Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Round vs Flat-bottom Steering Wheel

Old 08-18-2017, 06:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Round vs Flat-bottom Steering Wheel

Dealership close-by just got in the exact car I have been looking for, except that it has the cold weather package. I have not had a chance to stop in to see it, as I have been communicating with the dealerships by email. For those of you with the Cold Weather Pckg, how do you like the round wheel? Does it detract from the steering feel or "sportiness" of the car? Thoughts from either side are appreciated.

My 2014 S4 had the flat-bottom wheel which I thoroughly enjoyed. However, I am driving an M4 for the interim period until I finalize a purchase on an S5 SB, and I must admit that I have enjoyed the round steering wheel in the car much more than expected. It helps with price negotiation if the car is on the lot, so I'm excited to hear you all's thoughts!
Old 08-18-2017, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For me, the flat bottom is so awesome looking and I really didn't want any of the cold weather package. I let two exact cars I wanted go sooner to wait for the flat bottom steering wheel.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pjvd
For me, the flat bottom is so awesome looking and I really didn't want any of the cold weather package. I let two exact cars I wanted go sooner to wait for the flat bottom steering wheel.
I did the same. Have to have the flat bottom wheel. It is so nice a beefy
Old 08-18-2017, 07:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by joe3nyc
I did the same. Have to have the flat bottom wheel. It is so nice a beefy
That was another question I had since I have not seen the CW pckg wheel in person- is the flat-bottom thicker than the round? If so, that might be deal breaker. The M4 round wheel is plenty beefy which is why I'm considering CW.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

While I prefer the flat bottomed steering wheel, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if an otherwise perfect car was available immediately.

I debated on heated vs. flat bottom and I'd have been happy with either (being in New England). Seeing that you are in Texas, I think I might wait, however.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WilliamJake
Dealership close-by just got in the exact car I have been looking for, except that it has the cold weather package. I have not had a chance to stop in to see it, as I have been communicating with the dealerships by email. For those of you with the Cold Weather Pckg, how do you like the round wheel? Does it detract from the steering feel or "sportiness" of the car? Thoughts from either side are appreciated.

My 2014 S4 had the flat-bottom wheel which I thoroughly enjoyed. However, I am driving an M4 for the interim period until I finalize a purchase on an S5 SB, and I must admit that I have enjoyed the round steering wheel in the car much more than expected. It helps with price negotiation if the car is on the lot, so I'm excited to hear you all's thoughts!
It's all personal preference. I have the flat-bottom steering wheel in my car, and 'm not a huge fan so far (never had flat bottom in a previous car). It is awkward when you are doing a lot of turning and it doesn't work well if you ever got into the [bad] habit of using your knee to temporarily steer (say while putting on sunglasses). To each his own...
The following users liked this post:
Davidj22 (02-08-2020)
Old 08-18-2017, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That was another question I had since I have not seen the CW pckg wheel in person- is the flat-bottom thicker than the round? If so, that might be deal breaker. The M4 round wheel is plenty beefy which is why I'm considering CW.
If you build the car online with the Flat bottom wheel you will see that it is thicker, and has flat spots at around 8 and 4 o'clock. I am definitely glad I held out for the flat one. Visually it makes the interior of the car.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe3nyc
If you build the car online with the Flat bottom wheel you will see that it is thicker, and has flat spots at around 8 and 4 o'clock. I am definitely glad I held out for the flat one. Visually it makes the interior of the car.
I too like the flat bottom better. A heated wheel can be substituted by a pair of gloves.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jamis
While I prefer the flat bottomed steering wheel, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if an otherwise perfect car was available immediately.

I debated on heated vs. flat bottom and I'd have been happy with either (being in New England). Seeing that you are in Texas, I think I might wait, however.
I have since moved to the DC Metro, so the CW pckg might not be so bad..
Old 08-18-2017, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

I have since moved to the DC Metro, so the CW pckg might not be so bad..
Any difference in thickness between the two Audi wheels is almost insignificant, and neither are as thick as the M4 wheel. More to do with looks than anything else, in practical terms the round wheel is probably more natural in use as you and some others have noted. Just remember that with the heated wheel, you lose the programable "*" button on the wheel, as that spot is used for the heating function.

Search this Thread