Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Round vs Flat-bottom Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 08:45 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

WTR Heated Wheel; on my A5 the heat seems to be mostly from the 10 & 2 position with most of the heat at the very top/12'oclock

Is this the norm?
Old 08-18-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pjvd
For me, the flat bottom is so awesome looking and I really didn't want any of the cold weather package. I let two exact cars I wanted go sooner to wait for the flat bottom steering wheel.

This ^^^^^^!!!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Any difference in thickness between the two Audi wheels is almost insignificant, and neither are as thick as the M4 wheel. More to do with looks than anything else, in practical terms the round wheel is probably more natural in use as you and some others have noted. Just remember that with the heated wheel, you lose the programable "*" button on the wheel, as that spot is used for the heating function.
Very interesting reply, this helps a lot actually. I think I had the * on my S4 steering wheel, and I can honestly say I never used it. By programmable, I guess you mean that it can function as a media button?
Old 08-18-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WilliamJake
Very interesting reply, this helps a lot actually. I think I had the * on my S4 steering wheel, and I can honestly say I never used it. By programmable, I guess you mean that it can function as a media button?
My * button on my steering wheel is set to Drive Select and I use it when switching between driving modes. I never use the drive select arrow keys under the climate control.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jamis
My * button on my steering wheel is set to Drive Select and I use it when switching between driving modes. I never use the drive select arrow keys under the climate control.
+1, so convenient!
Old 08-18-2017, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Dealership close-by just got in the exact car I have been looking for, except that it has the cold weather package. I have not had a chance to stop in to see it, as I have been communicating with the dealerships by email. For those of you with the Cold Weather Pckg, how do you like the round wheel? Does it detract from the steering feel or "sportiness" of the car? Thoughts from either side are appreciated.

My 2014 S4 had the flat-bottom wheel which I thoroughly enjoyed. However, I am driving an M4 for the interim period until I finalize a purchase on an S5 SB, and I must admit that I have enjoyed the round steering wheel in the car much more than expected. It helps with price negotiation if the car is on the lot, so I'm excited to hear you all's thoughts!
I test drove both wheels and the flat bottom felt much thicker. Also looked better.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
I test drove both wheels and the flat bottom felt much thicker. Also looked better.
Totally agree. Only way to go!
Old 08-18-2017, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by joe3nyc
Totally agree. Only way to go!
Let's say I go with the CW pckg and hate the wheel. Can I have Audi maintenance order the flat bottom wheel part and install or are you stuck with it?
Old 08-18-2017, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Let's say I go with the CW pckg and hate the wheel. Can I have Audi maintenance order the flat bottom wheel part and install or are you stuck with it?
I don't think you will "hate it". I think once you have the FBW you wouldn't want one without it.

Issues: could be a problem with the airbag changeover, wiring for favorites button, and wiring for heated steering wheel. Sounds pretty expensive to me..... But I am guessing
Old 08-18-2017, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

I LOVE the flat bottom steering wheel, especially at low speed full lock turns in parking lots. It just feels so much nicer to grab the corners on the bottom to make those tight turns. And like others have said, it's very convenient to be able to switch to dynamic mode without having to take your hands off the wheel or your eyes off the road.

As for missing the heated wheel, I'm sure I'll miss that for about 20 days a year and I have a nice thin pair or grippy gloves that make it tolerable until the cabin gets up to temperature. Better that then missing out on the sportier wheel the other 345 days of the year!