Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Rattle coming from driver side seat belt possibly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Rattle coming from driver side seat belt possibly?

New rattle came in today and sounds to be directly besides me and i think it might be the seat belt. Anyone have this issue? It keeps cracking every time i go through bumps. I will upload a video later with the sounds.
edit: https://vimeo.com/328081343?ref=em-share

Last edited by IvanLZ; 04-02-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I had a seat belt related rattle, but I isolated it to the buckle receiver. It made a rattling noise when going over road with rough texture. Dealer replaced the receiver and rattle is gone...
Old 04-03-2019, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Pretty sure its not that. I can hear the sound right next to my left ear.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the same noise but only sometimes. I haven't had time to take it in as of yet.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
I have the same noise but only sometimes. I haven't had time to take it in as of yet.
this is what’s most weird... morning drive yesterday had noise, afternoon no noise, night drive have noise and now today drove in the morning NO NOISE. Am i going insane? Lol
Old 04-03-2019, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same rattle, right by my ear. More of a clicking sound. For me, it turned out to be from the seatbelt height adjuster mechanism. In the lowest position it would rattle 90% of the time. All I did was move it up one position (to what seems to be the middle) and wiggled it around a bit. Rattle gone. I’ll move it back to the lowest position before my next service so I can have Audi fix it for good.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sirluca7
I had the same rattle, right by my ear. More of a clicking sound. For me, it turned out to be from the seatbelt height adjuster mechanism. In the lowest position it would rattle 90% of the time. All I did was move it up one position (to what seems to be the middle) and wiggled it around a bit. Rattle gone. I’ll move it back to the lowest position before my next service so I can have Audi fix it for good.
Have the same thing, position of the adjustment mechanism didn't affect the noise on mine, I had the dealer take a look and they reset the trim, but to no avail, so wouldn't get my hopes up. I put some tesa (felt) tape right under the slider which seemed to help a bit, but most likely need to take it apart and take care of the interior as well. Just part of the many random rattles and squeaks that this car has, not as bad as my prior mustang, but at almost double the price, it is very disappointing.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A5Newbie
Have the same thing, position of the adjustment mechanism didn't affect the noise on mine, I had the dealer take a look and they reset the trim, but to no avail, so wouldn't get my hopes up. I put some tesa (felt) tape right under the slider which seemed to help a bit, but most likely need to take it apart and take care of the interior as well. Just part of the many random rattles and squeaks that this car has, not as bad as my prior mustang, but at almost double the price, it is very disappointing.
it is crazy the amount of rattles that show up. This morning there was a strange vibration rattle like coins hitting each other coming from the trim below the climate control system. I know this because i pushed the trim a bit and it completely stopped the sound but when i get my hands off then it will continue to rattle. Again this is a rattle that happens sometimes not all the time.

Anyways if the rattle shows up again i will try putting felt tape like you suggested and see if it eliminates the issue.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

If you've got the extra money and want to save yourself time and anxiety with the dealership, visit an audio shop. I had taken my car in at least 5 times to deal with rattles, and each time they either failed to fix it, or introduced a new rattle by their attempted fix. The only rattles the dealer was able to fix was buzzing from the dashboard speaker cover, but they introduced a new rattle in the process because they broke a clip off somewhere that you could then hear roll around inside the dash. They tried numerous times to fix passenger/driver speaker rattles and couldn't, as well as a constant ticking sound coming from the right rear passenger area.

Took it to an audio shop, paid $400, and they lined the passenger door with dynamat, tied down all the cables, felted the plastic trim near the handle, and lined the subwoofer area in the trunk. That fixed all the rattles except the ticking one, which they identified as coming from the seatbelt area in the rear..

Yeah, not a fan of the rattles in this car, very disappointing, and more disappointed in the dealer's lazy approach to fixing them.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd rather diagnose the rattle myself and fix it myself if I can. It's usually a process of elimination. For example you remove some covers, go for a test drive. Or you put some painter's tape on a suspect, and go for a test drive, etc. and see if the noise goes away. I have the Erwin manual and I followed the instructions and took out the speaker trims on the doors and applied felt tape to them and also around the LED light tubes. In the process I also discovered my dealer broke a connector clip during their last attempt to "fix" it so the connector was just dangling inside the speaker housing causing other rattles. So I had to fix their mistakes, but that's another story.

I agree that taking your car to the dealer to fix a rattle is a bad idea as they are more likely to break something else or introduce another rattle because they are clueless about how to take things apart and put them back together. The only exception is if you've identified the rattle yourself and it involves a part that they can replace, then I'd try to convince them to replace that part under warranty, because I'm not going to pay out of pocket for it.

When Phoenix summer comes all the rattles will come back from hibernation. Not really looking forward to it.

Last edited by luder888; 04-03-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Rattle coming from driver side seat belt possibly?