Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Red interior owners! How do you keep your leather looking good

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 04:08 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

That may work but here in New Jersey the inspection stations are run by state employees who don’t really care too much about anything but “git ‘r done” speed. The inspection stickers are almost impossible to remove — they’re thin, scored paper — without destroying them. These state workers just get in the car with their razor blades and scrape with great abandon!

I’ll get down to the tint guys and see what they can do based on the suggestions you guys have made. Thank you!

— John
Old 04-09-2019, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

I saw a product called ExoShield which looks to be basically PPF for your windshield. It says it block 99.9% of UV and since it's applied on the exterior of the windshield, your inspection stickers shouldn't be an issue. The main con looks to me to be scratching of the film with wipers if things are dirty / not maintained.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
That may work but here in New Jersey the inspection stations are run by state employees who don’t really care too much about anything but “git ‘r done” speed. The inspection stickers are almost impossible to remove — they’re thin, scored paper — without destroying them. These state workers just get in the car with their razor blades and scrape with great abandon!

I’ll get down to the tint guys and see what they can do based on the suggestions you guys have made. Thank you!

— John
Are you not allowed to remove and apply your own stickers? The cling vinyl allows you to remove the stickers with your hand and reapply them - no hassle.

If you're wondering what they look like, take a look at "Sticker Shield" on YouTube/Amazon.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Daaavid

If you're wondering what they look like, take a look at "Sticker Shield" on YouTube/Amazon.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be doing this in 1.5 years when my registration sticker is due! Seems like it'll work out great and thank goodness we only have 1 sticker now vs. 2. It would be useful for the TollTag sticker too, bu I'm still running with the box and used black electrical tape to cover it/put it on my dash, behind the MMI display.

Originally Posted by Daaavid
I have my front windshield tinted with 50% SunTek CIR. I had 80% done on my previous vehicle, it works great but it is not a substitute for a sunshade. I can't feel the sun even when it is directly overhead or beaming over me; compared to my sunroof which isn't tinted (factory privacy glass does not have any IR/TSER or heat rejection), it's a considerable difference when driving.
You haven't had any inspection issues with the 50% on the windshield? I was a "little" concern with that, so I went with the 75% - and on the few warm days we've had in Dallas, where I parked outside it hasn't been blazing hot on the inside. July/August will be the real test though, as you know! The only thing about a sunscreen that I dislike is having to store it. It's a PITA to roll-up and looks bad sitting in the backseat, to me.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be doing this in 1.5 years when my registration sticker is due! Seems like it'll work out great and thank goodness we only have 1 sticker now vs. 2. It would be useful for the TollTag sticker too, bu I'm still running with the box and used black electrical tape to cover it/put it on my dash, behind the MMI display.

You haven't had any inspection issues with the 50% on the windshield? I was a "little" concern with that, so I went with the 75% - and on the few warm days we've had in Dallas, where I parked outside it hasn't been blazing hot on the inside. July/August will be the real test though, as you know! The only thing about a sunscreen that I dislike is having to store it. It's a PITA to roll-up and looks bad sitting in the backseat, to me.
YMMV and knock on the wood, but I've had no issues with 50% in Houston. No issues with 80% at all. I have a couple of friends in HPD and I personally asked them about it and it's not something they look for. The federal requirement is the front glass cannot measure below 70% VLT. You're more likely to run into trouble with not having a front plate than windshield tint.

Realistically, all front windshields have a 75-78% natural tint. So even with your 75% tint on the windshield, it is not legal per se as your windshield will measure below the 70% federal limit if a State Trooper pulls you over; I've heard it happen. Also, anyone with polarized sunglasses (e.g. most LEO) can spot a tinted windshield regardless of darkness a mile away because it looks like rainbows.

Taking that into account, 75% minimum VLT combined with 50% tint will net you 35-40% and another reason why I just said "live once." The windshield is dark, but you can still see into the vehicle up to the end of the dashboard before the steering wheel. I do have my sunroof sunshade pulled back all the time. In overcast weather, it's impossible to see into the vehicle with the cloud glare. It's exactly what I wanted and I've had seen much darker. If you've seen a newer model S-Class or Range Rover with the metallic tinted windshields embedded into the glass, it has a similar sheen and is slightly more dark.

Here's a photo of my 50% in overcast weather with 35-ish% (dealer applied) on the sides:

Old 04-09-2019, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was also having a problem with dye transfer onto my beige leather seats. I plan to have the seats professionally coated for protection, but until then I have been using Chemical Guys Leather Protectant Serum, which so far has been working great.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

10,000 miles on mine and other then some shine and creases from breaking in they look new. I’ve been using Adams polishes interior detailer for a mild clean every couple weeks. Use Adams leather cleaner for a deep clean followed by Adams leather conditioner every 2-3 months. There are a few stiffer sections of the leather I pay extra attention to knowing these locations (as well as bolster edges) will be prone to cracking.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

12 months and 10,000 k's and, apart from a few minor bolster creases that were there from day one, mine look like new. Interior gets cleaned every few months and not much more than a vacuum. And I wear jeans 90+ % of the time.* I won't have any hesitation using a premium leather cleaner/conditioner the instant the seats depart from their current pristine appearance. I am OCD about car seats and it amazes me how fuss-free that beautiful nappa leather is in practice.

*Funny how this used to be a teen thing - now it seems to be the old codgers that live in blue denim. The thing I like about it is I don't have to think further than dark, medium or light, depending on the shirt/top. And, if I can't be bothered thinking that much, medium is fine.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well whats the best leather cleaner to remove the stains from the jeans once every month or 2 without ruining the red leather and keeping it healthy
Old 04-13-2019, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tonysaudi
Well whats the best leather cleaner to remove the stains from the jeans once every month or 2 without ruining the red leather and keeping it healthy
Literally mild soapy water.

Modern automotive leathers are heavily sealed and treated at the factory.

IMO you guys are greatly overthinking this (non-) issue. I'm 27,000 miles and 2 years into ownership and my red nappa sport seats still look like the day I bought them, save for some creasing on the bolster from lazily getting in and out (not much way around it with seats that are designed this aggressively).

Quick Reply: Red interior owners! How do you keep your leather looking good