Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 deal just fell through - please advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS5 deal just fell through - please advise

Apologize in advance for such a long story with my first post but could really use some advice. My wife loves sports cars (previously owned a C55 AMG and Boxster S) and wanted to trade in her 2014 A7 for an RS5 SB. Went to the local dealer (from whom we purchased the A7) in September and placed the order - put down a $1K deposit and agreed to MSRP. Maybe 10 days ago, I learned our RS5 was in port, so made an appointment to get her A7 appraised. Unfortunately, our usual salesperson (a woman, for what it's worth) was out indefinitely due to illness and I met with another salesman instead. The trade offer was fine and he was supposed to notify me when the RS5 reached the dealership. He never called back, so I called him on Wednesday and got no response. Called back Friday morning and left a VM to another no response. Finally, Friday afternoon, I see our car listed on the dealer website with a stock number, so I call back again to be told "yes, your car is here." I'm annoyed, but chalked it up to us not actually being a customer of this particular salesperson. Regardless, we couldn't pick up the RS5 yet anyway because we are waiting for the dealer to order a winter wheel/tire package, but salesman said that we could come in today to get the paperwork done.

I had a lot of kid sports things to handle this morning, so I sent my wife by herself. She was a little nervous, but I gave her all the info - what taxes/fees she should expect, what protections to get, (only AudiCare and wheel rash protection - the same we had on A7), what interest rate is acceptable, etc. She was at this dealer when we purchased the A7 without any hassles, so I guess we both expected everything to be smooth. Then I started getting the phone calls from her - the first interest rate they came back with was 6.5 percent. We have excellent credit (just checked last night to be sure) so this was obviously BS. After some questioning (wife is actually a finance attorney), we magically got down to 3.2 percent. But then, since this wasn't from Audi Financial, the $750 customer loyalty disappeared. I started using my phone to look into the issue when my wife called me back to let me know she had just freaked out on the salesperson (totally out of character for her) and walked away from the deal. Apparently, despite her repeatedly telling him that we only wanted AudiCare and wheel protection, salesperson kept pushing $2500 extended warranties, $1000 environment protection (wraps?). When she told them she felt like she was being bullied, salesperson gave a patronizing response. So she lost her ****, yelled, and left.

So, where do we go from here? I didn't really want the car in the first place, but I would like my deposit back. She, I think, still wants the RS5, but probably won't set foot in the dealer again. Our salewoman is supposedly back on Monday. Do we wait for her to call? Do I go to another dealer? Can I get the deposit back if so? Do we just say screw it, keep the A7 for a while, and shop again in the summer? No matter what, I'm going to have to deal with it.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

On one hand, if they sell your ordered car to someone else, they are obligated to give you your deposit back. If they hassle you on that at all, remember that your wife is a finance attorney: she could quickly type a letter on her firm's letterhead demanding it and I guarantee they will overnight a check vs. spending an afternoon in small claims court.

On the other hand, your usual salesperson is back Monday. What is stopping you from making an appointment with her to complete the deal? You can certainly phone up the sales manager and explain the scenario including the patronizing comments, and say you will simply not do business with this person who insulted your wife.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, not sure about an A7 but dealers in Phoenix and Tucson areas offer 5-6% off MSRP on A5 SportBacks.

You might also want to list your city and or state location, every state has different laws on car sales I believe
Old 01-19-2019, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd first try hard to get your deposit back and shop elsewhere, but if that doesn't work then at least work with the original salesperson. Also I'd stay away from that dealership like a plaque in the future (for services and purchases). They sound horrible.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I work in the industry and they can't legally keep your deposit. They can give you the run around but at the end of the day they should refund the deposit. Personally my dealership is not in the business for keeping deposits so the right thing to do is to always refund the money if the customer isn't happy. If you really want the car wait for your sales person to get back. It sounds like your wife had a bad experience w/the finance department. Just like sales people some are better than others not always a reflection of the dealership.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the opinions, everybody. Sales guy left her a voicemail and email offering a pretty general/meager apology, so we'll decide something tomorrow. One of (1) go back to the original salesperson on Monday with a "this is what we agreed to and I don't want anything else so don't try to sell it to me" kind of statement, (2) get the deposit back and go to another dealer (although none have what we really want in stock right now), or (3) get the deposit back, drive the A7 for a few months, and make a decision once winter is over. Regardless, I see an email to the sales manager in our future, even if it just ends up in the trash.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:39 PM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Order of operations:
  1. Make an appointment with original saleswoman for Monday or ASAP
  2. Do the deal with the trusted saleswoman and, effectively, pretend the other conflagration didn't happen. If this all goes smoothly, you're all done. Yay!
  3. If for some reason #1 and #2 aren't possible or the deal is not satisfactory, speak to a manager, explain, and politely ask for the deposit back
  4. If for some reason they refuse to refund the deposit, have your wife issue a letter on firm letterhead demanding the deposit
  5. If for some reason the legal threat isn't enough to make them pay up (highly unlikely), communicate calmly and professionally with to Audi of America about the situation and get them on your side
  6. Take your business elsewhere

