~53K-55K

BEST features:
1. Sporty and sleek exterior look
2. Quatro system
3. Engine (surprisingly powerful for 4 cylinders)
4. S "semi-sport mode"
5. Smooth transmission
6. Virtual cockpit w/ Navigation & MMI touch system

NOT so good features:
1. Interior dimensions - perfect size for 2 adults. Its a sedan but only usable comfortably by 2 adults.
2. Interior sunroof shade panel does not protect from sun and heat. Nevertheless sun shade is great during fall, spring.
3. Vehicle front sensors are too sensitive. Drive car during light snow storms few times, snow accumulates on the sensors and they start generating false alerts while vehicle is in motion. Requires to stop the car, and constantly clean sensors.
4. Weak door key fob detection sensors - by design if you have a key in your pocket, you should be able to unlock car by pulling on the door handle. Its not always a case with A5 Sportback. Car does not always detect key, and won't unlock vehicle door locks. Thus you have to physically take out key fob and press unlock button. Very annoying, and inconsistent behavior.

Features I ABSOLUTELY HATE:
1. Audi Autoplay. As Audi and Apple have progressed forward in their relationship to make your car as smart as possible, occasionally not-smart things happen. Like your vehicle blasting music (or the latest audiobook chapter) into your ears when you first get in the car. You normally connect your iphone to a car via bluetooth. As soon as you start A5, car detects a phone, and Autoplay features will start playing music or audiobooks or internet radio from iPhone through car's speakers. It will drain your cell phone data plan. Autoplay is NOT a function of the phone. The phone simply responds to command to begin playback coming from the head unit in Audi car. Autoplay is terrible feature in B9, it cant be easily disabled, and there is no fix for it available by Audi. Audi dealer stated disabling it at after market shop voids vehicles warranty. WTF!

2. Auto engine stop/start - my understanding this option was implemented to theoretically save gasoline and increase mpg. In practice, this feature will shutoff engine at all stops, short few seconds in traffic or if you are turning at the intersection, car will shutoff. It can be manually turned off by pressing a disable button, but it needs to be done everytime single time you start vehicle. Porsche has same engine auto shutoff feature, but they allow driver to program a preference into a keyfob to disable shutoff permanently. Why can't Audi implement the same personalization option?

Again this is my personal view and feedback about the A5 vehicle after 12 months of ownership.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
Yeah, I would be really interested in what you found so unusable about the A5SB - probably the first I am hearing of such negative ownership experience. Of course dealer would low ball you, they would do that for any car. When I decided get the RS5 I put my A5SB Prestige on Autotrader and sold the car within 2 days of posting the ad for $43K. The car had 14K miles on it and was a Matador Red one (supposedly red being a color no one wants).

Hi, I posted my feedback with details in the above post. Its hard to determine why I had such a hard time to find buyers for the car. It had all desirable features, popular black exterior and brown interior, and it was priced very aggressively online. Fully loaded.
My explanation would be car was too new in 2018 for the auto market, A5 model was not widely known to the general public thus not many buyers.
Perhaps people were too skeptical to purchase 3-6 months old car as by owner. I think folks who are ready to purchase new car would go to a dealer to buy, rather then take a change to purchase by owner. There is probably a bigger market for 2-3 year old cars, then for 3-6 months old car as vehicle highest depreciation is within 1st year of ownership.

Quick Reply: Prices Paid for A5 SportBack