Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Question regarding negotiating for new A/S 5 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

When I bought my A5 Sportback last year, I posted my exact config somewhere between Premium and Prestige on True Car, that was around July. There none available at that time anywhere along the East Coast. Dealers that contacted me trying sell something else I told the I will wait. Finally a dealer contacted me end of September with a Prestige that had everything plus additional options. I told the sales person it was more than I what I would pay. The dealer manger contacted me with a lower offer - I countered with the out the door price that included tax and tags that was $500 less True Car recommended price for my config, minus the extra options above the Prestige. They accepted. I think it ended up around a 13% discount and less than my exact config if I factory ordered it It was September the end of the month and end of quarter, the dealer had to meet sales target. The dealer is part of the Auto Nation chain. Thy had to get the car from their NoVA franchise.

Last edited by 18A5SB; 08-08-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I don't see how you can not count the free Audi care and extended warranty as a discount to the car. They are actually cost to the dealer, that money has to come from somewhere. First thing you need to do is decide on a car and trim, it doesn't even seem like you have done that yet. then look for inventory with color and option you like, dealer will give deeper discount on cars on their lot. You can try financing and then pay it off early, but I would just offer cash to skip the hassle. Keep in mind that some auto loan has a early pay off penalty.
For both A and S I would do prestige, navigation, assist, warm and cold weather packages. But those are the minimum. The other stuff are nice to have. i will then try to find the "best match" on what they have there.

I am not sure if S is needed. It is definitely more and has more HP but i am not sure i need that. For reference, i am driving 2003 acura TL-Stype. It is 6 cylinders. BUT its so long ago i guess even the 4 cylinder A will beat it? If it does then i think i am OK with speed. Then we come down to other amenities from S, none of which i NEED to have.. I forget if the interior layout is the same or not.. I think they are mostly the same (minus any S specific optional packages?)
Old 08-07-2018, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

This forum needs new members -- it needs new members constantly. However, it certainly seems it might be helpful to new members to delve into the tone and tenor of many, perhaps most, of the posts and those who post. It seems, increasingly (and this certainly is a sign of an improved economy with folks having money for new Premium Cars) that the posts are far more pecuniary than I can remember in the time I've been participating here. Audiworld is far more than a place to "get the best deal" and be gone. This site is for Audi aficionado's -- of course not exclusively that, but this site seems to be for "the love of Audi" as a brand, even if part of being an enthusiast is providing critiques and sometimes outright criticisms.

No matter what one person (say, for instance, "you") pay for your new Audi, there will be, there ALWAYS will be someone who tells you about a better price (perhaps a price they personally got). It seems to me, largely, a fool's errand to spend too many cycles on the discount available unless several people almost simultaneously are working on a transaction, well, practically in the same zip code.

A dealer rep's personal discount on his own Audi for his own use is 15%. Some of these cars -- especially upon introduction -- sell for MSRP (and if that is an issue, my advice: wait a few months, the price typically is "better" after the "new to the market" period has died down). Some of the cars, such as the RS's may be discounted by $1,000 period -- supply and demand kind of thing. More "pedestrian" Audis, even, I'm not too happy to report, like my prestige S4 are (because they are sedans) discounted more heavily. Even still, if you get some "fantastic" deal, someone here will make you feel like a boob because he or she got an even better deal than you.

If you need a new Audi -- this week -- you might just have to pay more or take something you don't want, exactly. The thing is, Audi reps (and dealers) are used to placing cars on order for prospective (and return) customers. One of my Audis, a 1997 A8, took about a year to arrive -- I had to have it in Pearl White (what is now called an Audi Exclusive color). During my wait, Audi sent me a VHS (remember them) videotape of A8's coming down the assembly line in Neckarsulm along with a $200 Nordstrom prepaid credit card and a solid silver Audi A8 keychain for my "patience." The point is, order the car get exactly what you want, don't settle. The good news is the ordered cars generally are discounted more because there is almost no "floorplan" money (aka holding cost) involved. So, unless you MUST have a new Audi, today, make yourself twice as happy by ordering the car. It's like getting a new car twice. First time is when you order it, second time is when you take delivery. This is the car equivalent of win-win.

Let's talk features, benefits, color schemes options, tires, wheels, future vehicles, reliability and durability -- meantime, just make the best deal you can. If you're happy with the purchase, who cares if MRAUDIOOO paid $500 less than you?

Now, if we all really want to get together for the express purpose of "dealing" -- we need to pool our funds and buy about 25 to 50 new cars simultaneously and see what kind of deal we can cobble together. Otherwise the dealer will win -- which is, truth be told, what you want. The dealer should make a profit.

Here's a rule of thumb, don't buy -- ever -- from a dealer that places ADM (additional dealer markup) on an Audi. That is crazy and it is, uh, avaricious to the max.

If you're new to this site, please lurk for a while, get into some of the discussion threads -- and look beyond "your" particular car to see the "tone and tenor" as well as the content oft discussed here.

I'd say using "us" to get you your best deal is pretty much a crap shoot -- since "Bob" (or someone) will always tell you after the fact that he/she coulda got a better deal.