Last edited by Sebastian3; 01-19-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default This is pure BS

Originally Posted by scorchy
Apologize in advance for such a long story with my first post but could really use some advice. My wife loves sports cars (previously owned a C55 AMG and Boxster S) and wanted to trade in her 2014 A7 for an RS5 SB. Went to the local dealer (from whom we purchased the A7) in September and placed the order - put down a $1K deposit and agreed to MSRP. Maybe 10 days ago, I learned our RS5 was in port, so made an appointment to get her A7 appraised. Unfortunately, our usual salesperson (a woman, for what it's worth) was out indefinitely due to illness and I met with another salesman instead. The trade offer was fine and he was supposed to notify me when the RS5 reached the dealership. He never called back, so I called him on Wednesday and got no response. Called back Friday morning and left a VM to another no response. Finally, Friday afternoon, I see our car listed on the dealer website with a stock number, so I call back again to be told "yes, your car is here." I'm annoyed, but chalked it up to us not actually being a customer of this particular salesperson. Regardless, we couldn't pick up the RS5 yet anyway because we are waiting for the dealer to order a winter wheel/tire package, but salesman said that we could come in today to get the paperwork done.

I had a lot of kid sports things to handle this morning, so I sent my wife by herself. She was a little nervous, but I gave her all the info - what taxes/fees she should expect, what protections to get, (only AudiCare and wheel rash protection - the same we had on A7), what interest rate is acceptable, etc. She was at this dealer when we purchased the A7 without any hassles, so I guess we both expected everything to be smooth. Then I started getting the phone calls from her - the first interest rate they came back with was 6.5 percent. We have excellent credit (just checked last night to be sure) so this was obviously BS. After some questioning (wife is actually a finance attorney), we magically got down to 3.2 percent. But then, since this wasn't from Audi Financial, the $750 customer loyalty disappeared. I started using my phone to look into the issue when my wife called me back to let me know she had just freaked out on the salesperson (totally out of character for her) and walked away from the deal. Apparently, despite her repeatedly telling him that we only wanted AudiCare and wheel protection, salesperson kept pushing $2500 extended warranties, $1000 environment protection (wraps?). When she told them she felt like she was being bullied, salesperson gave a patronizing response. So she lost her ****, yelled, and left.

So, where do we go from here? I didn't really want the car in the first place, but I would like my deposit back. She, I think, still wants the RS5, but probably won't set foot in the dealer again. Our salewoman is supposedly back on Monday. Do we wait for her to call? Do I go to another dealer? Can I get the deposit back if so? Do we just say screw it, keep the A7 for a while, and shop again in the summer? No matter what, I'm going to have to deal with it.

I would quit talking to salesman and demand to speak to the General manager and lay out your concerns. There is no way they can obligate you for services/equipment you do not want like extended warranty, paint protection, etc., nor would they let the deal slide if you do not buy them.
I believe your wife should have held her line and not, "lost it" and she would have come out with what you wanted.

Get back in there before the car is gone and work with the GM. At very least he will straighten out his sales staff.

Sad to hear, best of luck.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Sold cars, cars with deposits, etc. all will show up on the dealer website.

The interest rate through AFS is much higher than market rates on an RS anything - it is what it is. They also use an upwards sliding scale...rate increases on terms past 60 months, out to 75 months. Other banks do things differently. And yes, loyalty for January on an RS5 is tied to financing or leasing through Audi. So if you bypass their financing, you also bypass loyalty.

With all that said, there is never a time where a salesperson, or anyone else should be snotty about it. Ever. There isn't a need to. But things should also be clearly spelled out from the beginning, and on the Buyer's Order, so that when it is delivery day, there is no confusion or misunderstandings.

I am a dealer...so if I can help on a deal, lmk, happy to do so
Old 01-19-2019, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Likely going to handle exactly like this. Hopefully it ends at step 2.

Quick Reply: RS5 deal just fell through - please advise