Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Rattling on the right side when driven on rough surfaces

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Rattling on the right side when driven on rough surfaces

There's this very distinct rattling on the right side of the car when driven over rough surfaces. Sounds like it's coming from one of the right side door panels. Anyone has this same issue and found a solution? I will not bring it to the dealer for this as they tend to make things worse.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

I have noticed that too in my S5 SB. The only solution, though temporary, is to pull the panel inwards with the panel opening towards the bottom.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I was having the same problem. Took it to the dealer and they said it was something in the B&O speaker housing causing it. They (Wilsonville Audi) replaced both sides. That fixed it.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

For me it was the matte black panel that houses the locking switch and memory seat buttons. Replaced this and the rattle went away.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure it isn't the passenger seat belt. Mine rattles all the time if no one is in the seat because the buckle hits the hard plastic of the sport seats. Move the plastic peice on the belt(not sure what they call it) up to move the buckle up away from the seat to see if that fixes it.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

I will mention all the above to the dealer when I go. I know it is not the seat belt because it was the first piece I adjusted when the noise started.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Same problem here. Sounds like one of the right doors, though not sure.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Same problem here. Took it to the dealer, they foam lined the interior door panel. Didn't fix the problem unfortunately.

Thanks for the tip of replacing panels, or replacing speaker housing. I'll be taking it back soon
Old 11-21-2018, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I removed all four of the B&O speaker trims in the doors (while also discovering something else that my beloved dealer broke and swept it under the rug) and went for a test drive on this rough patch of road near my house. The rattling was still there. I started to reach around everything I could get my hands on and turned out the culprit is the passenger seat belt buckle RECEIVER. I thought it was just the way every buckle is. So after I parked in my garage I started to play with the driver side buckle receiver, and it didn't make this noise.

How much work do you think it's involved with replacing the buckle receiver? Do they have to take the entire seat off? I hate my current dealer and if I were to get this fixed I'll probably go to a different dealer. Still I would like to know if it's too invasive of a fix:
Old 11-22-2018, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My right side rattle, was the passenger seat belt hitting against the front seat, solution was to push the plastic slide up so the seat belt buckle is up against the side pillar.

Quick Reply: Rattling on the right side when driven on rough surfaces