Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

PSA: Auto Start/Stop can be controlled by the brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 03:34 PM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default PSA: Auto Start/Stop can be controlled by the brake pedal

Hey gang,

I've seen many folks complain about the inconvenience of manually turning off Auto Start/Stop (because they don't like the engine switching off when at a stop). Per the manual, the system will not switch off the engine unless sufficient brake pressure has been applied beyond the pressure required to hold the vehicle at a standstill. For example, in my normal driving, the system never switches off the engine at a stop unless I choose to depress the brake pedal hard with the intention of having the engine switched off temporarily. So, more attention to brake pressure will allow you to avoid manually disabling Auto Start/Stop during normal driving. Try it out!

Old 03-30-2019, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I can control when the engine starts once the car had come to a complete stop, but I have a hard time making the engine not stop in the first place while coming to a stop... Maybe because my pressure increases as I come to a stop. Maybe I need to try to brake harder initially and then slightly decrease the pressure as the car comes to a stop.

Last edited by luder888; 03-30-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Yep, it was pleasant to find out not to worry about turning it off every time.

I actually had more trouble modulating the brake pressure and not having the engine turn off with the Q5 and Q7. The Q7 would actually turn off as I was coming to a stop around 2 mph, not while I was stopped, and it felt like I was just learning how to drive because it would jerk the whole vehicle.

The only time I hit my start/stop button now is when I know I will be doing a quick stop to get out because then it would put the car into accessory mode.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:14 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I still find it easier to just press the *** button as my finger leaves the Start / Stop engine button. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing.

— John
Old 03-30-2019, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I still find it easier to just press the *** button as my finger leaves the Start / Stop engine button. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing.

— John
Even easier to just rock back the gear shifter twice...don’t have to worry about over “pronating” the pointer finger! all kidding aside, recently I have left the car in dynamic / drive, when getting out of the ‘hood so the s/s engages at long wait times / lights. Then I go back into dynamic / sport when further out.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its hit or miss trying to stop with light brake pressure and not having the car shut off. I use this feature when I need quick accelaration, lighten up the brake pressure to start the engine while I am at a stop.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I’m having trouble controlling the brake pressure. I just posted this in a new thread “When I used to have my 2018 A5 SB, when I didn’t brake too hard, you could feel the first level of depressing on the brake pedal (not all the way down), so you wouldn’t trigger the Auto Start/Stop function to turn the engine off. Now with my 2019 S5 SB, it is pretty impossible to do that. I noticed that when the car is slowing down to 1-2 miles, it just shuts the engine off (see the green Auto Start/Stop icon pops up in VC) and would make this jerky stop. I feel that I don’t have the same braking control to avoid triggering the Auto Start/Stop function. I know I can disable it completely by pressing the button under the climate control, but I do like to use it sometimes depending on where the traffic lights are or traffic flow. I used to be able to do that with my A5. How come it doesn’t work so well in S5?”
Old 01-08-2020, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by stwus
I’m having trouble controlling the brake pressure. I just posted this in a new thread “When I used to have my 2018 A5 SB, when I didn’t brake too hard, you could feel the first level of depressing on the brake pedal (not all the way down), so you wouldn’t trigger the Auto Start/Stop function to turn the engine off. Now with my 2019 S5 SB, it is pretty impossible to do that. I noticed that when the car is slowing down to 1-2 miles, it just shuts the engine off (see the green Auto Start/Stop icon pops up in VC) and would make this jerky stop. I feel that I don’t have the same braking control to avoid triggering the Auto Start/Stop function. I know I can disable it completely by pressing the button under the climate control, but I do like to use it sometimes depending on where the traffic lights are or traffic flow. I used to be able to do that with my A5. How come it doesn’t work so well in S5?”
Agree 100% on this. From the almost 2 years of ownership I still haven't mastered preventing the engine from stopping itself while stopping. One method I found that works with higher probability is to brake the car to about 5 mph and then decrease the pedal pressure until the car stops. It seems that if you maintain the same pressure or if you increase the pressure going into a stop, the engine will always stop. You have to decrease the pressure as you're coming to a stop in order to avoid it from stopping. It is definitely very hard to do but can be done.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I just used OBDEleven to cancel the *** function completely, but the A/C needs to be on which is not a problem since I always leave the A/C on. IMO, Audi should have set the default setting to off, and for those who want it on, they can enable it with the button.
The following 2 users liked this post by eman006:
garberfc (01-08-2020), Nikon1 (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 07:12 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by eman006
I just used OBDEleven to cancel the *** function completely, but the A/C needs to be on which is not a problem since I always leave the A/C on. IMO, Audi should have set the default setting to off, and for those who want it on, they can enable it with the button.
But that screws with Audi’s Overall Gas Efficiency rates and causes them problems.

— John

Quick Reply: PSA: Auto Start/Stop can be controlled by the brake pedal