Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Ridiculous Dealer Fees?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doone
I'd be interested in hearing what fees you get charged after you pick it up.
Still not there, but got it sorted out today, it will be $193 for title and tag, which I believe it just passing their fees onto me. And $150 processing fee, which I believe is reasonable.

Of course they tried to sell me on all of the extras, I declined all but Audi Care (which I believe is very low margin for them), but they weren't really that pushy about it.

Last edited by rocko76; 07-20-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocko76
Still not there, but got it sorted out today, it will be $193 for title and tag, which I believe it just passing their fees onto me. And $150 processing fee, which I believe is reasonable.

Of course they tried to sell me on all of the extras, I declined all but Audi Care (which I believe is very low margin for them), but they weren't really that pushy about it.
Thanks Rocko. Enjoy your new car! Great to hear nothing unusual. I'm thinking AudiCare is a good buy too. I do wonder what other extras they try to sell besides an extended warranty. For that matter, I wonder what the extended warranty runs from Audi.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 3cat
When we closed on our S5 I was aware of most of the fees except for one, It was some sort of security fee for around $500. The explanation I was given is that Audi installs some sort of device in the door panel for tracing the car in the event it is stolen. Basically a serial number. I was on the verge of loosing my **** right there in the closing office. Looked at my wife and she said it wasn't worth the fight. So basically I let them stick it to me for $500. Not to mention the damage that was done to my car by the transporter.
He sat up late thinking up that whopper.

I just paid $485 today to spay the local feral cat so we don't have to chase down another litter of kittens to take to the humane society. Pls have dealer send me a check.

.....and you know I'm just kidding. Yes, there are times when it's just not worth it to continue a negotiation....
Old 07-20-2017, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doone
Thanks Rocko. Enjoy your new car! Great to hear nothing unusual. I'm thinking AudiCare is a good buy too. I do wonder what other extras they try to sell besides an extended warranty. For that matter, I wonder what the extended warranty runs from Audi.
This is what I was quoted:

Audi has a couple of different levels, it wasn't expressed here, but based on verbally it seems like it could be the "Platinum". Granted, I knew I wasn't interested (mathematically, they work out against the customer and are a large money-maker for the dealership) so I wasn't paying that much attention.

Extended service agreement:
7yr/80K - $3522
6yr/100K - $3996
6yrs/75K - $2993
5yrs/100K - $3577
5yrs/75K - $2975

Paintless dent removal:
6yr - $799

Tire & wheel:
4yr - $1103
5yr - $1246
6yr - $1432

I also believe that you can elect to go with the extended warranty any time during your original warranty period and that any audi dealership can sell you one, even remotely.

They also tried to sell a $1300 paint protection package. I do plan on getting opticoat plus pro (for about the same), but they couldn't even disclose the product. However, spec sheet said it needed to be re-applied twice a year, which sounds an awful lot like waxing to me...
Old 07-20-2017, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi has a couple of different levels, it wasn't expressed here, but based on verbally it seems like it could be the "Platinum". Granted, I knew I wasn't interested (mathematically, they work out against the customer and are a large money-maker for the dealership) so I wasn't paying that much attention.

7yr/80K - $3522
6yr/100K - $3996
6yrs/75K - $2993
5yrs/100K - $3577
5yrs/75K - $2975

Paintless dent removal:
6yr - $799

Tire & wheel:
4yr - $1103
5yr - $1246
6yr - $1432

I also believe that you can elect to go with the extended warranty any time during your original warranty period and that any audi dealership can sell you one, even remotely.

They also tried to sell a $1300 paint protection package. I do plan on getting opticoat plus pro (for about the same), but they couldn't even disclose the product. However, spec sheet said it needed to be re-applied twice a year, which sounds an awful lot like waxing to me...
Wow, I guess Audi's command a premium on warranties. Pass. My salesman mentioned the tire protection, but with 18" wheels I'll self insure. After reading about Opticoat here, I'm thinking about using Taurus. Look forward to hearing your experience with it.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by 3cat
When we closed on our S5 I was aware of most of the fees except for one, It was some sort of security fee for around $500. The explanation I was given is that Audi installs some sort of device in the door panel for tracing the car in the event it is stolen. Basically a serial number. I was on the verge of loosing my **** right there in the closing office. Looked at my wife and she said it wasn't worth the fight. So basically I let them stick it to me for $500. Not to mention the damage that was done to my car by the transporter.
It's dealer installed, not Audi installed. They love it because it costs nothing to install so it has huge margins.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1. The dealer should not have forced the installation of this insurance plan on you and your .
car. They can try and sell it to you but not install it without permission and charge you for it,
Old 07-21-2017, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
+1. The dealer should not have forced the installation of this insurance plan on you and your .
car. They can try and sell it to you but not install it without permission and charge you for it,

I agree, particularly since there was no mention of it before closing. I was never asked if I wanted it.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
I am so glad for this forum. Now I know to be on the lookout for the ridiculous security tag on the door for $500.If they want to install one then good for them but I didn't ask for it and refuse to have it shoved down my throat.
If it wasn't listed on my agreement then it is optional for me.
They know you have been waiting for the car and excited to leave.
That's when they try to slip all kinds of nonsense for signature.
I do not need Audi to change my oil.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

7yr/80K - $3522
6yr/100K - $3996
6yrs/75K - $2993
5yrs/100K - $3577
5yrs/75K - $2975

Paintless dent removal:
6yr - $799

Tire & wheel:
4yr - $1103
5yr - $1246
6yr - $1432

Yes, you can wait right up to the day your factory warranty expires before getting an extended warranty. Even my local Audi dealer advised it wasn't worth it. If you haven't had any significant problems in 4 years and have maintained your Audi properly, chances are you will not encounter any major problems unless you start abusing it.

Quick Reply: Ridiculous Dealer Fees?