Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Prices paid for S5 Sportback

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel like I was taken to the cleaners on the purchase of my 2018 Audi S5 Prestige, based upon claimed sales prices posted here. My S5 Sportback is Tango Red, which includes the S sport package, Driver Assistance package, Fine nappa leather interior, 19" wheel package, Carbon atlas inlays, Audi Beam Rings, All-weather floor mats, and USB cables, all for an MSRP of $67,750. After discount, sales price was $65K and change. Further disturbing, just for craps and grins I got to quotes from dealers to trade the vehicle in (another story, but let's just say I'm not very passionate about the S5). One dealer offered $55K and the other $48K. I fully well know that a vehicle depreciates once you drive it off of the dealer's lot, but almost $20K in depreciation?
Old 03-18-2018, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mid-Life Crisis
I feel like I was taken to the cleaners on the purchase of my 2018 Audi S5 Prestige, based upon claimed sales prices posted here. My S5 Sportback is Tango Red, which includes the S sport package, Driver Assistance package, Fine nappa leather interior, 19" wheel package, Carbon atlas inlays, Audi Beam Rings, All-weather floor mats, and USB cables, all for an MSRP of $67,750. After discount, sales price was $65K and change. Further disturbing, just for craps and grins I got to quotes from dealers to trade the vehicle in (another story, but let's just say I'm not very passionate about the S5). One dealer offered $55K and the other $48K. I fully well know that a vehicle depreciates once you drive it off of the dealer's lot, but almost $20K in depreciation?
I wouldn't feel too bad about the pricing. Keep in mind that there is about 6% difference between MSRP and dealer invoice on the car. So with that in mind figure the dealer made about $1,000 on a $67K asset, which really is not being taken to the cleaners. People on the internet will always say they could have done better and as you probably already know a lot of people will lie about the deal they got. As far as the depreciation, it is way too early for any dealer to put a price on the car since it is so new to the market and there is almost no data from auctions as to what the car will bring in yet. Also, as you probably already know, Audi is not exactly the king when it comes to resale value so that probably also had a factor when a non-Audi dealer was trying to put a trade in value on it.

I am sorry to hear you are not passionate on the S5. I have already had my S5 for 7 months now and I am still in awe of the car everyday. I am coming up on 8,000 miles and I still can't stop driving the car. Work is only 6 miles away, so most of those miles have been fun back country road trips with no destination in mind except the twists and turns of the road itself. I used to have a C6 Corvette and an Acura TL and to me the S5 took both cars, combined them into one and improved on both of them at the same time. You may already know, but the RS5 is just starting to hit the dealer lots now and it sounds like that might be something you are looking for if a coupe will work for you.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
I wouldn't feel too bad about the pricing. Keep in mind that there is about 6% difference between MSRP and dealer invoice on the car. So with that in mind figure the dealer made about $1,000 on a $67K asset, which really is not being taken to the cleaners. People on the internet will always say they could have done better and as you probably already know a lot of people will lie about the deal they got. As far as the depreciation, it is way too early for any dealer to put a price on the car since it is so new to the market and there is almost no data from auctions as to what the car will bring in yet. Also, as you probably already know, Audi is not exactly the king when it comes to resale value so that probably also had a factor when a non-Audi dealer was trying to put a trade in value on it.

I am sorry to hear you are not passionate on the S5. I have already had my S5 for 7 months now and I am still in awe of the car everyday. I am coming up on 8,000 miles and I still can't stop driving the car. Work is only 6 miles away, so most of those miles have been fun back country road trips with no destination in mind except the twists and turns of the road itself. I used to have a C6 Corvette and an Acura TL and to me the S5 took both cars, combined them into one and improved on both of them at the same time. You may already know, but the RS5 is just starting to hit the dealer lots now and it sounds like that might be something you are looking for if a coupe will work for you.
+1 to this. This is how you respond, with coherent, logical statements, and not snarky, opinionated responses devoid of any facts or figures, and only serve to insult someone. Anyway, I just felt in hindsight I could have paid less for my S5, at least based upon the claimed purchase price people have posted on here. But as you said, often people will lie, because they want to be the "winner" and show what a shrewd consumer they are. As for my comments about not being passionate about the S5, there is no disputing the vehicle's technological superiority, fit, finish, looks, and practicality. But it doesn't instill the same emotional response in me that my Maserati Granturismo did, Lotus Evora 400, and GT-R's. The only Audi models that might do the same are the R8 for sure, or possibly the TT-RS. But because the trade-in value for the S5 right now is so low (based upon what you already stated), I will have to hang onto the vehicle for a while. That's why I am also considering ways to improve performance and cosmetics (see separate thread). If I'm going to have to keep the vehicle, might as well make it quicker and sharper looking.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to Beverlyhill Audi days ago and the saleswoman offered me a discount of 4% on an in-stock s5. Would bring it to 10% next time talk to her based on what I see in this thread
Old 05-26-2018, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

MSRP:$67450
Paid: $61555

It was the last day of April and I went back and forth a few times to get that deal. I asked them to throw in free window tiniting ($500) at the end and they agreed. Salesman said they lost money on me. I don't know if I should believe him.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mid-Life Crisis
Hey man, if it's any consolation, I ****ed myself over during the process too. All in all got 4.5% off MSRP when I ahead of time knew that people were getting 6%+ on here for whatever reason I still decided to cuck myself.

Don't sweat it, learn from your mistakes, and be set on being highly aggressive in future negotiations if there are any.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Salesman said they lost money on me. I don't know if I should believe him.
OMG....have you ever heard of hold-back, cash to dealer, advertisement allowance, floor plan assistance ,regional marketing adjustment, target volume kick-back programs, etc....."invoice" doesn't even begin to reflect the true cost of what the dealership paid for the car. What a lame thing for the salesman to say. Sure they "lost money" on what the transaction "cost" of the car was charged to the dealership....and then kicked back thousands of dollars by the factory for numerous incentives/programs in place. Geez....it's like they don't think we know how the car industry works....

My local Audi dealership ran a sale add this weekend....ALL in-stock Audis 10% off MSRP, only excluded RS models. Currently 10% of MSRP is the going rate all over the country.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With 2 days left before month ends, I am going shopping for S5 SB Prestige. MSRP 67750. I am shooting for 10% off MSRP. Is that in the ballpark of what people are paying?
Old 07-30-2018, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sugargenius@gmail.com
With 2 days left before month ends, I am going shopping for S5 SB Prestige. MSRP 67750. I am shooting for 10% off MSRP. Is that in the ballpark of what people are paying?
Depending on where you are, 10% is a good starting point. Keep in mind that the price for the car is not just what the dealer pay for it minus all the factory incentives and kickbacks, one has to consider the overhead of running a dealership and that should be added to the price of the car.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Depending on where you are, 10% is a good starting point. Keep in mind that the price for the car is not just what the dealer pay for it minus all the factory incentives and kickbacks, one has to consider the overhead of running a dealership and that should be added to the price of the car.
I could care less what it costs the dealer to run the dealership. I only care about what is the best possible price I am paying when I buy the car. You can easily get 12% to 15% off the S5 now.

Quick Reply: Prices paid for S5 Sportback