Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 has limited options

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Yes...MB and BMW all offered their entire selection from launch, just as Audi does. No colors are "delayed" due to RS introduction. Name one time Audi added an interior color after launch? No example to be had....launch has nothing to do with limited colors. And if Audi wants to base future decisions by only consider past experience, that's a problem....if you never try new offerings you have no data to back up what the sales rate was, so.....

I have no idea where you are getting your interior color options from, but your examples of availably are not accurate. For example, the TTS is available with 8 different interior choices (8!!!) including Express Red Rotor Grey, Catendula Yellow, Crimson Red, and Cloudy Grey (the latter 3 being dual-toned options). FYI the TTS has the best interiors choices offered now with these new-dual-tone options in my opinion, something far more exciting than all-black and choices.

You'll also recall the TT was available with Admiral Blue and Murillo Brown tri-colored interior options. That means Audi's entry-level 2 door sports car has been offered with seventeen (17!!!) different interior choices for Mark 3 cars in 3 years...and it's one of their lowest production cars they make. So if Audi can make an entry level car with 17 interior options is must not really be all about "not enough demand" or "trying to save money" or "salves volumes too low to offer choices"..... Just saying.....
I have the build guide in front of me, for a TTS, as an example, but I can look at any model easily.

Black, Express Red, and Rotor Gray are your standard interior choices. 3 colors. Dassit.

With an Audi Exclusive order, you can choose from Calendula Yellow, Cloudy Gray, or Crimson Red trims/stitch, on otherwise black seats. Which is why I said they are derivations of black seats. I inaccurately said 5 yesterday - meant to say 6. 3 of which are the exclusive trims, at $6200 a piece. I don't see where you are getting 8 from, but neither here nor there at this point I suppose. To you, these colorways within the Exclusive offering might be the best, even with the added cost (which represents a larger % of the car price than it would on an RS5). To others, they won't be considered (I had one customer I showed it too say it looked gaudy...just an example). All depends on the beholder. That same treatment is offered in an RS5 too, just not predetermined colorways. But if you wanted your RS5 seats done just like a TTS, you can have it, at an extra cost, like it's an extra cost in a TTS, or anything else in their range.

For some, the increased colorway options of the M4 may be a deciding factor. For others, the Quattro in an RS5 may be the deciding factor.

I'm not saying more choices wouldn't be a bad thing. But their choices are consistent throughout the model range.

And yes, I remember the Admiral Blue. Can't say I ever saw a tri color brown. But how many people opted for it? Perhaps that data is why they chose to go in the direction they have. I guess if they get enough demand, and enough pushback, those things can change. Audi, like any major brand, has a product advisory board that is made up, among other things, dealership personnel.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Can't say I ever saw a tri color brown. But how many people opted for it?
Well I opted for it....and it literally is my favorite part of the car. The compliments I get on my interior are endless, including all of the extended leather, 3 stitching colors, anthracite aluminum and slate gray lacquered trim (oh, and the special, tri-color woven berber floor mats). You can't deny this is vastly more interesting than all-black and adds a special factor to the ownership...all for around $700. These interiors were highly sought after, but hard to come buy as Audi built so few. Makes sense....Audi offers an exceptional interior package and then builds almost none of them and wonders why people didn't buy them..... Mine was special ordered and is one of 15 paired with tango red.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

ok - so at only $700, 15 people opted for it. If you are in love with it, that is awesome.

Audi will build what a customer, or a dealership, requests them to. Sometimes a dealership gets creative...and it works. Other times, they take a chance, and they are stuck with a colorway scheme no one wants. Which odds would you play? As such, better to present all the options to a client, and if they want a build done a certain way, it can be done...on an as ordered basis. I do factory builds all the time for clients because the way they want it isn't in the marketplace. But the bulk of sales is always made up of cars that already exist. Is that the fault of the marketplace, or is it more emblematic that these particular clients want colors and/or combinations of options (the usual factor), that isn't out there other than via a build? The order I took this morning is a perfect example of the latter. Nothing particularly unique about the vehicle he wants on paper. Except only 1 exists in the country in reality, and it has 1 more feature he wasn't even looking for. We will see if I am able to secure it, and if not, we will simply do it as a build.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
ok - so at only $700, 15 people opted for it. If you are in love with it, that is awesome..
15 people ordered in in combination with a red exterior....many other people chose this color. In fact it's so popular it's offered in the TT RS in other parts of the world. See....other parts of the world have RS cars that don't have these limited choices. That's my entire point. Audi could offer more colors, 1 additional color already exists for the TT RS, just not in our market. It has nothing to do with cost.

I've ordered endless numbers of cars for clients and ordered the bulk of on-hand inventory at one point. I'm well aware of stocking cars that will sell and "taking risks"......it was my job for a number of years. Dealers might order more options for their lots if they actually had choices and Audi didn't force them allocations that were mostly all-black interiors.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

This discussion is drifting a very long way from options on RS vehicles.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Audi's early launch models are typically always in a limited quantity and with limited options. I am willing to bet it will open up significantly with the 2019 model year.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The red interior too gaudy. I agree.

As far as comparing the seats between the S5 and RS5, I was surprised to see the S5 came with the massage seats! That was limited to the A8 for so long.

I found a very similar discussion on the M2 site about options on interior colors. It's a more limited production number so less options on colors makes sense. I am not sure how many Audi's were sold with that red interior, but even the RS7 option of the red interior was too much.

For one, I like the Daytona Grey Pearl and the silver leather interior. Like your home, if you want extra colors add something that can be removed easily like some flashy floor mats or a gaudy seat cover. Don't paint and paper and carpet with crazy colors. They get old.

I am more interested in the drive anyway!

Mike

Last edited by Dr.Aronis; 03-18-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Dealers might order more options for their lots if they actually had choices and Audi didn't force them allocations that were mostly all-black interiors.
This isn't true. If Audi gave us an allocation for say 10 A4s, we could have them all with beige interior if we really wanted. Sometimes we even do something like this for inventory. Allocation is just how many cars of each model we get, but we can build them how we want (as long as it is available in the order guide).

RS5 has limited options-waldiqw.jpg
Old 03-18-2018, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Why is farmer jones so pissed off? did someone **** in his corn flakes? Is he just this entitled because of the Iowa Caucus factor? The word will never know the answer.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Why is farmer jones so pissed off? did someone **** in his corn flakes? Is he just this entitled because of the Iowa Caucus factor? The word will never know the answer.
Wow. That seems very aggressive, unnecessary and rude. Sorry myself (along with countless others) have a different viewpoint on the color palate available. I love it when people tell me what I like is gaudy and no one wants...and then the sales figures show the exact opposite. As if your color opinion is someone more valid than mine, you view the correct view and mine wrong...thats a swell attitude to have! There is no need to not be civil. Seems rather chilling to send a private message to berate me as well...but that's what a couple of you did. I expected a better manners on this site.

When it comes to allocations about other interior colors besides black my 2 dealers (in 2 different states) tell me a very different story that what's presented here about readily available cars that are not black interiors. Was at the Iowa Auto Show this weekend where the RS5 was on display....while there a heard many people grumble about the fact the only interiors were grey and black. Guess I'm not alone in my opinion. Probably didn't help that MB and BWM brought M/AMG cars that had interiors other than black on display....the red, white and brown interiors in those cars had a lot of people taking pics and making comments Also heard more than one comment that the RS5 looked "almost exactly" like the S5 on display. R8 had red interior on display....people were commenting on how good it looked. Simply sharing some comments I heard first had at the show on Saturday...all in line with mine.

Quick Reply: RS5 has limited options