I remain: Often wrong and never uncertain.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by shaselai
For both A and S I would do prestige, navigation, assist, warm and cold weather packages. But those are the minimum. The other stuff are nice to have. i will then try to find the "best match" on what they have there.

I am not sure if S is needed. It is definitely more and has more HP but i am not sure i need that. For reference, i am driving 2003 acura TL-Stype. It is 6 cylinders. BUT its so long ago i guess even the 4 cylinder A will beat it? If it does then i think i am OK with speed. Then we come down to other amenities from S, none of which i NEED to have.. I forget if the interior layout is the same or not.. I think they are mostly the same (minus any S specific optional packages?)
No one "needs" an Audi.

If you're seriously looking at one, you're probably in the top 5% of "consumers" and you're buying one of these vehicles strictly because you WANT one. Also, I am not advocating going for a vehicle that is above a price you are willing (not the same as "able") to pay, but if you're looking at an Audi coupe and don't seriously consider an "S" version, I would request that you "get as much behind the wheel time" as the dealership will allow. It is not uncommon to be allowed to take a car out for at least a 24-hour test drive. Drive it to work, run errands in it, use it like it is yours. The "S" cars, based on the apparent length of time you may be keeping your cars are a very small amount more $ for a huge improvement in performance and luxury.

And, if you don't think you need an A5, you REALLY don't need an S5. Of course, if you're going to keep the car 15 years, why not go for an RS5 and grin from ear to ear for at least the next 14?

No one -- other than me, of course -- "needs" an Audi.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:49 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
That is crazy and it is, uh, avaricious to the max.
av·a·ri·cious

A new word for my vocabulary, thx!

Old 08-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
No one "needs" an Audi.

If you're seriously looking at one, you're probably in the top 5% of "consumers" and you're buying one of these vehicles strictly because you WANT one. Also, I am not advocating going for a vehicle that is above a price you are willing (not the same as "able") to pay, but if you're looking at an Audi coupe and don't seriously consider an "S" version, I would request that you "get as much behind the wheel time" as the dealership will allow. It is not uncommon to be allowed to take a car out for at least a 24-hour test drive. Drive it to work, run errands in it, use it like it is yours. The "S" cars, based on the apparent length of time you may be keeping your cars are a very small amount more $ for a huge improvement in performance and luxury.

And, if you don't think you need an A5, you REALLY don't need an S5. Of course, if you're going to keep the car 15 years, why not go for an RS5 and grin from ear to ear for at least the next 14?

No one -- other than me, of course -- "needs" an Audi.

Its hard to define i guess? To be honest my search less than a month ago started with "Need a car in ~3 months". Then through research, requirement gathering and documentation, i filtered down to a select few to test drive (Giuli, A5,S5,stinger,g70, rdx(oddball here lol),E,bmw5). Then i filtered further and now its really down to A5/S5, g70(TBD), stinger. I am never really a brand loyal guy in cars - ford, honda, acura. I think Audi just fell in place through process of elimination. Stinger might get the Ax because of ambiguous branding. G70 is wild card here but i know for sure if I can get a great deal on A5 loaded to what i want and the difference between that and the g70 is not much i am definitely going for the brand.

Now i think getting a good deal for the A5 might be tough - i did do a search and there arent many prestige A5s (maybe 2?) and only a handful of S5s but they are 65ish. unless i get 55k out the door on an S with the free audi care, select, platinum i dont think i am going for that, especially i dont need it - but i dont back down from a great/superb deal. I know this deal sounds absurd and it is, thats why it's not gonna happen and if it did i will jump on it even though i dont *need* an S5

But A5 i do like very much, and if it beats out G70 and i still need a car.... would that mean i need an Audi?

BTW, if i send "feeler" emails to dealers, can i offer to different cars like one for A one for S to feel out the deals or thats frowned upon?

Old 08-07-2018, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I can only observe that few members on this forum can change oil, spark plugs, CVJ boots and probably barely a tire. Last decent DIY forum was the C5 A6 (Gosh, i miss that 4.2...)
Old 08-07-2018, 02:23 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I can only observe that few members on this forum can change oil, spark plugs, CVJ boots and probably barely a tire. Last decent DIY forum was the C5 A6 (Gosh, i miss that 4.2...)

Not sure about the validity of your observation — Having the ability and wanting to do the tasks you’ve outlined are 2 completely different things.

I can completely rebuild most internal combustion engines but do I have the desire? Not. At. All! I would rather pay to have it done!

Old 08-07-2018, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
What an absolutely dickish statement, totally unrelated to the topic....

Hilarious too because your air of superiority is coming from tasks that anyone with two hands and a functioning nervous system could complete.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shaselai

Around here, prestige are very hard to find. You may want to start with a search for a prestige online first. Some nice options not on your list are s sport package, which includes an adjustable suspension and sport rear differential which really helps in handling. Upgrade audio system is also a must, the standard system is pretty bad, also carbon fiber trims are very nice. The A5 will be faster and handle better than your 2003 TL.

Quick Reply: Question regarding negotiating for new A/S 5 purchase