Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Question to A5/S5 Sportback Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question to A5/S5 Sportback Owners

Hello Audi World. Been reading helpful posts here for a while now and seen some amazing cars from members.

My lease on a 2013 Toyota is coming to an end on a and looking for the next car. Wanted to get a luxury car for the first time and been researching for 6 months. Narrowed my next car options to Audi a5/s5 sb. Chose this car because it has the perfect balance of performance, interior & exterior design over its competitors. Had the opportunity to test drive both ‘18 a5 prestige sb and s5 premium plus sb (used) and fell in love with both. Maybe because I’m coming from a Toyota. Only feauture I need for sure is the virtual cockpit. Things like B&O audio and lighting is very nice but not a necessity.

I am looking to go for the used/cpo route over lease since I drive over 2000 miles per month. Recently, both the ‘18 a5 and s5 sb cpo options became available at the dealership near me. The a5 is listed for 40k and s5 for 56k. I am financially comfortable to own the cars but is the s5 really worth 16k over the a5? There seem to be minor exterior and interior differences. Major difference for me would be the V6 on the s5.

Question to A5 SB owners: Why did you choose A5 over S5? Did come across some posts on other forums that people regret getting the A5 over S5.

Question to S5 SB owners: Any regrets with your purchase? Is the S5 worth 10~20k more than the A5?

Apologize for the long post. Will appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ytr1235
I am financially comfortable to own the cars but is the s5 really worth 16k over the a5?
Ultimately, only you can decide if an S5 is worth it vs an A5. Everyone that already owns an S5 or A5 is likely of the opinion that is was or wasn't (based on their purchase), so there clearly isn't a right or wrong answer. Same goes for those who chose the RS5...

Like yourself, this is my 1st "luxury" car. Between research and talking with a few work acquaintances that owned Audi's, I ended up selecting the S5. I never really did a direct comparison of A5 options / price vs S5 options / price. For me, I wanted the performance of the 3.0T and the rest is history.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

In Australia, optioning up an A5 to the same level as a well optioned S5 narrows the price difference to the point where the S5 became the "sensible" choice for me.

Otherwise, I might have gone for the A5 as I was coming from a BMW 428i that always seemed to have adequate power and there seemed no valid reason to get the bigger engine.

However, I'm very glad it went that way as I LOVE the effortless power and the engine/exhaust note of the S5 as well as the nappa leather on the seats. I look forward to every drive and the car feels special in a way that the A5 might not have, despite some possibly valid opinions that it is the better-balanced of the two cars.

If in doubt and you can comfortably afford either, I'd firmly recommend the S5, based on my (admittedly subjective) personal experience. "Adequate" power is fine, but the extra power of the S5 is adddictive, especially when it is combined with a superb Quattro chassis so it never becomes an embarrassment or liability.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

to OP, my impression of your post is that you really want to buy the A5 for financial reasons and you are trying to justify the extra cost for the S5. My advice is to buy the A5, it is a very serious upgrade form your Toyota. As far as the difference between the A5 and S5: you already know about the engine, the transmission is also different, the S5 has one of the best sport seats, adaptive suspension available on S5, optional carbon fiber trims, high performance brakes and sport rear differential. Looking at your pricing, depending on your location, you can buy a brand new S5 for $56K. The A5 seems like a better buy at $40000, depending on the options of course.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony M
I look forward to every drive and the car feels special...
Sums it up for me.

If you.," fell in love with both." I see no reason to spend the extra money for the S5. Although the A5 is a great car, it did not check all of the boxes for me and I gladly paid the premium to get what I wanted.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Richr
Sums it up for me.

If you.," fell in love with both." I see no reason to spend the extra money for the S5. Although the A5 is a great car, it did not check all of the boxes for me and I gladly paid the premium to get what I wanted.
Or you may end up with upgrade-itis like me....

Started with the A6.
I was fortunate enough to be able to add an SQ5. Have the sportiness I want now in an SUV/crossover, but want to take the car up to another level.
Hopefully soon I will be able to replace the A6 with an RS5.

Once I drank the Kool-aid, it seems I just can't get enough of it! Upgrade-itis is in full swing!
Old 01-07-2019, 05:29 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Richr
Sums it up for me.

X2. I never even considered the A5 once I saw that it was a 4 cylinder. I’m sure it’s a very good and reliable engine — but #1 on my list of features was a V6 to get great horsepower and torque.

I commend you you for doing your research and polling Audi owners. I’ve had my S5 for 7 months and it’s still a bright spot in my day when I back the S5 out of the garage, with the exhaust “burbling” and head out.

As the Grail Knight said to Indiana Jones, “. . . Choose wisely . . .”

Good Luck — And Welcome to AudiWorld.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

I have a5SB Prestige. My suggestion - drive both A5 and S5, consider your driving habits, areas you drive i.e congested or less congested roads, whether gasoline cost and , insurance costs are important, then make an informed decision. I considered all those and came to the conclusion the A5 fits my mission best.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you dont opt in for The B&O sound system than what comes standard in these card?
a walmart brand?
Old 01-07-2019, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

X2. I never even considered the A5 once I saw that it was a 4 cylinder. I’m sure it’s a very good and reliable engine — but #1 on my list of features was a V6 to get great horsepower and torque.

I commend you you for doing your research and polling Audi owners. I’ve had my S5 for 7 months and it’s still a bright spot in my day when I back the S5 out of the garage, with the exhaust “burbling” and head out.

As the Grail Knight said to Indiana Jones, “. . . Choose wisely . . .”

Good Luck — And Welcome to AudiWorld.
Back out??? Say it ain’t so! Audi should back into garages/spaces and show the world the beautiful RS style grille you put on. Kidding — my wife and everyone always gives me a hard time about backing-in everywhere. I just don’t like to defer work / having to slowly back out in fear of hitting something or then hitting me 😀

Quick Reply: Question to A5/S5 Sportback Owners